SASS Wire Forum

How do you work out shooting a match twice?

Mustang Gregg

We are pondering allowing shooters to shoot more than once (using 2 different categories).

Now keep in mind that this is for our local match.  NOT AN ANNUAL OR ANYTHING BIG.

For those who have done it, do you have them use a different alias to keep stats straight?

And I reckon that these shooters would have to declare which category they are in PRIOR to firing the stage.

How do you run it?  Charge for it?  Any hints will help.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Mustang Gregg 

Lincoln Area Regulators

Comin AtCha let's you shoot in a couple of different categories at their big match in Texas.  I'm not sure how they work the scoring but they do a good job of making it happen.

Kajun

Comin At Cha allows a second category at the annual. $35 added charge. Wild Bunch & PCC included in base match fee. Shooters 2nd category is added to his alias - ie Yusta B for 1st category & Yusta B CC for Classic Cowboy as second. This is for the annual match at Badlands Bar 3.

Using  CominAtCha as an example, the category is handled as above, but each category is shot on a different shift, which makes it work.

Your results may vary, but the only times I’ve seen it done on a single shift match it resulted in having posse members that did nothing but shoot while everyone else carried their weight. 

It was tried years ago but seemed to die out quickly.  We recently allowed it again when we pick up the 5th Sunday matches, kinda like a trial basis.

We have tried it and refined it to the following:

Match fees at monthly matches are $10 and if the shooter wants to shoot twice, the 2nd time is $5.

Shooter's 2nd registration is the alias with a 2 added.
Shooter shoots early in the posse and after the ULT, gets back in line ASAP at the LT for the 2nd go round.  This seems to help with the issue of shortage of workers.

Like yours, shooter must shoot in 2 different categories.  

Few do try it but most have found it somewhat tiring.  

Logan’s Ferry Regulators used to do it. They called it the grudge match. Regular math fee is $15 but if you wanted to shoot twice you paid an extra $10 only the first time through was scored. The second time was just for fun. You got your time but it was not scored. 

Up at Cajon there will, on occasion,  be a shooter or two that shoot the match CAS and WB or Pike. They bring two sets of leather and guns and it makes for a full gun cart. They use their alias plus Pike on the end.

Well, thanks for the intell, fellers.   

We are going to give it a try at our first couple of 2020 shoots at Lincoln Area Regulators.

That will be April 04 & May 02, for sure.  And we will see how it goes before attempting June, August, September and October's matches.

BTW:  We will not shoot a July match, because it falls on INDEPENDENCE DAY!

Much obliged,

Mustang

OT SIDE BAR----
This gives me an idea to write the normal 6 stages as WB-possible (except for GF's) this season.

Mustang

Hey Mustang  :D   Some Lustrum ago, I use to shoot WB "Gunfighter."  Yepper, TWO 1911s spitting lead and fired cases.  Gobs of fun.  Went to the line, then cocked and locked in holster, wait for the beep.  Then SASS spoiled WB.  OH WELL.

Hey Mustang  :D   Some Lustrum ago, I use to shoot WB "Gunfighter."  Yepper, TWO 1911s spitting lead and fired cases.  Gobs of fun.  Went to the line, then cocked and locked in holster, wait for the beep.  Then SASS spoiled WB.  OH WELL.

Wild bunch gunfighter is my dream. Heck I would even shoot it with one 1911 and one SAA if that helped folks feel better about clearing it.

Comin At Cha allows a second category at the annual. $35 added charge. Wild Bunch & PCC included in base match fee. Shooters 2nd category is added to his alias - ie Yusta B for 1st category & Yusta B CC for Classic Cowboy as second. This is for the annual match at Badlands Bar 3.

The next time I go to Comin At Cha I plan to try and shoot in three categories, all three waves.  Once 49er, once Gunfighter, and once Outlaw.  24 stages in three days would be a hoot.

The next time I go to Comin At Cha I plan to try and shoot in three categories, all three waves.  Once 49er, once Gunfighter, and once Outlaw.  24 stages in three days would be a hoot.

My son shot 2 categories last year & also the PCC match. He was a tired puppy !

One thing about allowing a shooter to shoot 2 categories at the same match at the same time with the posse, some matches don't have many shooters and it's hard to have enough people to get the brass, run the timer, spot and man the loading and unloading tables.  If you have a shooter who shooters early and then turns around and gets back in line to shoot the second category that's one less person to get the posse tasks done.  You just need to be able to address that if you are going to allow multiple categories at the same match.  If you have large posses you can work that out a bit easier than with small posses.

Kajun

36?

Can receive a buckle/ trophy in all 3 ?

After 24 stages at Comin at Cha. I was beat. Sounds easy, but the heat got to everybody. Shot in August in Texas....

You're still tired... CAC was the end of September, not that it was all that less HOT!

You are correct. I looked at the wrong calendar.

It give me no pleasure... unlike when my son sez, "you're right Dad."  Because he's usually put a $ bet on the outcome!!!!  :o

As to the original question:   "How do you work out shooting a match twice?"

It's best to begin a regime of walking at least 5 miles a day, preferably all 5 consecutively, increasing the number of situps one does on a daily basis from none, to 100 at least six months prior the match, utilizing both curls and pullups in a like manner.  Decreasing alcohol consumption and reducing tobacco use will also aid the increased stamina needed to be competitive!   Or, you can be like me and need at least a week's vacation to recover after the ordeal!!!

I like that idea. I would say I'm my opinion. You would have to declare your main category when u sign up. And u only count that score. Your secondary category would be a unofficial score. It's just to get practice shots in...

Around here that is why we have a Professional side match and not a WB side match.

One of the 2nd categories we allow is "1911".  Shooter may use the 1911 in place of the pistols.  WB matches are not as popular in our area, but many shooters have the gun and want some practice with it.  We do offer the outlaw category but it's not widely popular.  However, it's somewhat popular as a 2nd category.  As for having enough workers, we have found that if a shooter gets right back in line at the LT after the first go round, it does not have as big an effect on getting enough workers as it does if the shooter shoots in the first half of the posse and then again much later, simply because, no one seems to need relieved.  Many years ago it was tried without this stipulation and it failed because the shooter pretty much only shot and never worked due to much wider spacing.  I don't think we've ever had more than two shooters on a posse that are shooting twice.  It hasn't proven to be a problem to have enough workers using this method simply because only a few folks want to shoot twice.  
The positive things about it are:  a little boost in club revenue, and because we picked up those 5th Sunday matches (the only time we offer it) we give shooters that come to our range when there's nowhere else to shoot, a little bonus.  We call these matches our bonus matches.  

Archived