SASS Wire Forum

Gun Confiscation Is Here

Ripsaw

I don't know if this topic is permitted here, but it's extremely important that everyone understand what is happening in Virginia. 

Once a relatively gun-friendly state, with the Bloomberg-funded Democrat take over of the state legislature a month ago, a bunch of anti-2A bills have been pre-filed for the upcoming legislative session early next month.  Virginia gun owners have mobilized to try to stop this gun confiscation effort.  The proposed laws are far more restrictive than any other state, including CA, MA, etc. 

The purpose of this post is to provide information and links in case anyone is interested, and NOT to start a political discussion on the topic. I imagine we all share similar views, so no need to "preach to the choir" as it were.  If you are so inclined, there are opportunities to contribute to the grass roots efforts identified in the links below. 

I have seen comments that compare this first effort at gun confiscation to the British' effort to disarm and confiscate Massachusetts' militia supplies in 1775, which led to the battles of Lexington and Concord.  

Senate Bill 16 (SB16) here: https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+sum+SB16

Prohibits possession of virtually all AR style rifles and pistols (and, individually, their component parts) as well as some auto loading shotguns. There is no grandfather clause, and possession is a felony.  No so-called "buy back" program is specified, so it's up to each person to dispose of their prohibited firearms.  Magazines larger than 10 rounds that you possess are grandfathered, but you cannot transfer, sell or import them. 

SB 64 here: https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+sum+SB64

Prohibits firearms training or assembly with intent to intimidate or cause civil unrest. Teachers and facilities could be charged with a felony should a trainee open (or concealed) carry to a rally for example (only takes one person to claim they are intimidated). 

There are several other equally onerous bills, including universal background checks (and gun registry), red flag law, raising gun purchase age to 21, prohibit access to a firearm to anyone under 18.  

Patriots in Virginia are rallying and working to pass local resolutions declaring counties and cities as Second Amendment Sanctuaries. Effort is described here:  https://www.vcdl.org/

There is a planned large rally on 1-20-20 at the VA state capital. 

An effort to recall the Governor is here: https://virginiaconservatives.net/

National Media have reacted this way: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/mischief-makers-with-an-agenda-promote-gun-sanctuaries-in-virginia/2019/11/29/d93f3830-106e-11ea-bf62-eadd5d11f559_story.html

If you are on Facebook, search for Virginia Gun Owners Forum (VGOF) for discussion updates. 

If it can happen in Virginia, it can happen in other states. 

The NRA has not been very vocal on this situation so far, even though their headquarters are in Virginia. I am assuming they are marshaling their resources for a court battle when the time comes. They are leaving the existing efforts alone as they carry more weight as a grass roots revolt rather than an "NRA funded campaign." There is some wisdom in that approach I think. 

Wish us luck. It's going to be an interesting situation. 

This probably belongs in Team SASS.

Regardless I'll pray for Virginia and donate to the NRA and GOA.

Maybe technically it belongs in Team SSAS but as having recently been mentioned Team SASS rarely gets visited and most of the topics there are not read by supposedly very pro gun people on this board. I think this topic needs to remain right where it is.

Firearms and Pro 2A advocacy of any discipline belongs to all of us and should not be quarantined to a corner rendering this infomation less useful, CAS people and otherwise.

I love Idaho!!!:D

Here's the status of our 2A Sanctuary effort. 

78987860_10156583566161611_3325981253357797376_o.png

I hope this topic stays here and maybe on Team SASS also!

It should be on ALL of the Forums including the Merchant one. There are some that don't visit any of them but one, therefore this topic should be on all of them.

If anyone thinks that they'll stop at Virginia, they are wrong. If anyone thinks they'll stop at so called assault rifles, they are wrong. They're not going to stop.....ever.

They are like termites, they keep chewing away until your once sturdy house is a fallen pile of termite crap and you look back and say "How did this happen".

I just did an article for my monthly column for Illinois "Gun News." December 2019 issue. Page 6.

"Is Illinois the next Virginia?"

My concern is that Illinois gun owners have become too complacent. When you have over 1.5 million FOID cards on file, but get only 2000 or so to EMAIL opposition to a gun bill, that is a problem. There are too many unnecessary divides among us. The guy who shoots trap, doesn't care about an AR-15 or 30 round mags, etc. So he does nothing. Until you can destroy that mindset, you are not going to gain any ground.

Remember Mr. Hooper (Richard Dreyfuss) telling the mayor of Amity in "JAWS."

"I think you are going to ignore this particular problem until it swims up here and bites you on the ass!"

Hoping for the best for our Virginia pards.

GunNews_Dec2019web.pdf

Virginians have become complacent. Voting is a duty for a free republic.

There surely is some truth in this, but I doubt it's confined to Virginia. Over the past couple years,  the courts re-drew state house and senate voting districts and the narrow Republican majorities in both state houses were lost with just a few seats being turned by $millions poured into these few races by Bloomberg's Every Town for Gun Safety. 

Some local folks have expressed dismay at the lackluster Republican response, but I'm not sure how they could counter the millions of dollars being spent.  I've read that the Republican voters actually turned out in larger than expected numbers, but perhaps in the already "Red" districts. Northern Virginia, often blamed for the shift from Red to Blue,  has a very large and dense population of federal employees, lobbyists and federal contractors as well as folks fleeing crime-ridden Maryland, who apparently brought their politics with them. Also, the larger cities tend to vote Democrat as well--Richmond, Roanoke, Norfolk, etc. The rest of the state is largely rural and votes Republican. Just look at the 2A map I posted earlier if you want to see the distribution. Kind of a miniature version of the US map, isn't it? 

There are two very interesting things happening to counter the proposed gun restrictions.  

Culpeper county Sheriff vows to deputize thousands to preserve their gun rights. 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/virgina-sheriff-vows-to-deputize-resident-in-response-to-expected-gun-control-legislation-from-state-democratic-lawmakers

Tazewell County has passed a Militia resolution, implementing a provision of the Virginia State constitution

https://wvva.com/2019/12/09/militia-resolution-provides-extra-protection-for-tazewell-county-residents/

Folks, we are seeing a real uprising in the state.  My county Board of Supervisors meets Thursday. I'll be there, along with a thousand or more other 2A supporters. 

Totally agree about leaving it here!  I am surprised that Virginia is going this way, next you know they will outlawing coal mining as well. Thanks for posting it. 

Maybe last update for tonight.   Virginia Patriots. Makes me proud to see this. 

Just to put this in perspective, the local Board of Supervisors and City Council meetings are being absolutely swamped by thousands of 2A supporters. The meeting rooms are filled to overflowing with many more outside the courthouses and county admin buildings, all over the state. Many meetings have been moved to local high school auditoriums due to the large crowds. 

The circular orange stickers you see on people are "Guns Save Lives" stickers passed out by the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL.ORG) the most active gun rights organization in the state. 

image.png

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_4706.jpeg

IMG_4745.jpeg

I love Idaho!!!:D

Given that Idaho is in the top 10 states for population growth. In a few years it could be next. I love Texas yet we are under an ever increasing threat by bloomberg and his minions as millions of people move here every year from deep blue states.

Look at what has happened to Washington State. None of the recent gun laws would stand a ghost of a chance of passing in the legislature but when placed on a ballot, 5 counties have a large enough population to out vote the other 34. :( Bloomberg and his minions paid for all the petitions that allowed those laws to make it on the ballot.

We are quite concerned about the influx from California, Seattle and Portland. Currently, they are concentrated in the Boise area. I had a Californian move near me and tried to shut down my gun range.

PLEASE DON"T KALIFONICATE MY IDAHO!

Our legislature passed 11 separate gun range and gun enabling laws after a California lawyer tried to shut down our largest shooting range.

The assholes are out there but we are doing our best to symie them.

Just in, the Dems, in the face of the widespread protests, are back pedaling.  An attempt at appeasement. 

https://www.virginiamercury.com/2019/12/09/northam-backed-assault-weapon-bill-will-include-grandfather-clause-for-existing-guns/?fbclid=IwAR3rjJrI8N4Vsi5qDAzuYvNxotHuGNyu4vsZU1TqHIACpP42dHGpRyBHrf8

You can keep your AR if you register it.  Right. 

This had been predicted--the confiscation bill was a negotiation ploy so everyone would be relieved when they put the grandfather clause back in. I don't think it's gonna fly at this point. People are too upset. They overplayed their hand by poking the bear. 

Illinois went from purple to blue blue in 20 years and now will tee up draconian gun control laws once they finish with all the across the board tax increases. So  I feel for  Virginia - lots of years I thought we could win the vote - that people would see how crazy things were and vote the politicians out - but like California it just got worse and worse. I finally realized that I could keep fighting it but it would never win - Chicago runs the state - like LA and San Fran run California and New York City runs New York. I still fight while I'm here and always will, but no more false hope. The USSC is the only hope for Illinois, NY, and California and they haven't done anything in 10 years since MacDonald. 

ilsanctuarymap.png

We are quite concerned about the influx from California, Seattle and Portland. Currently, they are concentrated in the Boise area. I had a Californian move near me and tried to shut down my gun range.

PLEASE DON"T KALIFONICATE MY IDAHO!

Our legislature passed 11 separate gun range and gun enabling laws after a California lawyer tried to shut down our largest shooting range.

The assholes are out there but we are doing our best to symie them.

Do you have a link to this?

TNX!

OLG 

Maybe last update for tonight.   Virginia Patriots. Makes me proud to see this. 

Just to put this in perspective, the local Board of Supervisors and City Council meetings are being absolutely swamped by thousands of 2A supporters. The meeting rooms are filled to overflowing with many more outside the courthouses and county admin buildings, all over the state. Many meetings have been moved to local high school auditoriums due to the large crowds. 

The circular orange stickers you see on people are "Guns Save Lives" stickers passed out by the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL.ORG) the most active gun rights organization in the state. 

image.png

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_4706.jpeg

IMG_4745.jpeg

Many years ago I attended just the same kind of rally at the state capitol building.  Some 30,000 prople showed up.  Got home to watch the 10:00 o'clock news.  Not a peep.

Pro 2a people rejoiced at the results of the last national election.  We won!  No, I said, it just means the anti-gun movement will just go to local and state level.  These people have unlimited funding, the news media,  social media and school indoctrination on their side and are fighting a war of attrition.  

How is this stuff constitutional? :blink:

I'm no lawyer, so I may get the exact language or terms here incorrect, but this is the basic situation in VA and surrounding states.

Justice Scalia in the DC vs. Heller struck down the DC handgun ban but held that the Second Amendment gives citizens a right to own weapons “in common use at the time.” Justice Scalia said, however, that not every gun meets that definition. “The Second Amendment does not protect those weapons not typically possessed by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes,” he wrote in Heller. Specifically, the Heller opinion cited “the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of ‘dangerous and unusual weapons,’” such as “weapons that are most useful in military service—M–16 rifles and the like.”

Virginia falls under the 4th Circuit Court.   Following draconian gun laws issued in MD and NJ, where assault firearm sales are prohibited but ownership is grandfathered, the 4th circuit ruled that ARs and the like are unusual types of weapons, not commonly in use. So the 4th circuit found a way to limit ARs by declaring them unusual. 

The only way to reverse this position is for it to go back to the Supreme Court.  

Many years ago I attended just the same kind of rally at the state capitol building.  Some 30,000 prople showed up.  Got home to watch the 10:00 o'clock news.  Not a peep.

Pro 2a people rejoiced at the results of the last national election.  We won!  No, I said, it just means the anti-gun movement will just go to local and state level.  These people have unlimited funding, the news media,  social media and school indoctrination on their side and are fighting a war of attrition.  

All willing to meet in a gun-free zone.

I was in London, a number of years ago on the weekend before the House of Lords was voting on outlawing all rifles and handguns. There was a demonstration against the proposed law by thousands of law abiding citizens, which culminated in a march through central London.  There was not one mention of the march, or film for that matter, on the evening news or in the print media.  The law passed without comment.  

How is this stuff constitutional? :blink:

Come on man.  It's a 'living breathing' document don't cha know?  It simply grew a new 'emanation' which created a 'penumbra' leading to this 'totally constitutional' limitation on Virginian's rights. 

It's got to be true cause a bunch of very well educated people dressed in black robes said so.  And they used really big words when they did, so that makes it even truer. 

A very close friend (my Pop) told me (and everyone who would listen) that this would happen.

He told us in the 70s that this was coming. People thought he was a radical...unrealistic. Not so unrealistic now, huh?

Think about it, VERY rich and powerful people want more riches and more power. They use governments and laws to accomplish this.

We (FREE gun owners) are one of their only blocks to this. Remember the whole "being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"? Stand up people! VOTE THEM OUT! If they don't support the Second Amendment, get rid of them.

Yes, it's difficult; yes, it's an uphill battle; yes, they have the media (99.9% of it) in their pocket.

Or... you can be sheep. Your choice

Come on man.  It's a 'living breathing' document don't cha know?  It simply grew a new 'emanation' which created a 'penumbra' leading to this 'totally constitutional' limitation on Virginian's rights. 

It's got to be true cause a bunch of very well educated people dressed in black robes said so.  And they used really big words when they did, so that makes it even truer. 

"Truer" words never spokuth!!

Mike

I have been preaching for years to Go Vote Them Out of Office !  ! ! 

They work for us ! 

I have even been band off the SASS Wire because of it  in the past , Because people got their feelings hurt ! 

So I have just been laying back and Watching.  

Now you can see what I was saying  .

THEY WORK FOR US ! 

We put them in office .

WE NEED TO PUT THEM OUT OF OFFICE  ! 

YOU GET IT NOW ?

I knew there was a reason West Virginia separated from Virginia in 1863, we just didn't know when it might come to this.

In West by God Virginia, if I can afford the firearm of my choice, then I can legally keep it.

Pretty damn scary when the only thing keeping you "free" is County Officials. My CCW Permit is issued by the county. Lots of Counties here make it impossible to get one. When a state turns and the big cities take over the vote, voters from more rural areas don't matter any longer. It has become taxation without representation.

Then the authorities start to turn up the heat on law abiding folks like in the link below:

Archived