SASS Wire Forum

George J. Laurer

Rye Miles #13621

It was a Thursday morning when the first unique sticker of white and black lines facilitated the purchase of a 10-pack of Juicy Fruit gum, from Chicago-based Wm. Wrigley Jr. Co. The bar code was scanned at 8:01 a.m. on June 26, 1974 at a Marsh supermarket in Troy, Ohio.

It was a Thursday morning when the first unique sticker of white and black lines facilitated the purchase of a 10-pack of Juicy Fruit gum, from Chicago-based Wm. Wrigley Jr. Co. The bar code was scanned at 8:01 a.m. on June 26, 1974 at a Marsh supermarket in Troy, Ohio.

And ever since that moment, the cashiers have gotten dumber and dumber. These days if the bar code is somehow obscured or missing they have no idea what to do.

I can't say that it hasn't helped speed things up because it obviously it has but it has also slowed down learning and the mental intelligence of people.....much like the cell phone and computers.

And ever since that moment, the cashiers have gotten dumber and dumber. These days if the bar code is somehow obscured or missing they have no idea what to do.

I can't say that it hasn't helped speed things up because it obviously it has but it has also slowed down learning and the mental intelligence of people.....much like the cell phone and computers.

The stores I go to if the bar code doesn't work they enter the bar code number by hand and everything's fine! You must just have really dumb cashiers!:P 

It's also stopped the tiresome task of pricing every single item in the store by hand!

Cell phones and computers have helped the human race intelligence as far as I'm concerned. I guess we disagree!;)

The stores I go to if the bar code doesn't work they enter the bar code number by hand and everything's fine! You must just have really dumb cashiers!:P 

It's also stopped the tiresome task of pricing every single item in the store by hand!

Cell phones and computers have helped the human race intelligence as far as I'm concerned. I guess we disagree!;)

I agree that we disagree on this one. It is an amicable disagreement and yes there are some (stupid) dumb cashiers around here. If you asked most of them to give you change for a penny they'd probably give you two dimes. 

I agree that we disagree on this one. It is an amicable disagreement and yes there are some (stupid) dumb cashiers around here. If you asked most of them to give you change for a penny they'd probably give you two dimes. 

The computer/register tells them what to give!! I agree without the register some of them are lost!:o

Archived