SASS Wire Forum

Is cutting wet grass hard on it?

Alpo

I know it can be hard on the lawn mower.

It rained most of the night. Finally stopped about 8:00 this morning. About 8:30 I hear a engine, look out the window and some lawn service is cutting the grass across the street.

Made me wonder.

I always cut my grass first thing in the morning, usually start before 8:30am. Almost always, the grass is wet from the dew or rain the night before.

Pros:

- Cuts down on the dust.

- Much cooler with lower humidity

- It's when I have the most energy and feel like doing it.

- The neighbor that I can't stand doesn't like it.

Cons:

- Harder on the mower/weedeater.

- Chance of slipping on the wet grass.

- Grass sometimes sticks to the bottom of the mower, crabgrass in particular....that stuff is like glue.

- The neighbor that I do like doesn't like it.

I don't know if it's harder on the grass or not but that's when I'm going to continue doing it. Just way to hot and humid in the afternoon.

When the ground is wet cutting the grass can pull up the grass by the roots.

This happens when using dull cutting blades.

Keep them sharp if you cut wet grass.

The newer the grass the easier it pulls out of the ground.

Older established grass, not so much.

That's not a problem in Wyoming.

And, we only mow for three or four months. I mow my lawn 3-4 times a season. I'm usually black from dust when I'm done, I cut 3-4 acres. Mostly in case of wildfire.

Like Cliff said. If the blades are sharp it’s ok.

Cutting wet grass is hard on mower engines. Puts extra strain on them. It’s also bad for the cutter shaft bearings. It also makes cleaning them harder.  

I never cut grass when it's wet, my neighbor on the other hand has a lawn service that cuts it once a week even when it's raining! My grass looks 100% better than hers. I always thought you could damage the grass by cutting it when it's wet. I think my Dad told me that but I don't know why!:o

Also if ground is wet enough to be soft----mowers wheels will make big old ugly ruts----especially when turning------my neighbor does it a lot his yard looks like Sh*****T   but he don't care--just wants to get it done & go fishing--(he got a good point there)

The grass tends to come out of the mower in clumps, the wheels gum up with the stuff and leave tracks of more clumps. If this bothers you, you mow it again to spread the mess out. Not recommended if you like a beautiful yard.

My current yard care philosophy is very environmentally friendly.  I don't cut the grass anymore than I absolutely have to in order to maintain civil relations with my neighbors.  Why waste the time and the gas and the wear and tear on the equipment?

Cutting on wet ground is rough on the grass.  My neighbor does it and I refuse to.  Their yard looks like crap adjacent to where mine looks healthy.  Never cared for the stripes left by cutting grass in the mud.

Here in the perpetually soggy PNW I usually have no other choice. It's either cut the grass between rain squalls or be prepared to end up with my home looking like a lost Mayan city in the jungle. The only time it isn't always raining is mid-summer when the grass usually turns brown and stops growing for awhile anyway.

As a boy at home, working in the family oilfield, we inherited badly overgrown foot paths from Granddad.
We cut it back with a scythe (I wondered why dear old Dad sired two sons, that's the summer I found out!) -- then used a push mower to keep it mowed back.
Once we were done, you could walk the path wearing low quarters if you wanted.
I learned that when the Old Man said cut grass, you cut it, wet or not -- but I also found out that, when it was wet, and it was caking up under the deck, pull the mower over a water puddle.
Run the throttle wide open.
It'll jerk and try to stall and the whipping water will clean out from under the deck in fine shape.

Yes.  Cutting wet grass is hard on the plants.  Rather than cutting it cleanly, the blade tears the grass.

Coffinmaker nailed it!;)

I have hated lawn mowing all my life.  I still mow my own because I don’t want to admit that I’m too old to do it anymore.  Darned if I will let that stuff beat me now!

;)

Archived