SASS Wire Forum

Massachusetts: Hearing on Bill to Mandate Doctors Push State’s Anti-Gun Agenda

Charlie T Waite

On December 10th, the Massachusetts Joint Committee on Public Health will hear House Bill 2005 to impose a mandatory requirement for doctors to ask patients about firearms in their homes and for the type of “counseling” they would have to provide for those who have firearms. This would essentially deputize health care professionals to spread whatever anti-gun propaganda the state wishes. Please contact committee members and urge them to OPPOSE H.2005.

click-here-take-action.gif?width=500&hei

House Bill 2005, sponsored by Representative Jon Santiago (D-9th Suffolk), would direct state authorities to create a program for doctors to “screen all patients for the presence of firearms in the home” and would vaguely call for “guidelines for safety counseling for individuals that screen positive for the presence of firearms.” The government would inject itself into the vital doctor-patient relationship. Injecting politics and ideology into this relationship will sow distrust and resentment that could lead to adverse healthcare outcomes for the patient.

Again, please contact committee members and urge them to OPPOSE H.2005. In addition, NRA members and Second Amendment supporters are encouraged to attend the public hearing. Details may be found here and below:

December 10th, 2019, from 1:00PM-5:00PM
Hearing Room A-2
24 Beacon St.
Boston, MA 02133

This is absolute nonsense.  The State wants to REQUIRE doctors to "screen" their patients for "guns in the home", and then "counsel" them accordingly.  The state already knows that I own guns; my carry permit is current, so they know who I am and where I am, and that I own at least one gun.  Every time I buy or sell a gun, the state gets a copy of the state-required paperwork.  They know that I have already passed multiple NCIS background checks.  They know that my police chief has interviewed me, and determined that I am an "appropriate person" to own and carry a firearm.  They already require me to keep my firearms under lock and key, stored in an approved safe unless on my person.  What exactly do they expect my doctor (who wouldn't know which end of a gun to point at a target) to "counsel" me on?  This is laughable and/or duplicitous.  Are they trying to develop a data base of owners to cross-check against existing records?  Or is it just to show constituents that they are "doing something"?  None of this will touch illegal guns or unlicensed owners; they will not incriminate themselves just because the questions are asked by their doctors. So who will benefit?  How will this stop crime?  Or deter "gun violence", the purported target of the legislation?

And when I tell my MD that I decline to answer these questions, what does the state do?  Send a Trooper?

Will said Trooper have to answer those questions for the doctor too?

Archived