SASS Wire Forum

Due diligence for buyer

Dusty Boots

Hello , I am new to SASS and in the process of buying the necessary guns, equipment, etc.   I would appreciate any tips or suggestions on ways to find out how reputable online gun dealers are since I can not deal with them in person. I would be confident dealing with many of the well known dealers and those who are mentioned here, but I have come across some guns listed with small  businesses out of state.  Their pricing appears to be very reasonable. And the posted photos don’t show any obvious flaws. Some are on Gun Broker some are not.  I don’t know if listing there carries any weight as far as being reputable. 

Thanks for any help.

Have you been to any matches? If not, don't buy anydangthing until you do. 

I've bought guns on gunbroker and had no issue.

Watch the classifieds here for decent deals. 

And welcome to the best game there is.

Ditto what Tyrel Cody said.

I started out with 45 Colts. Was in the game a couple years and decided I'd be better off with 44-40's. Later the wife thought she'd like to try the sport.

Now I have 45 Colt's, 44-40's and 357's. At some point I need to down size maybe.!?

Knowing what manufacture you prefer will also help in choosing your caliber. 

As other have said, try before you buy. Adding your approximate location (ie Fort Worth TX) in the area under your alias would prove to be beneficial for assistance and steering you in the right direction.

Thanks to both of you. I have been to and watched matches. Everyone was friendly and helpful.  I have decided on 38/357 cal as I already reload  for both.  I have not decided between new/used Ruger Vaqueros or used SA brands that had an initial higher cost.

Hello , I am new to SASS and in the process of buying the necessary guns, equipment, etc.   I would appreciate any tips or suggestions on ways to find out how reputable online gun dealers are since I can not deal with them in person. I would be confident dealing with many of the well known dealers and those who are mentioned here, but I have come across some guns listed with small  businesses out of state.  Their pricing appears to be very reasonable. And the posted photos don’t show any obvious flaws. Some are on Gun Broker some are not.  I don’t know if listing there carries any weight as far as being reputable. 

Thanks for any help.

Welcome Dusty!  Once you have been to matches, and zeroed in on just what you want, there are a several ways to go.  I like to buy items from established members here on the Classified Wire or from known Cowboy gunsmiths, with action work already done.  When I was first getting started I did buy some guns off of Gunbroker, but only from sellers who have a lot of feedback, with little-to-no negative feedback.

Dusty - attend a couple of matches and talk to the fellas - they will load you up with tips and sources.

If it was me starting out, I would only buy used revolvers, lever action rifle and shotgun firearms because new prices are ridiculous and the caliber would be 44-40 and 12ga for the shotgun

If you plan to reload, the  AUTO BREECH LOCK PRO won't drain your walllet

https://leeprecision.com/auto-breech-lock-pro.html

Leather - clothes, etc ... SASS Chronicle will give ideas and sources ... https://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/19eChron/19octchron.pdf

Howdy.  I cant really add much to what's already been said. it's all solid advice. But i'd steer clear of auction sites. I've only done it once and i'm still fighting to get that rifle running correctly. When buying used its always best to have it in your hands to look it over or at least see it in action. 

I've never been disappointed with a Gunbroker buy, but I've been snookered here on the SASS wire THREE TIMES on four revolvers with obvious lies about a guns condition or function, and/or pictures carefully hiding serious cosmetic problems with picture angles and shadows. One seller made it right, more than right really, by sending me a full refund, and told me to keep the revolver - a really rough S&W 1905 .32-20. I knew it was rough, but he assured me it was in perfect time, tight, and shootable... it wasn't. AT ALL.

I have bought 2 cowboy guns off of Gunbroker.  I bid on 3 but didn't have high bid for a hardly used 38/357 SS Old Model Vaquero to match the one I have.  Subsequently I did win a bid for a hardly used 38/357 blued Lipseys special.  Had to settle on unmated pair of OMV's to go with the new 38/357 Uberti 73 20" half octagonal half round rifle I could only find on Gunbroker.   I was unsuccessful with having a big box outdoor store firearms dept. & a LGS try to find one without success.  I took two years to find the rifle.

I have been an NRA bullseye competitor forever :) and a handgun hunter since a teenager. I was introduced to SASS by my local gunsmith. It was another way to have fun with guns.I started with .44 Bisleys, a matching carbine and a 16 gauge take down '97, then tried .38s and a 20 gauge double but I didn't get the old timey kick that I wanted so I switched to .45 Colts and ten gauge 3-1/2" doubles loaded with warthog charges of Holy Black. I currently have a total blast, pun intended, and I have never gone back.

My experience suggests that you acquire used firearms and shoot them a lot and compete in many, many matches. Then, you will get an idea of what floats your boat. After a while more, you may decide on different revolvers, rifles and shotguns like I did.

Have fun!!!   :P

I personally like to inspect a used gun before I buy it.   I buy lots of things off the internet but used guns is not one of them.  I am fortunate that there are regular gun shows and lots of gun shops around my area.   Your situation may be different.

I don't buy used cars off the internet either.

Welcome Dusty.  As mentioned above, go to some matches and try stuff.  Also ask around about who has stuff for sale.  SOmebody always knows soembody who knows somebody who is getting out of the game or has spare stuff for sale.

OP,  where are you located?

I'm in CA, and also new to the sport.
Due to CA baloney, I accumulated 170 days of waiting periods in 2019 to acquire my guns.
5 revolvers, 2 rifles, 1 shotgun.

Many reputable shops will not ship to CA because of said baloney.
If you are buying new, check the website "gun.deals"
This will give you a good insight as to pricing.
Buds' Guns, Tooele Shooting Supply, Lock 'n Load are a few vendors I frequent.

CA fees for FFL range from $50 to $100 per transaction in my area.
Add another $25 for background check, and another $25 for the mandatory safety course.

I count my lucky stars that I can still mail order reloading supplies in CA.
They also do not smog check motorcycles... go figure.

The one purchase I made from Gun Broker worked out well.
The seller was in Junction City KS, but would not ship to CA.
The shop 2 blocks up the street was willing to ship, so he hand-carried my Bisley Vaquero to the other shop.
After another 30 day waiting period, I have it in my hands now.
It was WELL worth the wait.

Research your categories well, as your choice of guns will eliminate you from a few specific categories.
My wife and I shoot 38SP Vaqueros, 1894CB, and Stoeger coach.
There are a lot of moving parts in this game... buy once, cry once.

Archived