SASS Wire Forum

Load info on 45LC with Clay Dot powder

Oklahoma Dee

I load the same as Hodgdon Clays powder using their guide.

Using their data for a 200 grain RNFP which is 4.6 - 5.9 grains powder. I'd keep it to the middle to high side of the data. Like 5.4 - 5.6 grains of Clay Dot.

Any lower you will probably get blow back in your face because the case doesn't expand. Using a 250 grain bullet will also limit the blow back but the recoil increases.

I still use Clays for the 45 Colt but use Clay Dot for the 44-40's.

I load the same as Hodgdon Clays powder using their guide.

Using their data for a 200 grain RNFP which is 4.6 - 5.9 grains powder. I'd keep it to the middle to high side of the data. Like 5.4 - 5.6 grains of Clay Dot.

Any lower you will probably get blow back in your face because the case doesn't expand. Using a 250 grain bullet will also limit the blow back but the recoil increases.

I still use Clays for the 45 Colt but use Clay Dot for the 44-40's.

Thanks!!!!   Merry Christmas to you.  OkD

I load 5.1 gr  with  200 gr bullet.

I used 5.0 gr with a 250 gr bullet.  Probably a good max velocity.

Many thanks and Happy New Year!  OkD

Back at 'cha cowboy !  :D

From Alliant site: "

Clay Dot® is an American-made and extremely clean-burning powder designed for 12-gauge competition shooters. It is engineered to perform similarly to Hodgdon® Clays® but at an economical price.

• Great choice for light and standard 12-gauge target loads with 7/8-, 1- and 1 1/8-ounce payloads
  • Available in 1-, 4- and 8-pound containers
  • Proudly made in America

*Not for use in metallic cartridges"

Even with that disclaimer they do actually list a load for 44 Special. There have to be better powder choices, when a powder company is not interested in providing load data, and other sources are informal.

I would think you could reduce that if you want to. Maybe to around 4.6 - 4.7 grains. It may lighten recoil a bit. 

Merry Christmas to you too.

Tree

I agree, with that 250 gr bullet. 

Think I will use a 200 gr bullet, so will be 4.7 and up for the powder.

I agree, with that 250 gr bullet. 

Think I will use a 200 gr bullet, so will be 4.7 and up for the powder.

Are ye goin Classic on us per chance ?  :o:)

• 2 weeks later...

I went out today and tested 5.4 grains under a 200 grainer in 45 Colt in my 73 and 4.1 grains under a 180 grainer in 45 Cowboy Special in my OM Vaqueros, and was very pleased with the results. 

OkD ... is one of the FEW Wire posters that asks for help - receives it and the SAME day responds with a THANK YOU ... instead of a month latter.  Dee - A Merry Christmas & the Best New Year also

I shoot 200 gn in 45 Colt in rifle and 160 gn in 45 Cowboy Special Brass in pistol.

I didn't know we could put load data on line.

Just email me if you what what I shoot.

-Tex Fiddler

joepro@proandsons.com

I shoot 200 gn in 45 Colt in rifle and 160 gn in 45 Cowboy Special Brass in pistol.

I didn't know we could put load data on line.

Just email me if you what what I shoot.

-Tex Fiddler

joepro@proandsons.com

It's OK to post data now. Just double check what you type for a load so as not to confuse someone. IE: 5.0 or 50!

I loaded a test load, Just to see where I was - Rifle used is a 20" Octagon Uberti 1873.  Action by Lefty Wheeler of Wheelergunworks.com

Load was a 200 gr lead Missouri Bullets with Clay Dot powder of 4.6gr using Federal LP - 150 Primers.   OAL was 1.575"

Results were a average velocity of 753.2 FPS, which gives a Power Factor of 150.64

For Cowboy action shooting some mite say it is a bit hot!  

For Wild Bunch shooting some mite say it is a thin line of meeting the Power Factor.

Local elevation, where shot, is 360 feet above sea level -

I wonder what the Power Factor would be at 1086 feet...which is Phoenix, AZ....which happens to be close to Winter Range, the SASS National Championships

I wonder what the Power Factor would be at 6700 feet....which is near Founder Ranch, New Mexico...home of End of Trail, the SASS World Champtionships.

Food for thought and conjecture on a cool evening in Houston.

You all have a Merry Christmas and a Great New Year of 2020.

I use 5.0-5.2 clays or clay dot with 225-250 gr for my rifles and 200 gr for my revolvers works for me.

I wonder if Alliant shows the same loads for shotshell with Clay Dot as Hodgdon does for Clays, i.e. should they really be considered interchangeable?

I wonder if Alliant shows the same loads for shotshell with Clay Dot as Hodgdon does for Clays, i.e. should they really be considered interchangeable?

Use the same weight as Clays. I've been using 14 gr. of Clay-Dot and with 7/8 oz. #8 and they seem to be pretty much like AA low recoil.

Use the same weight as Clays. I've been using 14 gr. of Clay-Dot and with 7/8 oz. #8 and they seem to be pretty much like AA low recoil.

That's a useful anecdote, but I was wondering what the numbers actually indicate. I will check and report.

I would think you could reduce that if you want to. Maybe to around 4.6 - 4.7 grains. It may lighten recoil a bit. 

Merry Christmas to you too.

Tree

4.6 under a 200 grn Missouri rnfp is the load I use in both rifle and pistol. If I go any lighter they get dirty quick. Recoil is manageable in the pistol and next to nothing in the rifle but still rings the plates good. Also happens to be the same charge I use in my 38-40 so I don't change the powder drop.

Too close!  I wouldn't try it.  Go up to about 5 gr and don't worry about it.  Besides being safe for PF you will find that it burns a lot cleaner, less blow by.

Blackfoot

Thanks Blackfoot.  Good advice.  If you all want to know some facts about Blackfoot, let me tell you what I know.  A simply great man.  I truly pray and hope that I will be like him someday.  YES...I got my work cut out for me...  He is a great person and heck of a man of knowledge and heart.

Archived