SASS Wire Forum

Should I change my alias

Rye Miles #13621

Rye Miles :

Keep yer Handle ,,, and run away up to Canada we will help hide ya ....

Long as you brings lot's of guns and Ammo .....

Jabez Cowboy

Oh My! This reminds me of Hubby. He's 6'5" and took his great grandfather's name as his alias.  This was his GGF, Jess Brown. I think I am taller than he was. He was a shotgun messenger for Wells Fargo out of Deadwood in the 1870s and elected sheriff of Sturgis. Height is only a hindrance to people who think it is. Rye, you are a tall man in my mind. :wub: 

Jess Brown Solo.jpg

Thanks Allie;) 

You've already decided to keep the alias but here's my take.  He "Doesn't know if he approves or not" shows he isn't aware of SASS and how we try to keep the romance of the old west alive.  That includes keeping memories of his own relatives alive.  Once educated, I think ultimately he would approve of using that alias.

Ray Mills....... that's what I call you anyway.:P:D:P

You could always go back to "Tucson Tony" . . . .

Ray Mills....... that's what I call you anyway.:P:D:P

Both are good!!:lol:

Rye,

I went and communed with the spirits over my lunch hour and as luck would have it the original Rye Miles was there and we had a chance to speak about you and your use of his name as an alias.  He was short with his words when he said "Never expected anyone would want to be me, but if it makes his horse trot, I've no complaints"  He went on to allow as he wasn't really sure about all the new fangled stuff that had been invented though and he wanted you to do all your posting with a telegraph.

Hope it helps.

J. Medium Flint ;)

Rye,

I went and communed with the spirits over my lunch hour and as luck would have it the original Rye Miles was there and we had a chance to speak about you and your use of his name as an alias.  He was short with his words when he said "Never expected anyone would want to be me, but if it makes his horse trot, I've no complaints"  He went on to allow as he wasn't really sure about all the new fangled stuff that had been invented though and he wanted you to do all your posting with a telegraph.

Hope it helps.

J. Medium Flint ;)

Next time you talk to him ask him about his nickname” Rye”!!! I assumed he liked rye whiskey :lol:

Speaking of real names... Apparently there is a person really named Tyrel Cody and he's run afoul with the law; perhaps I need to change mine :wacko:

Is that an official admission of guilt?:P

Speaking of real names... Apparently there is a person really named Tyrel Cody and he's run afoul with the law; perhaps I need to change mine :wacko:

Is there a reward??

This dude??

https://www.mylife.com/tyrel-cody/e130233771468

Last time I looked at a phone directory (wow, that's years ago now),  I recall there was more than one of almost EVERY name. 

In my own case, there are five people in Clovis (110,000 popn) or neighboring Fresno, CA. (180,000 popn) with the same first and last name as me.  Two of them have the same middle initial, and one of those two has a wife with the same first name as my wife.   So should I phone all of them and object to them using my name?  I think I already know their two-word answers.  

Keep your alias.  Too much hypersensitivity about everything, these days.  

But thank you v. much for sharing the story.  The history is quite interesting.   Sharing it here kind of proves that your intent is both respectful and thoughtful.  

If I were to change it would be to something that wouldn't be used as a real name.

Ol' Smoky Volunteer for example.

Or "Better than Tennessee Williams"

I personally like "Grimace McStinky Poop". 

I can come up with all kind of names for Ty. For instance: Hes not the fastest shooter but he's not the slowest shooter either. We'll call him "Half fast".

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::D:lol::o

Or "Better than Tennessee Williams"

I personally like "Grimace McStinky Poop". 

I can come up with all kind of names for Ty. For instance: Hes not the fastest shooter but he's not the slowest shooter either. We'll call him "Half fast".

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::D:lol::o

Since I suffer from noassatall, "Half fast" is out :lol:

I had an alias for a very very short time, Bat Lash, a comic book character. Everyone started calling me Bat Guano! :angry::lol:Grrrr......I changed it to Tucson Tony. (my name is Tony) I had that for a few years and then went to Rye Miles about 15 years ago!

ive thought to change mine to allow my grandkid to assume the "kid" in the family but im not sure where i would go with it and where he will go with it , so im keeping mine for now , i think you selected yours to honor not in any way disparage and you should keep yours as well , i think if that man thought someone thought enough of him to select it that he might feel very good about your choice , 

what better legacy ? you did not steal his identity you gave it new life in honorarium , you honor it , cant ask for a much better legacy than that in my book , 

Rye The fact that you would consider changing your alias because the son " does not know ' how he feels about it says volumes about your character and, should he choose to learn more, I cannot imagine he would be bothered . Of course you could use the more legalistic approach, anybody can call them selves anything they want as long as it is not for the purpose of defrauding someone else. I think it is a cool name, and you are honoring it. nuff said

Imis

Archived