SASS Wire Forum

Should I change my alias

Rye Miles #13621

Bill Miles I found Rye Miles son on facebook who is 93 and he said this after I told him I am honoring his father by using his name. Do you think I should change my alias?
Bill Miles He has many relatives in Arizona, including a daughter that is 93 and 3 great grandchildren and a great great grandchild ,and I no longer live in Arizona bur I was a Deputy Sheriff under Cal Boise, in the 1950's, as a Motorcycle cop and later I hauled felony prisoners from all over the US, to Phoenix, in the Sheriff's airplane. I'm not sure I approve of anyone using his name and his great history. I posted a letter from Gov. Hunt sent to my Mother after he died so you should look for it in my Facebook account..

Don’t change it. Why would you need his approval?

You have honoured him for years so keep it.

Here's what I said BEFORE he responded:

Tony Romano Bill Miles I do cowboy action shooting and we all have an alias. I picked your dad as an alias!!! I read the book Arizona Rangers by Bill O'Neal and the name Rye Miles just struck me as a cool name. I hope it's okay with you! I had no idea he had any relatives out there! I am pleasantly surprised to see you on here. Your dad was an interesting figure of the west! (Rye Miles Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) #13621)

It’s all in the approach, I suppose. 

Maybe you should have led with the ‘honoring a great figure of the old West’ theme, vs. ‘cool name’.

In any event, unless he’s going to hunt you down I’d say keep honoring the name

I see it as kind of like the U.S. flag code — even a display of the flag that, through not knowing, is in technical violation of the code can be excused if the intent is pure. 

Rye Miles is not as common as John Smith, but neither has a copyright or trademark™ attached to it.

Considering how many people get offended by so many things... keep it and move on.
Getting offended and 35 cents buys cheap coffee (or used to).

Rye was his nickname, he was actually mostly referred to as Sgt. J.T. Miles. I couldn’t find why the nickname, I assume it has something to do with rye whiskey. His real name was Jeptha Thaddeus Miles! Yea, I’ll keep the name too late to change it now !!:lol: Thanks for all the replies!;)

What would you consider changing to?

Catlow, but that’s already taken:lol:

I have no idea!!!:ph34r:

PLUS ONE to Allie Mo.

Keep it.  If you hadn't gone poking around, he wouldn't know who, where, what you are.  None of his business at this point actually.

This

Besides, I've never heard of any relative of a "famous" old west personality getting their panties in a wad over someone (present day) with the same name. You mean well and from what I can tell, have upheld the name to the highest standard......regardless of what Calico Mary says. 

Keep the name and go rob a liquor store.....just kidding.

This

Besides, I've never heard of any relative of a "famous" old west personality getting their panties in a wad over someone (present day) with the same name. You mean well and from what I can tell, have upheld the name to the highest standard......regardless of what Calico Mary says. 

Keep the name and go rob a liquor store.....just kidding.

Thanks I hope I’m upholding the name of course I could shoot better!!:lol:

Keep it.

I shot with Rye for a number of years when I lived in Ohio. I can't think of a better representative of the cowboy code than Rye. He is a great example of SASS, cowboys in general & is an excellent  pard to carry a tribute to  an Arizona Ranger. Ride proud Rye !

I shot with Rye for a number of years when I lived in Ohio. I can't think of a better representative of the cowboy code than Rye. He is a great example of SASS, cowboys in general & is an excellent  pard to carry a tribute to  an Arizona Ranger. Ride proud Rye !

Thanks Yusta for the kind words. Ya got me blushing a little! ;)

With a SASS # of 13621??? :huh:

You deserve to keep it.. :D

You've honored it for a good many years..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' you've earned the right..:rolleyes:

To be honest I had 2 alias' before this one but I've been Rye Miles for about 15-16 years or so, yea I guess you're right I should just keep it! Thanks Pard!;)

Besides, you shouldn't have gone poking around in the first place  :o   None of the Old Codgers business anyway  :ph34r:

What happened was I looked up the Arizona Rangers on Facebook and they got a page. They're an all volunteer group now and they help with parades, and also help out with any local disasters etc. If I lived out there I would join it. Well, anyhoo...someone put on a little story about the REAL Rye Miles and his son Bill Miles reacted to it. That's why I chimed in and said who I was and blah blah blah............I didn't really look for any of his family or anything like that. Ya gotta admit this is a weird situation! Who'd a thunk it???:lol:

Wait till he finds out yer a piano tuner.:P

Wait till he finds out yer a piano tuner.:P

I guess that's one potential customer I won't count on!!:lol:

Maybe his dad was over 6 feet tall and feels you are,  wait for it Be-littling his name!:rolleyes:

Oh My! This reminds me of Hubby. He's 6'5" and took his great grandfather's name as his alias.  This was his GGF, Jess Brown. I think I am taller than he was. He was a shotgun messenger for Wells Fargo out of Deadwood in the 1870s and elected sheriff of Sturgis. Height is only a hindrance to people who think it is. Rye, you are a tall man in my mind. :wub: 

Jess Brown Solo.jpg

Archived