SASS Wire Forum

"Sight Pusher?"

I've always used a small hammer and bass drift to remove/install dovetailed sights.

Any experience or recommendations on the "Sight Pusher" devices?  Are they worth the $$?  

I've never used a sight pusher, but I have used similar things for other purposes.  
Think of it as using a micrometer to adjust the sight.  Say it had a thread pitch of 80.  One full turn will move what it is pushing against .012".  A quarter turn will move it .003".  How much do you move something with each tap of the hammer?

I've never used a sight pusher, but for moving the cross pin on a gearshift socket

IMG_20191207_224916.jpg.8981551fa552853ffc6f844001e244aa.jpg

I've used a small C-clamp. Worked fine.

Seems like a sight pusher would work as well.

I had one similar to this one until I broke it. 
it worked well but one must remember to back off the anchor screw for some rear sights...or it may break your adjustment tool. :rolleyes:

https://www.amazon.com/ATG-NcSTAR-Universal-Pistol-Dovetailed/dp/B07GM3LRFF

I used one to replace the sights on a Sig.  Definitely had to use one as a hammer and drift would not have worked.  The frame of the pistol was not squared, so it took a bit of adjusting to move the rear sight, but it worked and was easier to use than hammering the sight base.  How often you use one is another matter. 

I've got a couple.  Below is a picture of the one i get the most use out of...it's made for Glocks, but will work on other guns as well.  

sight pusher.jpg

The big benefit is for guys installing night sights that contain a capsule for the glow stuff (love tech terms)   They can break if you try to tap them in.  And the ability nudge the sight slightly.        GW

Some are good, some are bad and some only work on certain brands of firearms.  After trying one similar (or the same) in Lawman Mark's post, I think I'd rather spend the money and have a gun store/gun smith replace the sights.

I ordered one Friday night.

https://www.amazon.com/Pusher-Master-Install-Handguns-Yourself/dp/B00BD65Y4C/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2891PP66GTR2C&dchild=1&keywords=sight+press&qid=1575867527&sprefix=sight+%2Caps%2C201&sr=8-6

For a couple of projects spinning around, once you added the shipping prices are the same.

Let see how it behave with me.

I've used this one on many firearms. Fantastic quality and easy to use.

Sight-Tool

71NV-1fai-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Just wondering. would this tool work on octagon barrels like a Sharps or HiWall?  Or most of are cowboy rifles?      GW

I've never used a sight pusher, but I have used similar things for other purposes.  
Think of it as using a micrometer to adjust the sight.  Say it had a thread pitch of 80.  One full turn will move what it is pushing against .012".  A quarter turn will move it .003".  How much do you move something with each tap of the hammer?

I mark the sight and bb/slide with a pencil so I have a reference. 

OLG 

I mark the sight and bb/slide with a pencil so I have a reference. 

OLG 

Even with a pusher I would do that. But I know that with a thread pitch of X I will get so much movement per turn (or half turn).  Tapping with a hammer doesn't give you the same precision. One tap may move it 0.0004" and the next tap may move it 0.002".

Even with a pusher I would do that. But I know that with a thread pitch of X I will get so much movement per turn (or half turn).  Tapping with a hammer doesn't give you the same precision. One tap may move it 0.0004" and the next tap may move it 0.002".

I go by what the target shows me ^_^

Many yrs ago I made a 'pusher' that uses a dial indicator.

That removed all guesswork. 

OLG 

Archived