SASS Wire Forum

Elmore Leonard movies

The recent thread here on Gunsights and other Elmore Leonard western stories got me thinking about the number of Leonard stories that have made it to film; movies or television.

The Westerns I can think of are 'The Tall T' (Randolph Scott and Richard Boone), '3:10 to Yuma' (twice), 'Hombre' (Paul Newman and Richard Boone), 'Last Stand at Sabre River' (Tom Selleck), 'Valdez is Coming' (Burt Lancaster), 'Joe Kidd' (Robert Duvall). And then, the sort-of modern Western, the TV series 'Justified'. Maybe there are others....

The non-Westerns: Get Shorty, Be Cool, Mr. Majestyk, Jackie Brown....I know there are several others-- haven't looked them up

The Tall T was 1956; Justified just a few years back-- that's near 60 years of films up to his death. I wonder if any other author has a similar record....not counting Shakespeare...

Border Shootout with a Glenn Ford

Now Justified which is set in the East can be considered a “Western”  not because Raylan was a US Marshal, and not because he wore a cowboy hat. I consider it a western because of Raylan’s line in the first episode.

”He pulled first” ;)

6EE7E524-D335-42B7-85F4-9C20EEB6C181.jpeg

The Kid and I just finished watching Valdez Is Coming for the umpteenth time.  Enjoyed it as much as ever.

"Sometheeng for rabbits..."  :lol:

Now Justified which is set in the East can be considered a “Western”  not because Raylan was a US Marshal, and not because he wore a cowboy hat. I consider it a western because of Raylan’s line in the first episode.

”He pulled first” ;)

In a later episode someone asks what happens if they don’t pull first, Raylan replies “They always pull”.  One of the best TV shows ever.

Seamus

I just read the short story 3-10 to Yuma. When I finished it, I read the Wikipedia plot recap (didn't watch the movie - am not a fan of Russell Crowe).

It appears the only thing the story and the movie have in common is there's a train leaving at 10 minutes after 3.

I guess I'm going to have to rewatch it.

I looked at that video, wondering what season it might be (I've only seen about the first one and a half seasons), and when they transferred him out to the Southwest. I thought he was in Kentucky? Or was it Tennessee?

YouTube says that was that season 1 episode 4.

Hmmm.

Most of the lines that come out of Raylan's mouth in moments of stress could just as easily come from any of his Western heroes.

Deputy US Marshal; cowboy hat; holstered pistol; demands respect; defends women and children; detests slackers; chases bad guys; essentially a loner.

Close your eyes; don't you hear John Wayne in most of the dialogue?  Wouldn't he slam Dewey's nose into the steering wheel?  Wouldn't he give the gunsel in the first episode a "Get out of Town" deadline?  Wouldn't he drop a cartridge on the bad guy's chest, and tell him to look out for the next one - it will be coming a mite faster?

OF COURSE it's a Western!!!

LL

Archived