SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Old Army .45

Jayster

7 1/2” barrels?

With the 7 1/2 inch barrel, they are worth what ever someone will pay for them.  Sequential serial numbers will probably help.  Not legal in SASS except in age based categories, very little or no collector interest.   

Anybody here know the value of an Old Army .45? I have a new one in the box, never fired purchased  in 1995

Not much interest among CAS shooters for adjustable sight 7-1/2" ROAs.

Do an advanced search on Gunbroker for Completed Auctions and see what similar guns have actually sold for.

Thanks for the reply,

Interesting, as I would think that to win a CAS shoot, you need to have an accurate weapon, and the Ruger Old Army is about as accurate as you can find for an out of the case (non-modified) cap and ball revolver.     I have a conversion  cylinder for long Colt .45, works great in my Ruger Old Army, more accurate than my Dakota.  Is this why they are not sass legal?

I understand Ruger has discontinued the Red Hawk and Old Army models, correct?

Thanks for the reply,

Interesting, as I would think that to win a CAS shoot, you need to have an accurate weapon, and the Ruger Old Army is about as accurate as you can find for an out of the case (non-modified) cap and ball revolver.     I have a conversion  cylinder for long Colt .45, works great in my Ruger Old Army, more accurate than my Dakota.  Is this why they are not sass legal?

I understand Ruger has discontinued the Red Hawk and Old Army models, correct?

There are a lot of Ruger Old Army revolvers used in SASS, just most of them are the fixed sight models, so they can be used in all categories.

These are mine, I shoot them without the loading lever.  

45886328_10213798175812992_3737993282764931072_n.jpg.a7d732f80471a7834e4f74665bef77c9.jpg

Ruger Old Armies have been discontinued, although now and again they will make a special run of the stainless, fixed sight version.

Adjustable sight revolvers are not legal for black powder categories and folks who want an accurate adjustable sight Ruger usually buy Blackhawks, still in production and plentiful. 

Good luck with your sale.  

Gosh,

thanks for clearing all that up for me.

I like to use a cross chest holster ( a-la Angle Eyes) if I plan to quick draw my iron, especially with a long barrel, it is just more comfortable and faster for me.

The target sights are removable, a simple matter for anyone who knows how to use tools, but I like their accuracy so I'll keep 'em as is.

I'm not selling my set, just wondered what a sequential set might be worth, as I have never seen a set sell on the gun broker sight and though some of you SASS "two-gun-Bills" here would be more in the know, which given your excellent informative responses, proves to be quite true.

I was trained in point and shoot in the Army for night firing(shooting from the hip) and applied that to cap and ball shooting, so I  don't use sights when making beer cans fly!

Are we posting pictures of our Babies ??!

SURE, I'll join the fun!!!

This is my first pair, and I shoot these now.

I've bought two more SS pairs, but it will be a while until they are ready to shoot and show.

image.jpeg

I like ROAs because they have given me less problems than other brands. I don't shoot them much anymore and, then, just  here and around home 100-150 miles. Mine have fixed sights.

The target sights are removable,

But not legal for SASS in any category if you do that.  Now, if they are welded up and profiled to be like the fixed sight ROA, after THAT $400 surgery they will be legal.

Good luck, GJ

But not legal for SASS in any category if you do that.  Now, if they are welded up and profiled to be like the fixed sight ROA, after THAT $400 surgery they will be legal.

Good luck, GJ

Don't forget to replace the front sight!

"Ruger Blackhawk and Ruger Old Army adjustable sight frames may be modified by removing the rear sight assembly, welding up the sight cutout, re-contouring the frame top strap, and cutting a new sight notch to replicate Colt SAA or Vaquero frames.  The ramp front sight must be replaced with a blade-type in order to be allowed as a fixed sight model revolver."

SHB p.37

Why can't the Ruger be used by simply removing the adjustable sight ?   It makes no sense, but then again, I'm new to all the SASS rules.

I believe that the Ramp Front Sight is what causes this. The only pistol that I know of (there may be more) that is legal with a ramped sight is the Ruger Blackhawk which was grandfathered in because many folks had them & used them for SASS way back in the beginning years. The Blackhawk has adj. rear sight & ramped frt. sight.

What a can of worms that must be, allowing one gun with a certain feature, but not another, even though it is the same make and model.....bet that is a sore subject.

I am on the board of directors for a one-design class,( Lido 14) and to be fair, we apply all rules equally to all boats, NO EXCEPTIONS.

There are lots of excuses for not winning,  we hear it all the time at our events and meetings. My answer is always the same: Practice makes perfect!

In the end, it is not the sights, it's how you use them, meaning you are either a good shot, or you are not, regardless of what type of sights.

Why can't the Ruger be used by simply removing the adjustable sight ?   It makes no sense, but then again, I'm new to all the SASS rules.

The reason the adjustable sight ROAs are not popular for SASS is because they are not legal for any of the categories that require BP. This is equally true of the Blackhawk. The adjustable sights preclude it being used in any of the categories that require BP.

The fixed sight ROA was popular for the Frontiersman category because it is generally easier to get a ROA to reliably function for 5 or 6 stages compared to other makes of C&B revolvers.

Archived