SASS Wire Forum

Smith & Wesson model 63

Pat Riot

I finally got my model 63 today. What a nice little shooter. I picked it up a couple of hours ago and hit the range. I put about 200 rounds through it already and I really love it. 
It seems to like CCI Standard Velocity and Aguila 40 grain high velocity HP rounds. I still need to do some tweaking on the sights but all in all I really like this .22 revolver. 

1C8C8300-1592-4A84-A5D2-9D137EFDBF7C.thumb.jpeg.5bd83438441014d17f67c96ed0d62478.jpeg

CA7CF3C5-1EC3-4BB6-B0DC-94A456B660F5.thumb.jpeg.a0c183380a7bfa2c4b93b67497a44a44.jpeg

I tried to find my original thread on these guns but the search function here in the Wire wasn’t being helpful so I made a new one. 

Still not too sure about the fiber optic front sight. I will need more trigger time with it. :D

I had a chance to buy one a few years ago and dawdled and lost it. Great deal!! The LGS has a new model 617 with a 6" barrel....hmmmm....pricey though $750.00 NIB

I picked a 317 at a gun show about 5 years ago.  I had been wanting one for years.  The 317 is the aluminum lightweight model of the 63.  That day there were two 317's and one 63 in the show.  The 63 went for $100.00 more than the 317.  I am still kicking myself for not going for the 63 instead of the 317.

Enjoy it pard, that's a beautiful little plinker.

I have been curious about the large smith 22 revolvers.  Aside from the obvious,  how do they compare to a ruger single six regarding accuracy or handling?

I have a 1960 vintage K22 Masterpiece. That is the K frame 6 shot 22. If I do my part it is very accurate. Handles like any other S&W K frame. I don't believe I have shot a Ruger Single Six but they are probably very good too if they are built like there other revolvers.

The new 617s are ridiculously heavy. 44oz for 6” barrel. 40oz for 4”. How a Ruger Single Six compares? Probably about the same. Heavy, which is why I bought a model 63. A 39oz .22? Why?

I like....a lot!!!  Obviously just a ridiculously too much fun revolver.  Love them S&W 22's!!

^_^

I am taking it to the range again tomorrow. I think I need to get some more ammo to test. I haven’t tried all the different.22 ammo I have though. I opened another ammo box and Voila! More brands and types to try. This is going to sound odd but I really hope it’s accurate with Federal Gold Medal .22 ammo. I bought a brick of it a few years ago when .22 was scarce for a pretty hefty sum. So far it shoots like crap out of everything I have tried it in. I also want to try some cheap ammo like some Winchester wildcat, Remington Thunderbolt, and a couple of others. 

Fun stuff! :D

Archived