SASS Wire Forum

YouTube changes coming up. Anyone got a crystal ball?

Warden Callaway

Santee and Jed I. Knight have YouTube channels that are monetized.   Others have channels with Cowboy Action Shooting and related videos.   

I have uploaded videos to YouTube many years before getting into CAS.  I created the Owl Creek Raiders YouTube channel to entertain the pards that come and shoot.  I've included some of my projects. The channel has several hundred videos and over 80,000 views. I've not chosen to monetize. 

Google/YouTube has been hit with a fine from the Federal Trade Commission for endangering children. It's just another form of gangster style extortion but it has apparently prompted YouTube to make sweeping changes to use agreement and ways video creators work with YouTube.   I've read through as much as I could stand of the new agreement policy and all I can make of it is, YouTube can do what they want to and you just have to take it or there's the door.  

Several things concerns me.  Who's to say what videos are of danger to kids?  Will any guns or shooting activities be considered dangerous?   Maybe not now but sometime in the future?  Also,  in the new regulations,  the FTC can levy fines down to the video creator's level up to $42,000 for each video.

There appears to be a lot of anxiety in the industry.   Some make a lot of money from the videos and the game has changed so their income could be reduced significantly.  Or their channels could be shut down. 

Anyone research this thing out and understand what's going on?

I do not know but I assume it’s got a lot to do with the “what if” factor, lawyers and bureaucrats. 

I was going to post some footage from some of my motorcycle rides on YouTube. A friend reminded me that he had gotten into trouble with posting similar videos because he did break the law (going way too fast) and YouTube removed his videos then closed his account when he squawked and also threatened to send his videos to the California Highway Patrol. 

My videos are pretty tame compared to his. I decided I didn’t need the hassle. Apparently you just can’t post any more. There are things you need to agree to and such. Having an account isn’t good enough. Now you need to jump through legal hoops, according to friends. 

Besides, Google owns YouTube. I have been trying to disassociate myself from them so not using YouTube is just going to be part of that disassociation. 

I’m gonna be passive.  My videos are not monetized, I post them for fun.  If YouTube becomes difficult, I will delete my channel and make videos on DVDs for friends and relatives. YouTube needs us more than we need them.  Screw ‘em.

MeWe may be an alternative.

I just did some research on MeWe.  Looks more like a better Facebook than YouTube.  

Maybe Full30?

No idea about them. I just heard someone on another forum saying MeWe was the way to go.

Archived