SASS Wire Forum

45/70 and Black MZ or Trail Boss

Smokin' Dave

Did I just hear that Black MZ was discontinued?  If so, and you want to shoot that, better stock it in.

Good luck, GJ

Did I just hear that Black MZ was discontinued?  If so, and you want to shoot that, better stock it in.

Good luck, GJ

I read the same thing .

But so far we still have APP.

I personally think Trail Boss is just over priced. 

I Wont buy it .

Just Sayin. 

Rooster 

Trail Boss is an excellent powder, especially for someone new to reloading.  It has saved a lot of people from accidentally double-charging the case, which on the whole, is a pretty good reason to use it.   My load is 12.5gr    Load just a few and see how it does with your rifle, you can adjust the load up or down to suit.

Black MZ is a citrus-based BP substitute, and Trail Boss is smokeless, so two completely different loading techniques

Black MZ load as you would BP, I do 55gr by volume.  For greatest consistency,  you can weigh that 55gr (vol), [if I remember right it came to about 49gr by wt. but check it yourself to be sure].   Clean it once you get the rifle home, as the salts do capture moisture and corrode.  (Nowhere near as bad as Pyrodex!)

I use TB in my .45-70, with excellent accuracy and pleasant to experience recoil.

I'm running 350 grain lead bullets over a charge of 15.5 gr of TB

Try a Walters Wad (a vegetable fiber disk) between the MZ and the bullet.  My Buffalo Classic would not group without one.

Alliant's data used to say not to go below 49 grains BMZ (weight) with a 405 grain bullet in .45-70. Forty nine was just a teeny bit shy of 100% load density for me, so I bumped it up to 50 with excellent results downrange.

I emailed Alliant this past summer, and asked about BMZ being discontinued. The reply was it had actually been discontinued last year, and won't be coming back. :(

Use a 300 gr. gas checked bullet and 17 gr. of Trail Boss every EZ to shoot.

13 grains TB under a 405 is just a sweet 45/70 load at 100 yards.  Almost no recoil, and I get good accuracy out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I use 68gr of black MZ under a 520 gr. 4 groove Lyman Speer point compressed with a .020 veggie wad. Match's the buffalo hunters load and is dead on the X  at 225 yards. Kicks like a mule out of a 34 inch Quigly down under, but every one at the range stops and watches the smoke and fire. ;~). 

Howdy Dave. Have you used or considered 5744 ?  My daughter and I use 30 grs of 5744 under a 405 'boolit' in three .45-70's.  Two 1886 and one Shilo Sharps. We shoot long range between 100 and 650 yards with pretty good luck.  You do have to careful though because of the possibly of double charging.  That however can be controlled by your loading technique or sequencing.  We did shoot at 700 yards this year at one match but with the right to left cross wind we would have done better with 500 gr or better 'boolit'.  It's worth considering.

Watch yer' back trail  .. .. ..

Oh, by the way, we did get the chance the last few years to shoot our 1886 .45-70 in a regular cowboy match.  Although not "official" by SASS rules, it is one heck of a hoot to shoot the big boomers in a main match setting !!

Watch yer' back trail  .. .. ..

Archived