SASS Wire Forum

Remember Pearl Harbor

Dustin Checotah

December 7, 1941, on a calm Sunday morning, our Nation was attacked without warning or provocation. The bombs that fell on the island of Oahu took almost 2,400 American lives, damaged our Pacific Fleet, challenged our resilience, and tested our resolve. On National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, we honor the men and women who selflessly sacrificed for our country, and we show our enduring gratitude to all who fought to defend freedom against the forces of tyranny and oppression in the Second World War.
Today, with solemn pride and reverence, let us remember those who fought and died at Pearl Harbor, acknowledge everyone who carried their legacy forward, and reaffirm our commitment to upholding the ideals for which they served.

An address to a joint session of Congress.

Mr. Vice President, and Mr. Speaker, and Members of the Senate and House of Representatives:

Yesterday, December 7, 1941—a date which will live in infamy—the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

The United States was at peace with that Nation and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with its Government and its Emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific. Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in the American Island of Oahu, the Japanese Ambassador to the United States and his colleague delivered to our Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent American message. And while this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or of armed attack.

It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time the Japanese Government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.

The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian Islands has caused severe damage to American naval and military forces. I regret to tell you that very many American lives have been lost. In addition American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu.

Yesterday the Japanese Government also launched an attack against Malaya.
Last night Japanese forces attacked Hong Kong.
Last night Japanese forces attacked Guam.
Last night Japanese forces attacked the Philippine Islands.
Last night the Japanese attacked Wake Island. And this morning the Japanese attacked Midway Island.

Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday and today speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our Nation.

As Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense.

But always will our whole Nation remember the character of the onslaught against us.

No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory. I believe that I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost but will make it very certain that this form of treachery shall never again endanger us.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory, and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces—with the unbounding determination of our people—we will gain the inevitable triumph- so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, December 7, 1941, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese Empire.

Cordell Hull begged Roosevelt to give a much longer speech,  outlining the many aggressive actions of Japan in Asia and the difficulties in relations between them and the US. FDR had already finalized his message and gave it as written in les than 10 minutes. Turned out to be the most famous Presidential speech since Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address which was also very short, and given after a 2 hour oration by Cordell Hull.

Too bad so many politicians don’t understand that oratory doesn’t require length, just skill and heart.

outlining the many aggressive actions of Japan in Asia

Unfortunately too many people forget the aggression and atrocities of Japan and smuggly say "The US had it coming because of the economic sanctions the imperialists in America placed on Japan to protect US interests."  Was there some of that? No doubt, but it paled in comparison to the aggression of the "Greater East-Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere."

They don't teach in history class how the Japanese jammed glass rods into the penises of POWs, then smashed them for a lifetime of misery.
Neither do they teach the Rape of Nanking, where the subjugated women serviced endless soldiers until they died of their injuries, and were replaced by the next in line.

My dad was the officer of the day on the California.
I doubt he stayed behind for the refitting, as he was assigned the Durik (#666) before it was given its official designation.
He was in every naval theater of the war.

He told me when they cut him out of the ship, he walked across the guts and brains of what used to be his shipmates.

The first atomic bomb fell on deaf ears in japan.
The 2nd one finally got their attention.

No sympathy from me.

7 December 1941

Picture of my father some time after the attack. He was a Seaman 1st Class at the time.

24.jpg

GMC T.H. Lawrence.jpg

That is a Chief Petty Officer in the picture.  The arm rating patch (gunnersmate?) and the anchor on his cover tell me he's a Chief. 

BS

Unfortunately too many people forget the aggression and atrocities of Japan and smuggly say "The US had it coming because of the economic sanctions the imperialists in America placed on Japan to protect US interests."  Was there some of that? No doubt, but it paled in comparison to the aggression of the "Greater East-Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere."

They don't teach in history class how the Japanese jammed glass rods into the penises of POWs, then smashed them for a lifetime of misery.
Neither do they teach the Rape of Nanking, where the subjugated women serviced endless soldiers until they died of their injuries, and were replaced by the next in line.

My dad was the officer of the day on the California.
I doubt he stayed behind for the refitting, as he was assigned the Durik (#666) before it was given its official designation.
He was in every naval theater of the war.

He told me when they cut him out of the ship, he walked across the guts and brains of what used to be his shipmates.

The first atomic bomb fell on deaf ears in japan.
The 2nd one finally got their attention.

No sympathy from me.

The point was that Hull wanted a long detailed blow by blow description of why war had commenced. FDR didn’t want that. He wanted a sharp, clear, and visceral response that people, and Congress, would get. And they got it. Only one vote against the War Declaration. Pacifist  Representative Jeanette Rankin from Montana.

As for myself, I've never heard anybody say that. And I'm 71.

That is a Chief Petty Officer in the picture.  The arm rating patch (gunnersmate?) and the anchor on his cover tell me he's a Chief. 

BS

Yes in that picture he is a Chief gunners mate. When this picture was taken he had between 4 and 8 years in. Only one hash mark on left sleeve. I also know it is before he was commissioned a Warrant Officer. WO2 That happened in 1956. He stayed in and died while in the service in 1966. He was on assignment with NTPI team, Nuclear Technical Proficiency Team in Rota Spain. They inspected Naval nuclear weapon installations. 

We waited too long to take action.  We had been involved indirectly for a few years before Pearl Harbor and Americans were killed before that attack.  Pearl Harbor forced the USA into a war that eventually took the lives of 10% if the worlds population and left us as the supreme leader of the world militarily, economically, scientifically, socially, and every other "ly" in the dictionary.

Now, 78 years later we have thrown most of that away, and we're falling further behind everydat while out "former enemies" are thriving.

Why?

We, here in Canada had been at war with Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy, since September, 1939.

My Father was in the RCAF (had been since 1936) and was recently married to my Mother when the attack occurred.

My Mother related that when he came home from duty that Sunday, he stated, "Myrt! The Americans will now be fully in. We just won the war"

As for myself, I've never heard anybody say that. And I'm 71.

This is the "justification" argument that I heard in the 1960's and 1970's in school.  It still does not justify making war.

https://www.independent.org/news/article.asp?id=1930

LL

Archived