SASS Wire Forum

This is why a like Trail Boss

Lefty Dutchman, SASS #41480

Just about ready to hit the road, it is snowing the roads are a mess.

I am not looking forward at the drive to the college, the 30 min drive will turn into 1 hour. Reprieve got an e-mail classes are canceled due to a power failure; students will be very happy and so am I. Great day to do some reloading and get ready for Winter Range. Loading 357 mag on my Dillon 550, 125 grain bullet, 3.5 grains of Trail Boss. The phone rings and I got distracted, when I get back to loading, I double charge my case. Luckily it filled the case right to the top, it is almost impossible to double charge with trail boss. Yes it is a little more expensive but still a lot cheaper than blowing up a gun. I have been loading for over 40 years, it shows that you can still make mistakes.

Just about ready to hit the road, it is snowing the roads are a mess.

I am not looking forward at the drive to the college, the 30 min drive will turn into 1 hour. Reprieve got an e-mail classes are canceled due to a power failure; students will be very happy and so am I. Great day to do some reloading and get ready for Winter Range. Loading 357 mag on my Dillon 550, 125 grain bullet, 3.5 grains of Trail Boss. The phone rings and I got distracted, when I get back to loading, I double charge my case. Luckily it filled the case right to the top, it is almost impossible to double charge with trail boss. Yes it is a little more expensive but still a lot cheaper than blowing up a gun. I have been loading for over 40 years, it shows that you can still make mistakes.

TB is only more expensive where merchants put the same price on all their like size containers without looking at their invoice and the weight on the labels.

p.s. While Trailboss is technically more expensive than many, there is no excuse for a 9 ounce jar of Trailboss being the same price as a 14 ounce or one pounder of something else.

TB is only more expensive where merchants put the same price on all their like size containers without looking at their invoice and the weight on the labels.

Ah -----  $15.95/lb = $1.67/oz.   16 oz * $1.67 = $26.67/lb. 

Same online vendor - Clays $15.19/14 oz = $1.09 /oz =  $17.36/lb

If you know where it can be bought for less, let us know please.

I like Clays, but still bought Trail Boss for my centerfire loads, for the reason stated by the OP.
But.. I did just pick up a sale on 8# of Clays for my shotshell loads...
I figure some of that Clays might be tempting for loading a few metallics down the road...

I load .38's with 3.5 grs of Tite-Group, all my guns are .357 (except for a 66) if I double charge that would be 7 grs of Tite-Group a hefty load for sure but I don't think it would damage anything (except maybe the 66)^_^

I always have to chuckle every time the Trail Boss topic comes up. First off I use TB for everything from 32-20 up to 45-70 simply because I like it. In this sport we have no problem spending a couple thousand dollars on a good set of firearms, then a few hundred dollars to slick them up. Not to mention all the money spent on rigs, boots, clothes, accessories, and hats. Then you need a nice a gun cart, and don't forget the progressive presses and other loading equipment. Then after all of that money that was spent without a blink of an eye for a sport we all love we'll banter back and forth about a couple of dollar difference in a container of powder. GOD it's great to be a cowboy....:)

Hi, I have had  similar results with Unique. It fills the case enough that it is noticeable it you over charge. I have nothing against Trail Boss; I just have a bunch of Unique. I like High Spade Mikey's comment. I think reloaders have that mind set. I've seen wealthy men dumpster dive for lead wheel weights, and make their own lube. I think it's probably just for  FUN, regards, Mike  :D

I'm PRETTY sure a similar distraction caused my kaboom in 2016. Dillon 550, Clays powder, EMF Armi Jager .38-40. I expect I got a phone call or something, and ran the same case back up into the powder die again. Always clear the turntable or leave the ram up as mentioned above.

JagerKaboom.jpg

I buy Trail Boss in the 4-5# can and use it in all my cb loads

I buy Red Dot the same way for my Shotgun loads

Hodgdon currently only offers 9oz & 2lb containers.  A post on the wire in January stated the 5# containers were discontinued & that Powder Valley had limited quantities.  I bought 5# to have on hand.  Other than being expensive by weight it's low density & flat donut shape makes it messy when loading on a Dillion XL650/750.  I have installed the aftermarket polymer shell plate indexing ball, reduced power ball spring & shell plate roller thrust bearing kit.

:D I love Holy Black. I just fill the brass cartridge and shell cases, cram down the wad and blast off. I simply cannot double load beyond warthog! :P

I always have to chuckle every time the Trail Boss topic comes up. First off I use TB for everything from 32-20 up to 45-70 simply because I like it. In this sport we have no problem spending a couple thousand dollars on a good set of firearms, then a few hundred dollars to slick them up. Not to mention all the money spent on rigs, boots, clothes, accessories, and hats. Then you need a nice a gun cart, and don't forget the progressive presses and other loading equipment. Then after all of that money that was spent without a blink of an eye for a sport we all love we'll banter back and forth about a couple of dollar difference in a container of powder. GOD it's great to be a cowboy....:)

This is the most logical and straight forward answer I've seen on this topic 

since TrailBoss was introduced..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' thanks High Spade!!:rolleyes:

This is the most logical and straight forward answer I've seen on this topic 

since TrailBoss was introduced..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' thanks High Spade!!:rolleyes:

Then there is the benefit analysis. If you want a powder to fill your case or at least be easily visible when placing a bullet for seating, and while choices are few, you accept paying a bit for it.

I started using Trail Boss last year - double charged a load on 45 colt

IMG_0100.jpg

You did a much better job than I did - but did your pards get you a badge? B)

Kaboom_01.jpg

It looks like TB is a solution to a 550 Dillon when the machine is not advanced. I have not double charged on my 650, but I have left a charge on my scale and proceeded to run the press a few times. :o

Regardless of what powder or what machine, a solid and safe reloading routine has a lot of visual inspections built into it.

From the time it’s picked up from the ground until the time it’s loaded, and every time something is done to it in between, a piece of brass needs to be looked at.

Ain't no doubt that "Stuff" happens, and even the most experienced loader can step in it. I do like my powder check on the 650, it was a worthy expense. As for powder, I've used just about every powder out there over these many years, and there are MANY of them that work fine for this game of Peek-a-boo shooting with gallery type ammo. What is funny to me is that two of the more popular powders that are used by CAS, are my least favorite. Yep, Trail Boss is one of them. It's kinda like buying a bottle of 40 proof Bourbon for the same price as a 80 proof bottle. But even that aside, I just didn't like the stuff. It seemed to get all over the place. The other powder that I don't care for is certainly one of the most popular... it is Clays. I tried it several times and always had the same experience of un-burned  powder. Yes, yes, I tried crimping harder etc.... bottom line was that it just didn't ring my bell. I switched from HP 38 to Tite Group when it came out, and I like it very much. A while back they put Shooter's, Clean shot on sale at a ridiculously low price,  so I bought 3 large bottles of it. I like it too. I use the same load that I use with Tite Group. It meters well, and does a good job... however, it is one that can easily be double charged... but I doubt it would do any damage if it happened. I only load 3 gn of it in a 38.  It was mentioned, but Unique is a good old powder and has less chance of a double charge. It is not quite as efficient in a 38 case as some of the faster powders, but it does the job. I've heard some folks compare Clays to Unique, but I don't think so. 

Snakebite

Ain't no doubt that "Stuff" happens, and even the most experienced loader can step in it. I do like my powder check on the 650, it was a worthy expense. As for powder, I've used just about every powder out there over these many years, and there are MANY of them that work fine for this game of Peek-a-boo shooting with gallery type ammo. What is funny to me is that two of the more popular powders that are used by CAS, are my least favorite. Yep, Trail Boss is one of them. It's kinda like buying a bottle of 40 proof Bourbon for the same price as a 80 proof bottle. But even that aside, I just didn't like the stuff. It seemed to get all over the place. The other powder that I don't care for is certainly one of the most popular... it is Clays. I tried it several times and always had the same experience of un-burned  powder. Yes, yes, I tried crimping harder etc.... bottom line was that it just didn't ring my bell. I switched from HP 38 to Tite Group when it came out, and I like it very much. A while back they put Shooter's, Clean shot on sale at a ridiculously low price,  so I bought 3 large bottles of it. I like it too. I use the same load that I use with Tite Group. It meters well, and does a good job... however, it is one that can easily be double charged... but I doubt it would do any damage if it happened. I only load 3 gn of it in a 38.  It was mentioned, but Unique is a good old powder and has less chance of a double charge. It is not quite as efficient in a 38 case as some of the faster powders, but it does the job. I've heard some folks compare Clays to Unique, but I don't think so. 

Snakebite

Trailboss seems to be particularly subject to static electricity, which may explain seeing some of it littering the area. The granules are also simply easier to notice than with typical powders. Very fine powders are far worse about littering. Grounding the loader and loading area seems like a good idea. Some mention wiping powder measure hoppers with used dryer sheets, but I haven't tried it.

I am not saying Trailboss is not bought at some premium, but it is wise to check the cost per charge, when other powders require a heavier weight of powder. Tin Star is an example.

I had an idea once about using a small laser emitter/receiver that could be fitted to a Dillon 550 tool head, but I'm not an engineer. Laser tape measures perform a similar function and are available for under $30. Why couldn't this technology be adapted to use as a go/no go tester? Fill a case to the desired level, turn on the rangefinder, set the readout to a +/- parameter, and if a powder level is out of that range, a buzzer sounds. I'm sure there's a programmer out there who could design a cellphone or tablet app.

I discovered that 15.2gr of Unique will fit in a 44-40 case to where a Lyman 427098 will sit on top of the powder with no compression. In other words, a double charge of 8gr can go unnoticed..... of which I discovered that only 12gr produced 21,786psi. Don't confuse that with 22,000cup because they are not linear measurements. More than that will fit if the powder is slight compressed, again unnoticed if not inspecting each load drop. Thus a double charge equaling a total of greater than 12gr can be catastrophic while anything over 9gr could be damaging to catastrophic.

So if one does the math between using Trail Boss and other fast burning powders, one will soon discover that it would take a few years of shooting every month to equal a blown gun. 

Define Insurance?  Considered the extra expense of Trail Boss powder equal to paying insurance for blown guns. Is it worth paying a $700 over a 5 to 10 year period using trail boss rather than taking a chance on blowing up more than a gun?

Is it worth paying a $700 over a 5 to 10 year period using trail boss rather than taking a chance on blowing up more than a gun?

Not to me, but I shoot real BP most of the time and use an RCBS lockout die when loading smokeless; I really dislike Trail Boss.

Not to me, but I shoot real BP most of the time and use an RCBS lockout die when loading smokeless; I really dislike Trail Boss.

If you are using black powder, then you are already paying extra...I think you missed my point but I typically fail at explaining things.

I don't dislike any powder, if you do...explain why?

If you are using black powder, then you are already paying extra...I think you missed my point but I typically fail at explaining things.

I don't dislike any powder, if you do...explain why?

But when I do shoot smokeless it is NOT Trail Boss.

1. It's the most expensive smokeless powder.

2. Loads at the low end of load data are erratic and filthy.

3. It stinks.

My 2 cents.

But when I do shoot smokeless it is NOT Trail Boss.

1. It's the most expensive smokeless powder.

2. Loads at the low end of load data are erratic and filthy.

3. It stinks.

My 2 cents.

Thanks for the clarification.

I like Trail Boss, both rifle and revolver, because it loads bulky, smells and is dirty like Black Powder....when I want low velocities like for CAS or just plinking or even long distance low velocity accuracy.

When I want originality, both rifle and revolver, I load full black powder loads.

When I want modern rifle velocities that perform at or better than black powder loads, I use Reloder 7 or IMR-4227

When I want modern revolver velocities, I use Unique but in general, I use Reloder 7

I LIKE IT DIRTY AND UNPREDICTABLE!  

Trail Boss, when loaded properly, is not erratic...and is very accurate.

Archived