SASS Wire Forum

Hangover ?

Alpo

I read somewhere, once upon a time, that you would not get a hangover from clear booze. It was the colored stuff that got you. The impurities from the wood that gave the booze its caramel color is what got you. So if you stuck to gin or vodka you'd be okay.

Any truth to that? Any hangover I ever got was from beer, back when I was young and dumb.

Guy in a story I was just reading drank half a bottle of vodka and woke up the next morning with a hangover. And from the dim dark recesses of my mind came, WAIT A MINUTE. CLEAR BOOZE AIN'T SUPPOSED TO GIVE YOU A HANGOVER.

Was I lied to in that long ago time? Or is the author of this story confused?

And why, when I am doing speech to text, If I say AND this piece of junk types IN, but if I say IN it types AND??:wacko::blink:

I have gotten hangovers from clear alcohol. Hangovers mostly come from Dehydration after drinking alcohol, regardless  of the type. Sugar also plays  a part. Really sweet drinks seem to amplify hangover effects.

Any type of alcohol can cause a hangover, however the better the quality of the booze, the less likely the hangover or at least less painful given the same amount of alcohol.

Clear is normally better.  Cheap booze equal major hangover!!    they are attempting to triple refine vodka to eliminate effects of consuming,    BUT you drink enough you will still get a hangover.    Believe me on this       GW

Very little truth to it. The alcohol is the main culprit. But some forms of booze will add more pain to the mix.

Back long ago when I had hangovers I learned that lots (and I mean lots) of water before bed would actually really help. So I was convinced that dehydration was a factor.

Comes a time in a rational man's experience where he figures hangovers aren't worth it, and are a bad sign anyway, and that if he wants to keep drinking then moderate and sensible drinking is the way to go.....

You'd think that would be obvious from the first, wouldn't you? Some lessons have to be lived.....

Comes a time in a rational man's experience where he figures hangovers aren't worth it, and are a bad sign anyway, and that if he wants to keep drinking then moderate and sensible drinking is the way to go.....

You'd think that would be obvious from the first, wouldn't you? Some lessons have to be lived.....

Yeah, what he said. As I've gotten older it's become less and less entertaining to drink to excess...

I can’t remember the last time I was hungover. It was years ago. With age comes wisdom. I do recall the worst hangover I ever had though. It was in 1968. Bad one. Yuchh.

Any alcohol can cause a hangover.

A gallon jug of water by the bed and charred toast.

The cheap stuff is worse.  The sweetness covers up the cheap stuff and makes it go down in larger volumes.  

The worst:  high elevation with cheap stuff after a long day of work.

MY DEAR FRIEND ALCOHOL;  

We had a deal. You were to make me funnier, sexier

and a better dancer.  I saw the video,  We need

to talk

I pride myself in being able to get a hangover no matter what color the alcohol! It's a gift I tell ya!:lol:

Take a dramamine before going to bed.  Hangover problem solved.

I just quit drinking all together. :D

And I found out that I like myself, I am healthier, I do have a nice personality (most of the time - not around morons, buttheads and obnoxious people) and I have more money for my gun and motorcycle hobbies. ;)

It's probably easier not to drink when you don't have a job you don't like to go to every day. I foresee me drinking much less when I retire.

:blink:

And I found out that I like myself, I am healthier, I do have a nice personality (most of the time - not around morons, buttheads and obnoxious people) and I have more money for my gun and motorcycle hobbies. ;)

Me too, I never was a heavy drinker and now it’s hardly any alcohol at all!

My limit is generally two drinks. Usually I just have one. Maybe twice a week. Seen too many folks in the past who let it get out of control. When I was single and wild I was almost one of em.  But one winter afternoon after work, I said “Boy I really need a drink”. Then I realized what I’d said. Need? Wait a minute. That could be a problem.

From then on I pretty much took Ben Franklin’s advice. All things in moderation.

It's probably easier not to drink when you don't have a job you don't like to go to every day. I foresee me drinking much less when I retire.

:blink:

I have found this to be totally true!

One thing l never do is drink when I’m down.
I found it doesn’t help a dang thing. Doesn’t really elevate my mood or make me feel better at all.

I just drink when I’m in a good mood. That works for me.

No harm ever came to anybody from not drinking!

My ma used to say that, rightly. Also, "nothing good happens out there after midnight."

My ma used to say that, rightly. Also, "nothing good happens out there after midnight."

Or on a full moon!

Breathing 100% O2 and drinking lots of water helps you recover faster. 

Spoken like an airline pilot. :lol:

Pat Riot:  having trouble highlighting to quote.  Your solution is probably the best overall.   My problem is, I have never in my life drank to get drunk (it happens, but is not the aim).  I drink because I like it.  Celtic blood lets me get away with it, but I'm operating under no illusions.

Utah Bob:  that full moon is a thing.  My mom was a pediatrics nurse, but they'd fairly regularly pull her to ER duty, and she swore a full moon brought 'em out.

First part-not true.  If you’re an alcoholic that drinks alcohol all day, you can die from not drinking.  Do Not Quit cold turkey.  Your blood will thicken.  Some people’s body cannot handle this.  I’ve known 2 people who were taken by ambulance and survived this.  The third was found in his home too late.  I tell you this as a warning: seek medical help Before quitting heavy daily drinking.

Archived