SASS Wire Forum

Full serve gas

Rye Miles #13621

I'm sure you all remember the full serve gas stations. They all were full serve and then it became your choice and then POOF, all of a sudden it was self serve period! I was thinking with today's easy pay options we have, like ordering food on an app and paying for it and going in to pick it up. Grocery stores delivering and/or having curbside pick-up for groceries or anyhting really. We have made it so easy for people now should we go back to FULL SERVE gas stations? How many times would you pay 5 or 10 cents more a gallon to have some attendant pump your gas during cold, rain, snow etc. I'm especially thinking about poor old folks that have to climb out of their cars and mess with pumping their own gas especially in inclement weather.

I helped an old lady the other day because she was having problems with getting the pump to work. She was putting her card in backwards!!:lol: Poor lady, she was freakin out!!

Thoughts on FULL serve?? I think New Jersey has full serve or the option maybe?

We have a full serve station here in the little town where I live,  but it's more like .50 cents extra per gallon. They also have 4 self serve pumps behind the main building. They have 1 full time mechanic and will pick up your car and change oil, routine maintenance, etc. Pretty busy place.

We have a full serve station here in the little town where I live,  but it's more like .50 cents extra per gallon. They also have 4 self serve pumps behind the main building. They have 1 full time mechanic and will pick up your car and change oil, routine maintenance, etc. Pretty busy place.

Wow!! Not sure I'd pay .50 cents more but for older folks that have disability problems it's probably worth it!;) 

Used to work at a gas station when I was in high school. Fill the tank, check the oil, wash the windows and check tire air once in awhile. Only problem I had was smelling like gasoline all the time. It was also a pretty dirty job, hell I was a kid and had just got my first car and the station owner let me fill my tank free once a week. Loved it!

A friend's wife refused to pump her own gas.  She had to drive across town to the only station in the area with full service gas.  There, she paid an additional 50 cents a gallon for full service gas.  

After a year of her paying 10 to 15 dollars a fillup more, he learned to make sure her car always had gas in it.

I'm sure you all remember the full serve gas stations. They all were full serve and then it became your choice and then POOF, all of a sudden it was self serve period! I was thinking with today's easy pay options we have, like ordering food on an app and paying for it and going in to pick it up. Grocery stores delivering and/or having curbside pick-up for groceries or anyhting really. We have made it so easy for people now should we go back to FULL SERVE gas stations? How many times would you pay 5 or 10 cents more a gallon to have some attendant pump your gas during cold, rain, snow etc. I'm especially thinking about poor old folks that have to climb out of their cars and mess with pumping their own gas especially in inclement weather.

I helped an old lady the other day because she was having problems with getting the pump to work. She was putting her card in backwards!!:lol: Poor lady, she was freakin out!!

Thoughts on FULL serve?? I think New Jersey has full serve or the option maybe?

Yes, Rye,   NJ still has it. 

Yes, Rye,   NJ still has it. 

I haven't seen a full service pump/island in years. I wouldn't pay any extra to have someone pump my gas because I'm cheap. Almost all of the the pumps around here have a sticker (next to the warning that tells you to not be an idiot) that has the universal handicap logo on it that tells you to push the button for attendant if you need assistance. While that's all fine and dandy, good luck getting the lazy attendant out of the building to assist you. Hell, they won't even change the paper roll for the gas receipts let alone help someone pump gas.

Labor = $ added to the price of gas. You provide FS and add $.25/gallon. The station across the street is self serve. Who's going to get the business?

I worked at a Gulf Station in 68. For $1 worth of gas or $15 we checked the oil, the radiator, the battery, washed the windows. If it was a fill up we also tried to check air pressure. But then again all the stations were doing that at some level.

Ike

Most stations are manned by one or two convenience store clerks who probably couldn’t find a radiator. They’d need to hire an extra high school kid who knew how to check oil and he’d want $15 an hour.

Time marches on. 

We have one station here that twice a week has a retired guy come in and pump gas. A lot of older people....especially women...try to fill their cars on those days. 

Millennials are the lowest percentage of automobile drivers.  They Might not provide enough monetary demand.  I think they would pay it just to keep the gas smell off of their hands.  The gas station should switch to a flat fee per service.  It will stop the cheapskates from buying one gallon to get their tires aired and oil checked.  Maybe some of the millennials will put more than 2 gallons of gas in their car at a time.

The gas station employees typically ignore the handicap call button and horn honking.  You have to call the phone number to get someone to come out to the handicap pump.  Putting your handicap placard on the mirror does not seem to make a difference.

Costco still has a full time attendant who will pump your gas without additional charge.  

Isn’t Oregon full serve everywhere? Didn’t they used to be?

We’ve got a little station that used to sell to commercial fleets only and then one of the sons took it over, remodeled, replaced and upgraded the tanks and pumps added a convenience store and auto parts and Uhaul and offers full service if there is more than one cashier on duty. I kind of like pumping my own gas and paying the cashier a visit, If you know what I mean.:wub:

We’ve got a little station that used to sell to commercial fleets only and then one of the sons took it over, remodeled, replaced and upgraded the tanks and pumps added a convenience store and auto parts and Uhaul and offers full service if there is more than one cashier on duty. I kind of like pumping my own gas and paying the cashier a visit, If you know what I mean.:wub:

Sly devil. B)

From the looks of 95% of the people taking my money at a gas station, I don't need them coming out to touch anything that I own.

And yep, that is the same reason why when I need to go to Walmart I go through the self-checkout line.

Rye, you gave me a great idea for a new business. Kinda like Grub hub and Uber. For I fee, I'll come to your house and take your car to the gas station and fill it up.:P

When I got out of the navy and went back to college, I worked at a full service station/tire shop/speed shop. We were expected to perform all  the checks without questioning the driver especially the tires. We had one young lady with dark auburn hair and wow legs come in every Friday for a fill up. It was the age of the mini skirt and washing her windshield was quite a show which it seemed she knowingly contributed to. Needless to say, she didn't have to wait long for service!

I can hardly afford gas now, and am perfectly capable of pumping my own.  Doesn't mean I like it.  And yes, I remember when all the gas we purchased locally was from my "Uncle" JD's Texaco station.  Uncle JD (he was Mama's cousin's husband) would run a tab and was just an all-around good man, and amusing to boot.  Full service?  If you were my Mama (or my Dad) it was a given.  His employee G (that's the only name I ever knew) provided above and beyond.  Bad to drink but an excellent mechanic.

Rye, you gave me a great idea for a new business. Kinda like Grub hub and Uber. For I fee, I'll come to your house and take your car to the gas station and fill it up.:P

That's a great idea! ;) You could also take the car to the car wash for them and also vacuum and clean the inside windows:o:D

That's a great idea! ;) You could also take the car to the car wash for them and also vacuum and clean the inside windows:o:D

You could also have them text you and meet them at the gas station and fill up, wash their windows and check their oil! Just like the old days!!:rolleyes:

From the looks of 95% of the people taking my money at a gas station, I don't need them coming out to touch anything that I own.

EXACTLY!

In Oregon it was against the law for you to pump your own gas. Drove me nuts! You sit in your truck and you hear bumping and grinding while watching some mental midget try to get a round tube in a bigger round hole on your $25,000 plus vehicle. 
Many times I would just flat out insist I pump my own gas when I would see Stoned Johnny Dumbarse show up to pump my gas. 

Then there were the morons that would insist on pumping gas into my motorcycle! Oh, Hell No! That didn’t happen. 

Of course, in the law in Oregon motorcycles get a pass on the law regarding someone pumping their own gas. 

I suppose you want me to wax and polish it, too?:o

The last time I went to Orygun, you weren't allowed to pump your own gas. You had to wait for the attendant.

Yes, and don't hand the attendant your credit card.  I had one sell my card number over the internet.  Also, some are sloppy and spill gas on your car.  I recall I was allowed to fill a diesel-powered vehicle myself.  That was a relief.

I suppose you want me to wax and polish it, too?:o

For an extra fee YES!!!

Rye, This is getting to be way too much work for a retired guy. I think I'll just tell the wife she needs to get a second job.^_^

Great part time business for her! You can get an APP that people can download on their phone and she can get messages right away! Maybe she could quit her job and do this full time with you supervising from your easy chair and phone of course :P

The last trip to Bend I stopped at a station in Klamath Falls. Attendant came right up opened the cover and removed the cap. Looked like they had a routine worked out. I told him I was getting $40. Went in and paid got something to drink. Came out and the cover was closed but the tank said $50. I put the key in and still only had a quarter of a tank. I hadn't noticed what the pump read before going in.

Told the attendant and finally someone else came out and after some discussion I finally got my gas. It made me wonder if this was a fluke or someone was trying to pocket some money. It was busy so I figure it was just a mistake. 

Oregon still does not allow self-serve. Since I'm in Washington with several forays per year into Oregon, I find I like it as a change. Nice not to have to get out of the car. I don't see a real difference in gas prices, because our Washington gas taxes are high anyway.

But pump service doesn't mean 'full service' as in the old days-- they are not going to wipe your windshield and check your oil.

On the other hand, on the Oregon coast last Summer, I had a low tire. I pulled into a gas station, and asked the attendant where the air was. He said 'right here' and he inflated my low tire then and there, even without a gas purchase. The air was right there by the gas pump, as in long-ago times. I really appreciated that!

Nor did I have to feed quarters into a thing to get air! It was free, like.....air...

Sometimes here  [Aus ] you will find a corner store that will fill your tank [ no extra cost ] but all the big servo's are self serve.

Archived