SASS Wire Forum

Mexican style food, etc.....

Widder, SASS #59054

The best Chinese food I've ever had was at a neighbor's son's wedding banquet.  (His bride was mail-ordered from Hong Kong.) This was in the '70s; so, I don't remember all of the dishes. However, there were so many courses (some of them still had their eyes), I lost count. Also, every table had a fifth of Whiskey on it. 

Just so. I went to a groom's dinner put on by the Chinese family and it was countless dishes. They are small; a few come, many different things. Then, they just keep coming; course after course after course. You end up beyond repletion.

You can get all the real Chinese you want, of various regions, if you live in or near cities that have big Chinese populations. But you need to ask for the real menu sometimes....

Best Chinese food I ever ate was in the Republic in Portland, Oregon. We ordered family style and told them to surprise us. It was great...

There was, once upon a time, a little hole-in-the-wall Mexican place in Cortez, Colorado that had really good  food. Only ate there once, but it was really good and it was across the street from another Mexican place with fancy decorations and a long line that we declined to go to...

For some reason I can't quote Red Gauntlet on the "real menu" issue.  Baby Girl & family lived in Beijing for two years while she was working for Olympic Broadcasting.  She learned, when there was something she really liked, to have the wait staff write it down for her in Mandarin.  Her rule when selecting a restaurant is, if the majority of the patrons are Chinese, we get to stay.  Then she just shows them her list.  Works like a gold-plated charm.

Around here I just order sopapillas and honey. :wub:

That’s another thing about Mexican restaurants out here versus Colorado or New Mexico they don’t serve sopapillas out here. Growing up in Colorado I remember sopapillas and honey were standard dessert items and they gave them to you with the meal.

I was born and raised in Northern New Mexico and of course we think they make the best. you can travel North along the rocky mountains and local folks cook just like they do in Santa Fe or Espanola.  Menudo is consumed in the morning as a cure for your hangover.

Sopapillas and honey are served in Nothern N.M.  cant say about Southern N.M.

I've had molcajete- or at least something that they called molcajete..

Flank steak (beef fajita meat), chicken, chorizo and shrimp served in a stone mortar (hence it's name) with a piece of grilled cactus.  Throw in some beans rice and tortillas and go to town.

I don't do tripe or organ meat but well prepared (undercooked, it has a mushy feel and overcooked is like bits of plastic) tongue is pretty good.

That is the molcajete I remember.  My difficulty in finding it on the many Mexican restaurants I have eaten at indicates tha not many chefs in US immigrated from the Mexico City region.  I wasn't sure that the menu item molecajetes wasn't like "aguar diente" which varies by region & country. 

Not being a smart*  but the molcajete is like a mortar and Pestle. a kitchen tool like a blender.

Molcajete Mexicana is food that is served in a Molcajete.

molcajete.jpg

Archived