SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Blackhawk

irish ike, SASS #43615

The categories that disallow "adjustable sights" specify "Any main match FIXED SIGHT revolver".

"Any main match revolver" includes Ruger Blackhawks.

Revolver requirements are on p.38

PaleWolf

Dualist must use a fixed sight revolver. But aged based categories allow any SASS legal revolver.

So can a Senior Dualist shoot an adjustable sight revolver?

Thanks

Ike

NO.
Senior Duelist is a sub-category of Duelist and must comply with the rules for Duelist category.

When breaking down all style/costume categories, the regulations for the base category is to be applied first, then the age limits.

SHB p.10 "CATEGORY MATRIX"

Thank you, the shooter I was trying help was confused between the two categories. He was thinking about buying blackhawks and didn't want to use them incorrectly.

Ike

He could shoot "Duelist-style" in the Senior category if he wants to.
;)

Revolvers may be shot in any SASS legal shooting style – EXCEPT Gunfighter

SHB p.5 "AGE BASED CATEGORIES"

That restriction has NEVER made sense to me. :angry:

If you haven't already purchases Black Hawks consider this:  at some future time you might want to change categories.  You'll be somewhat restricted on what new category you can choose because of the adjustable sights.  I shot my Black Hawks for several years and then decided I wanted to change to Duelist category.  So, I was forced into buying another set of revolvers.

Wait, more guns?  What am I complaining about?

Considering the adjustable sights were deemed to not be an advantage why are Blackhawks not allowed in most other categories. This is another rule that may stop new shooters from entering the game. When I started just about everyone owned a Blackhawk, and sometimes they are on sale for a considerably less than fixed sighted pistols. They can also be found for much less in the used market.

If you haven't already purchases Black Hawks consider this:  at some future time you might want to change categories.  You'll be somewhat restricted on what new category you can choose because of the adjustable sights.  I shot my Black Hawks for several years and then decided I wanted to change to Duelist category.  So, I was forced into buying another set of revolvers.

Wait, more guns?  What am I complaining about?

I bought my Blackhawks when they were legal for Senior Duelist, but they were outlawed before I got old to shoot Senior Duelist.

Randy

Archived