SASS Wire Forum

Politicians

Just in from Half-Breed Pete!  Perfect timing, as we enter the early days of what local radio personality Ray Appleton calls "The Silly Season."  :)

But first, a few disclaimers:

1)  If this has been posted before, my apologies for re-posting.  If they haven't been posted before, they should have been.  At any rate, they would bear re-reading.  ;) 

2)  Not verified for accuracy as to whom the quotes are attributed.  Doesn't really matter - they stand on their own merit.  :rolleyes:

3)  It should be noted that no particular office holders, candidates, nor parties are specifically "targeted" in any way.  ('Tain't necessary! :P)

POLITICIANS

If God wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates.  ~Jay Leno~

The problem with political jokes is they get elected.  ~Henry Cate, VII~

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office  ~Aesop~

If we got one-tenth of what was promised to us in these State of the Union speeches, there wouldn't be any inducement to go to heaven.  ~Will Rogers~

Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.  ~Nikita Khrushchev~

When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it.  ~Clarence Darrow~

Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel, go out and buy some more tunnel.  ~John Quinton~

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other.  ~Oscar Ameringer~

I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them.  ~Adlai Stevenson, campaign speech, 1952~

A politician is a fellow who will lay down your life for his country.  ~ Tex Guinan~

I have come to the conclusion that politics is too serious a matter to be left to the politicians.  ~Charles de Gaulle~

Instead of giving a politician the keys to the city, it might be better to change the locks.  ~Doug Larson~

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on senators.  ~Will Rogers~

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

Any favorites?  :)

Those are great!!! Love the open season quote by Will Rogers!!

I’ve always liked, “ It’s so cold I saw a politician with his hands in his own pockets!

This country was built by men in overalls, Then destroyed by men in suits           GW

This song sums up this "season" for me.

Cream - Politician

Hey now, baby
Get into my big black car
Hey now, baby
I want to just show you
What my politics are

I'm a political man
And I practice what I preach
I'm a political man
And I practice what I preach
So don't deny me, baby
Not while you're in my reach

I support the left
Though I'm leaning, leaning to the right
I support the left
Though I'm leaning to the right
But I'm just not there
When it's coming to a fight

Hey now, baby
Hey now, baby
I want to just show you
What my politics are

- Imagine, if you will, that I am an idiot. Then, imagine that I am also a congressman. But, alas, I repeat myself.

- It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress.

Mark Twain

* I think Twain was also the origin of the 'politicians are like diapers' quote.

"A fool and his money are soon elected."
--Will Rogers

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."
--Will Rogers

"Congress didn't vote on the bills, they just wave at them as they go by."
--Will Rogers

"Democrats never agree on anything, that's why they're Democrats. If they agreed with each other, they would be Republicans."
--Will Rogers

"I am not a member of any organized political party — I am a Democrat."
--Will Rogers

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts."
--Will Rogers

"If you ever injected truth into politics you would have no politics."
--Will Rogers

This was my mother-in-law, to a "T".

She was 100% honest and worked hard for her constituents as a city council member.
She lost a re-election bid to a tootsie who later was busted for embezzlement.

Maw-in-law was approached by a group of business people wanting to buy leverage.
She turned them down.
As it turned out, it was a gov't team and they busted a lot of folks, but not her.

329.06 million people in the US or really close to that, and this is the best we have to lead our cities, counties, states and the country?

"Politicians are like diapers, full of ________ and need to be changed often. "  Not a clue who said this.  

Archived