SASS Wire Forum

Prayer Posse - Velvet Glove

Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

Copper Queen and I are happy to hear that she continues to improve. It has been a full year and recovery from these type of issues can be difficult. I had a best friend a few years ago that did not recover ad passed away a few days after his stroke. CQ had a very minor one a few years ago but  fortunately has no permanent effects. Love to V G :wub:

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12/13/2020 pm. "Hi all, here is Michele's weekly update. I spoke with her physical therapist this week and he said Michele is starting to walk unassisted using a single cane now. He has her walking 3 steps up and down. She requires a little assistance in getting that right foot up on the step, however she is getting stronger. Her new leg splint is still being made. Her PEG site is no longer seaping and almost completely healed. I brought her a small Christmas tree this week and her sisters were quick to bring her ornaments for her tree."

12/20/2020 pm I just found out her birthday was12/19/2020. "Michele had a very exciting birthday weekend. Her best friend from college and her family came to visit her on Friday and Saturday. Michele was so pleased to see them. Next came all the cards and gifts from all her friends and family. Her room was full of wrapping paper and gift bags. Thanks to all who made her birthday a special one. Her little Christmas tree continues to get ornaments from all of her CAS friends. She is so very proud of her tree and all the ornaments. She asked me to thank you all. Astrid and I visited her today which added to her exciting weekend. Regarding her rehab, her physical therapist had her walking with a single cane all this past week. Her strength is growing for she is able to walk further each day before giving out. Her new leg splint seems to be working well."

Happy Birthday, Velvet Glove!

12/27/2020 pm. "I just wanted to thank you all for the cards, gifts, and ornaments that were sent to Michele. Ya'll made Christmas very special for my angel. Her room looks like Christmas expoded and she absolutely loves it! Her tree is full of ornaments that were sent with love and stockings hang from her little bulletin board, and you should see the tall pile of cards on her table. Today she had a very busy day. Her mom, aunt, and uncle drove from Texas to visit with her today. One of her sisters and brother came by to say hi also. And finally, Astrid and I visited. She smiled and laughed so much today that she was tired when I left. I am so thankful for the progress that I have seen this past year and so thankful that Michele got to enjoy Christmas this year. Last year she did not get to enjoy Christmas. So I thank you all again for the special Christmas that you gave my angel."

Thank you for the update. I feel like I have met this lady from your updates.

1/3/2021 pm "Michele had another good week and was visited by friends over the new years holidays. I spoke to the lady over rehab and she stated that Michele continues to show progress . I was very happy to hear that. Today Astrid and I visited her and we had her smiling and laughing a lot. So good to see that beautiful smile. As we were leaving today, Michele promised us that she will continue to work very hard during the rehab sessions."

Here’s hoping that she can come home soon!!

01/11/2021 pm. "My apologies, I forgot to update Michele's post last night. Friday I received a video from Michele's nurse of Michele walking in therapy and it brought tears to my eyes. Michele is really walking much better with her new leg brace. She was cruzing on the walking track with the parallel bars. I could not believe the progress. When I visited her that afternoon at her window, her speech had improved more as well. She is working so hard to regain her independence and get home. She is one very determined and stubborn lady. She told me that this stroke was not going to beat her..."

01/17/2021 pm "Michele continues to improve. Her nurses are so impressed with her determination. They say she is doing so good with her walking. Today I noticed how her speech continues to improve. She enjoyed getting to visit with Astrid today. Astrid even sang for her. Kay W, Michele said thank you for the gift. Goodnight all."

01/24/2021 pm. "Last Tue Michele complained of pain in her right leg. She had developed cellulitis causing swelling and fever in the leg. She was started on antibiotics and as of today the leg is much better and no longer any pain, swelling, or fever. Her speech is improving weekly. On saturday her nurse asked her how she was doing and she replied "I am doing well". Michele's spirits are well and we shared a lot of laughs this weekend. She is especially excited because she is getting her hair colored she hates the gray."

01/31/2021 pm. "I spoke with Michele's physical therapist on Friday. He said this week she had not shown any more progress from the previous week, but at least no steps back. Her speech does continue to improve though. I brought her supper on Saturday and when she took a bite, she looked at me and said " this is good" plain as day. Sunday Astrid visited Michele and Astrid rubbed against the window screen and puppy grunted for Michele. Michele was thrilled. Michele said she wanted more physical activity when she was not in therapy, so I asked the therapist and he was going to talk to the director to see what they could give Michele to do in her room. I will provide more info when I get it. Good night all."

02/07/2021 pm. Update from Freddie on Michele's progress. "Michele wanted me to say hello to everyone. She wanted to thank John Ringo/Calamity Annie, and Kay W for the gifts. Michele continues to get stronger. This past week we observed her speech improving more. As long as she takes her time, you can understand most of what she is saying. Astrid and I visited her today and Astrid sang and talked to Michele. She had Michele laughing a lot. Thank you all for the thoughts, prayers, and cards. This really helps Michele stay motivated."

02/15/2021 pm "Michele is doing well. Her speech continues to improve. When I visited her on Valentine's Day and brought her a card and flowers, she said "they are beautiful." She maintains a very positive attitude and is quite determined to come home. She is enjoying the snow we have received however she is not crazy about the extreme low temps. Thanks again all for all the support. Hopefully we will be getting her home soon."

02/21/2021 pm. "Michele is doing well this week and is enjoying the winter wonderland. She did not receive much therapy this week due to therapists not able to get to rehab. I noticed her speech continues to improve. I asked her to read out load when she reads her books, which will further improve her speech. When she speaks, she hears when a word does not come out correctly. Her spirits are high and she continues to laugh and smile during my visits. She is continuing to work hard so she can come home."

Tell her folks who have never met her yet are praying for her!

On 12/29/2020 at 9:23 AM, DeaconKC said:

Thank you for the update. I feel like I have met this lady from your updates.

She is worth meeting.  Very special lady.

• 2 weeks later...

Michele Hunter, AKA Velvet Glove:

03/07/2021 pm. "First the thank you's: thank you Kay W for the gift and thanks to all who keep the cards and words of encouragement coming. Michele is doing well, her spirit is bright, and she has a very positive attitude. I received a video this week from her speech therapist. She has Michele saying phrases which she did, and for the most part, very clearly. I want to report, I have started the process of getting Michele back home. One of our good cowboy friends is designing and helping me build a handicap ramp for our home. Along with the ramp, we are placing handicap rails in the bathroom around the toilet and in the shower. When I informed Michele, needless to say she is quite excited. I asked her to remain patient while we get these changes made. My goal is to get her home NO later than the end of April."

OUTSTANDING!!!  Best news I have had in a week!!

Just SUPERB!!

• 2 weeks later...

Good news from Freddie 03/18/2021 pm. "Hello all from Michele. She is doing great and the nurses report she seems to be working even harder during her therapy. It could have something to do with her coming home soon. My goal is to get her home no later than the end of April. This past weekend some of my great cowboy buddies helped me build a wheel chair ramp to our back porch. It is almost completed and Michele absolutely loves the pictures of it. I ordered and received the bathroom rails for the toilet and shower. As soon as we finish the ramp and install the bathroom rails, my angel is coming home!!!"

Thank you for the update!

Fantastic news. It’s certainly been a long journey but coming home will be a most happy event!

Wonderful news. All of my friends passed away from their strokes. My paternal grandfather lived for 30 years with his but endured a lot of pain.

It's really comforting to have this pardette coming along so well.

• 2 weeks later...
04/02/2021 PM, from Freddy about Michele Hunter, AKA Velvet Glove: "Hello all. Michele is doing great. She is coming home on April 12. I worked with the therapists and Michele today learning her exercises and how to correctly transfer her. She is so very excited. Thank you all for the thoughts, prayers, cards, and gifts. Thank you Kay W and Calamity Cricket for the gifts. A very special thank you to my cowboy brothers who helped me build the wheelchair ramp and place the safety rails in her bathroom."

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:
04/02/2021 PM, from Freddy about Michele Hunter, AKA Velvet Glove: "Hello all. Michele is doing great. She is coming home on April 12. I worked with the therapists and Michele today learning her exercises and how to correctly transfer her. She is so very excited. Thank you all for the thoughts, prayers, cards, and gifts. Thank you Kay W and Calamity Cricket for the gifts. A very special thank you to my cowboy brothers who helped me build the wheelchair ramp and place the safety rails in her bathroom."

So very happy!!!

Can we get the home address once again, please.

Archived