SASS Wire Forum

Prayer Posse - Velvet Glove

Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

Be careful!!  I wanted to go home so badly that I finally escaped and managed to get completely out of the hospital before I was apprehended.  I was walking down a busy city street before the cops caught me.  I meant it when I said I wanted to go home.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/17/2020 at 11:30 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:
04/16/2020 pm. "Today I received the phone call I have been dreading. The insurance company is no longer covering her rehab care because she is not progressing fast enough. So she will have to be transferred to long term care. I am contacting an attorney tomorrow to try and get Michele on Medicaid to help cover the cost of long term care. The insurance will continue to cover op therapy while she is in long term care. I was so hoping to get her home but she cannot independently walk and she still has her feeding tube. I explained the situation to her and she said she understands. I would love to be able to care for her at home but I have to work, bills won't pay themselves. This day has totally sucked for both of us."

Ask the insurance company for the medical credentials of the person who made the adverse decision.  They may reverse the decision to keep from admitting that their adjuster is a high school graduate with no medical experience.

Duffield

Prayers continuing for Velvet Glove.

But God also has attorneys who can often get an intransigent insurance company's attention.

Look back at my post about my battle with the insurance company. Her care facility can do most of the appeal process and do it more effectively and usually much less expensive than going to a lawyer!!

When my rehab facility did this, the insurance company agreed to cover whatever additional time in facility was needed!!!!

04/24/2020 pm. "I was fortunate enough to see my angel Thurs and Fri evening. She was in good spirits yesterday and full of smiles. Her speech has improved since I saw her Sunday. Today she was in fairly good spirits, a little frustrated with the slowness of the healing process. She is eating better, ate 50% of her breakfast this morning. Tomorrow the weather is suppose to be nice so Astrid and I will visit and really make her day. Good night and God bless."

04/27/2020 pm. "Astrid and I visited with Michele Sat and Sun. Michele was so happy to she her baby! Her smiles were priceless. She continues to eat better and participate better in therapy. Today I visited with her this afternoon and she was so happy to hear me. She only broke down crying one time and only for a short while. She was very vocal today and I understood many of her words. She seemed more positive today so I hope that is a good sign of things to come. I will take any baby step I can get. Good night and God bless."

On 4/23/2020 at 1:08 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Look back at my post about my battle with the insurance company. Her care facility can do most of the appeal process and do it more effectively and usually much less expensive than going to a lawyer!!

When my rehab facility did this, the insurance company agreed to cover whatever additional time in facility was needed!!!!

Here in Canada, we ran into "issues" with some insurance companies "appeal" process. Numerous appeals using their process got now where and eventually timed out or the insured gave up.

People with similar issues went immediately to a lawyer familiar with that type of law and received positive results.

As my Father used to say: "The purpose of an Insurance Company is to make money."

04/30/2020 "Yesterday my independent angel tried to go to the restroom and ended up in the floor. She said she was not hurt. This morning, the nurses had a hard time trying to wake her. They were concerned so they sent her to the hospital for a ct scan and blood work. They wanted to make sure she had not hit her head. All results came back normal and she became more alert. They are watching her closely. I checked on her this evening and she is doing fine. She will be quarantined for 14 days since she left the facility. I will get to see her tomorrow evening. Good night and God bless."

05/02/2020 pm. "First thing, Kay from Santa Fe, NM, Michele got your card and thank you for the gift. Astrid and I went to visit Michele today and found the window already crowded with Michele's 4 sisters. Michele was so happy to see them. I saw plenty of smiles and even heard her laugh once. After they left, I told Michele "your sisters love you" and she replied, "I love them". Michele's speech was very good today. I hope this is a good sign that her right side will start to wake up now. It was a great visit today even if it was through a window. Astrid and I will go back tomorrow and visit. Good night and God bless."

05/05/2020 pm. "I got to visit with my angel yesterday. She was smiling and glad to see me. She seemed a little tired from the therapy because it was difficult understanding all her words. She was a little impatient because she kept letting out long sighs. I can't blame her because it was 5 months since the stroke occurred. I spoke to her nurse this evening and she said Michele ate her supper and even requested a snack later. Glad to see her appetite improving. I would love to see that peg tube taken out. The nurse also said she was understanding Michele's speech more. Therapy is having to come to her room till next Thurs while she is quarantined. Nurse reported she is participating well. All I have for now. Good night and God bless."

05/08/2020 pm. "Yesterday I received a call from Michele's speech therapist. She said that Michele has been working very hard this past week. Michele would read the word on the paper and say it. If the word did not sound right, Michele shook her head and said "that's not right" and would continue saying the word till she got it correct. I am so proud of her. That afternoon, I received a call from her nurse. Little Ms Independent, moved herself from the bed, to the wheelchair, and then moved to the toilet, all without falling. She wore herself out doing this. I told the nurse to make sure to place the wheelchair away from the bed when Michele is in the bed. And guess what, Michele used her help button today when she had to use the restroom. Today, I received a facetime today while Michele was doing her physical therapy. She stood up so fast from the wheelchair that I was shocked. She had her hand on a walker and walked a couple of steps. She sit back down, gathered her strength, stood back up and took another couple of small steps with the therapist help and then sit back down. I did not have a dry eye watching her. She has really started working hard this week. I think she really wants to get back home. Needless to say this totally made my day. When she was standing up I said I am so proud of you. Her response, "I know" and then waved to me. When I got back to town, we had our afternoon window visit. Tomorrow Astrid and I plan visiting her. Good night and God bless."

I will continue praying for her and you. She is a fighter!  But You Sir are my hero!  I cannot begin to imagine the pain you have felt, the stress you have suffered, the financial worries you have, the schedule nightmare you endure, the travel nightmares you put up with, those things would have killed me!  You continue on and even find time to update us about our friend.  You have my utmost respect and admiration!  Someday you will march with the Heroes and Saints as they pass in front of the Lord!

05/12/2020 pm. "Astrid and I got to visit Michele this Saturday and found her in good spirits. Sunday, I placed a Mother's Day card on the packs fence and recorded some video for Michele so she could see her babies. She loved it when I showed it to her. Very big smiles. She is the wolf mom after all. Monday I received a call from her nurse, Michele is able to take her meds orally now with no issues. Now if she will just start to eat more so we can remove the PEG tube. Bottom line, she continues to improve. Good night and God bless."

05/17/2020 pm. "Friday I got to see my angel and she was so very depressed. I could not cheer her up. Her recovery is not occurring fast enough for her and that has really discouraged her. It broke my heart to watch her cry.
Saturday-Sunday. I was visited her each day between the thunderstorms for an hour. Her spirits were better and she greeted me with smiles both days. I was able to keep her smiling both days. Michele is a very physical person and this damn virus has really effected her. She hates not being able to touch me. I brought her mail to her on Saturday and she really enjoyed reading the cards. Please pray for her continued healing and strength not to give up. Good night and God bless."

Depression is VERY real during rehab!  I often  find myself frustrated and angry when I can’t do something that “I’ve always done!” or when I have to pass on something because I’m still not quite ready to do it.

Saturday, I headed down to Wartrace for our mid-month match. My original intent was to round up my gear and garb and shoot the match, but as Thursday and Friday passed, I realized that my balance STILL wasn’t what it needed to be to shoot and move safely with guns.I just went and watched. I DID drop off a new shotgun to be made “race ready” and I purchased a pistol that I’d been wanting from a friend, but that evening and most of the day, yesterday, I was out of sorts and lacked any kind of patience with anything!!!  The fact that somewhere along the way I managed to get a tiny nick on the foot that I’ve had so much trouble with didn’t make things any better,

SO!!  Today I’m laying in bed for the second day, trying to let this tiny wound heal, and entirely ready to shoot the next thing that makes me mad!! :angry: :rolleyes: :lol:

Please pass along my best wishes and any encouragement I can lend, to a sweet and classy lady who is an inspiration to all of us!!

Was thinking of Velvet Glove & Headstone this morning. I check daily for updates and it has been several days since the last report. I do hope she is progressing with her recovery. May God bless them both.  

I've been checking for Freddy's updates every day. I worry when there are none. He must feel sad when there are no positive steps to report. Anyway, he posted one last night.

05/22/2020 pm. "I was able to visit my angel this afternoon through her window. I found her in good spirits, full of smiles, and glad to see me. Her status is the same. I could not see any improvements since Sunday but at least no steps back. I pray that you all never have to experience this. This is the hardest thing I have ever dealt with. Not a week goes by that I don't feel like giving up. We both feel that the good Lord has forsaken us. I was watching a movie the other night and I heard some words to hang on to, "never give up on the ones you love". So on those dark days, I remember those words. So Each night give your spouse or significant other a big hug and kiss before going to bed. This life we have is short. Good night all and God bless."

Thank you Allie for this wonderful thing your doing.  A hug and kiss from 12 and Pat.

Velvet,

It’s nice to see the reports of your continued progress.
I wish you the very best.

Cat Brules

05/25/2020 pm. "Being a holiday weekend, I was fortunate enough to visit my angel 4 days in a row. Saturday she was quite happy when she received a visit from 6 of our friends and their children. She was all smiles. Sunday and today we had a good visit together and she was in quite good spirits. I received a facetime call this morning and Michele wanted to tell me hi. The nurse told me that she asked for breakfast this morning so hopefully that means her appetite is improving. I would love to have that PEG tube removed. Good night and God bless."

05/29/2020 pm. "I was able to visit my angel this evening through her window. Her spirits were good and she was full of smiles. I definitely could tell her speech is improving. Her nurse said for the past 3 nights she had eaten over 50% of her evening meals. Whenever she does this, she does not receive a tube feeding. If her appetite continues with this trend, the PEG tube can be removed. The nurse also said that she is contacting them whenever she has to go to the restroom and when she is ready for bed. More improvement and no steps back. Good night and God bless."

05/31/2020 pm. "Saturday Astrid and I got to visit my angel for an hour outside her window. Michele enjoyed getting to see her baby and she was all smiles. Astrid enjoyed seeing her mama as well. Michele's speech was very good and I understood most of what she was saying. Sunday it was just me visiting Michele. Her spirits were good and I received some beautiful smiles. She promised she would work hard during therapy this week and continue to eat better. Good night and God bless."

06/04/2020 pm. "Today was a rough day. 6 months ago today my angel had her stroke. I have been fortunate this week because I was able to visit Michele Tue, Wed, and Thur evenings at her window. Her spirits are good and she was full of smiles. I have been told she has done well in therapy this week. Her speech is better some days than others. She still enjoys all the cards. She says to tell all her FB friends hello and that she refuses to give up. Good night all."

Another round of prayer for this courageous lady heading south of the Medicine Line.

06/05/2020 pm. "Before I begin with an update, a very special thank you to Larry & Pat and Kay W for the kind gift. It is very much appreciated.
Due to the summer like conditions, I have to plan my window visits beginning at 5 pm so I will be out of the direct sun. Gets hot on that asphalt. My angel face timed me this afternoon to remind me of my 5pm visit. It was so sweet all I could do was laugh. Michele was very happy to see me this afternoon. We visited at her window for an hour. She was in a flirty mood and reminded me of our dating years. Some times we just look into each others eyes and smile. I recorded a quick message from her that I sent to her sisters in which she said "Hi Peeps". She received a quick recorded reply from her sisters that really made her smile. She has such a positive attitude that it should help her body to heal. She is already looking forward till tomorrow when she will receive visits from her mom, aunt, uncle, and her sisters! Good night all."

Archived