SASS Wire Forum

Mr. Stoner's baby question

Alpo

I will say this up front. I don't like the AR-15. Same as I don't like Glocks and I don't like Smith & Wesson automatics.

All of the ARs (both semi and full) that I have fired had the collapsible stock, 93836.jpg?sw=800&sh=800

where your ear is lying right up against the tube, and every time you shoot you hear the recoil spring run back and forth.

Whang whang. Whang whang.

That's one of the reasons I dislike the gun. Not the only one, but a big one.

But I just now got to wondering if the original stocked gun - where your ear was sitting up against that piece of plastic 

Colt-M16-Semi-Automatic-Rifle.png

if you heard the spring when shooting that?

You can, but definitely not as loud. 

A little trick I use is grease. I put grease on the buffer recoil spring and I also grease the tube. It’s a messy clean up but it definitely quiets things down. Also, I adjust the buffer weight to the round I am firing and the bolt carrier group. That is a PITA so I have taken the more expensive lazy man’s route. I buy an adjustable gas block and set it up correctly. No buffer slamming and less noise. 

That was a big turn off for me as well Alpo. Greasing the spring and tube makes a huge difference. 

To me it’s just one of the gun’s quirks. It was especially noticeable when I wore muffs instead of ear plugs. The muffs’ plastic rested on the stock, and and spring noise came straight through while the other sounds were muffled. 

Been years and I only shot an AR-15 that some guy had at a civilian range.  Yup! Bang! Zing, zing!  I don't recall if I was wearing plugs or muffs, but  you could sure hear that spring! :(  I don't worry about the libs taking my AR-15...cause I don't own one. And don't want to!  Now hearing something go "ping!" after eight shots don't bother me at all! B)

I use an adjustable hydraulic buffer. I hear nothing. It helps with cycling of the bolt when changing between loads. I.e. 55grn to 77 grn bullets

Been years and I only shot an AR-15 that some guy had at a civilian range.  Yup! Bang! Zing, zing!  I don't recall if I was wearing plugs or muffs, but  you could sure hear that spring! :(  I don't worry about the libs taking my AR-15...cause I don't own one. And don't want to!  Now hearing something go "ping!" after eight shots don't bother me at all! B)

I enjoy both the ping and the spring. 
And I don’t mind the sound of a bolt locking either. :lol:

If the sweet sound of the buffer spring annoys you replace the spring & buffer with a hydraulic buffer or spring with a Geissele spring.  The Geissele spring is wound with 2 wires.

Two other tips: 1)  change the gas block with an adjustable gas block or adjustable gas key  2)  replace the 2 aluminum buffer weights with tungsten weights.   By adjusting the gas system you will eliminate dented brass.

You've never had AR-15 soup?  OH!! what a sheltered life.

JP enterprises makes a encapsulated spring and buffer. Virtually no spring noise and you can add

or subtract weights on the buffer to tailor it to the loads you're firing.

https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php

Archived