SASS Wire Forum

Ricochet... *Ouch!*

Most of us have been zinged by "bounce-backs," but this is a bit much.  :huh:

"Several years ago, but still interesting.  Armalite AR-50. The ammo was South African Mil-Surp. The range was 100 yards. The target plate was only 1/4″ thick. It should have been like tissue paper to the 750 grain slug at 2800 FPS."

I have seen some discussion on whether this is genuine or not.

my question is about the distance.  It seemed to take too long for 100 yards.  I'd have guessed a lot further.

I seems ballistically very interesting for a round to ricochet 180° and travel back that distance. 

my question is about the distance.  It seemed to take too long for 100 yards.  I'd have guessed a lot further.

Yep.  About 2.5 seconds or so.  Figure ~2,700 fps (900 yards per second).  That means a touch over a tenth of a second to go that 100 yards downrange.  Even if half the velocity is lost on the impact and rebound, that would still only be about a quarter second for the return.  Less than one second for the round trip.

The steel plate would have to be at least 1" of AR500 otherwise the projectile would punch/burn a hole through the plate.  The bullet must have had a hard metal core like the 5.56X45 penetrator.

I suspect that the round either went through the steel plate and then hit two or more rocks that reversed its trajectory.

OR

It hit the plate and was deflected into the rocks where it made a couple of bank shots that sent it back to the starting line. 

Interesting that no faces are shown. Or the injury.

Had a neighbor once shoot a 45ACP at a piece of lolly column at about 25 yards and the bullet came back and hit him in the shin. Left a pretty nasty bruise.

On another Forum I frequent this video was discussed and someone broke the timing down. I do not remember the exactitudes but something along the lines like SubDeacon Joe did.  The whirring sound was one thing the guy keyed on as indicating the returning projectile was subsonic velocity as the sound preceded the projectile. I will try to find that discussion.

PS I found the thread and the original post on youtube had it as a 1000 yard target.

I shot a steel plate in a match about 10 years ago and the bullet came right back and hit me in the navel. ouch, tender spot, took my breath away

Imis

Archived