SASS Wire Forum

bronze or brass brushes

Bullett Sass 19707

I shoot a shotgun load that leaves a lot of plastic in my barrel.   The load I use allows me to compete in this sport so I don't intend to change.  My question is,  I need a stiff brush to clean out the plastic and the brushes that I get are to flexible.  I bought a stainless steel tornado brush but I am worried about scratching the bore.  I shoot the same load in my model 12 and 97 with almost no plastic but the browning BSS gets a lot of plastic.   Is SS to harsh or do I need a stiffer bronze brush?  Thanks Bullett 19707

I shoot two BSS with blackpowder and plastic wads. I think you are working too hard.

Buy some #4 rubber plugs/corks at a hardware store ( I got mine from Ace). Plug the breech end of the barrel and slosh hot soapy water in there for a minute, pour it out, repeat a couple of times. Then plug the muzzle end and let it sit while you clean your other guns. Pour out the soapy water and push a tight fitted wadded up paper towel through the bore.  You probably will not need a brush at this point but you can repeat the soapy water wash if needed.  Finish with protective lube of choice on a BoreSnake.

I had the same concerns, but I took the risk with the Tornado Brush.  I now have a 2-1/2 year history of using it in both my own and my wife's BSSs, with both bores on both guns still looking like mirrors.  There are no scratches evident, even in the chamber and forcing cone area, where I brush very aggressively. 

I might add that I usually brush the chambers and bores after about every two stages, so the Tornado gets hard service.  I usually use it dipped in Hoppes #9 or after a spray of Ballistol.  It clears out powder, plastic, and leading better than anything else I've tried. 

But I do follow it with a dry cloth patch.  I buy the red shop towels at Harbor Freight and cut them into quarters.  The quarters are  perfect size for a 12 GA.  I run them down the barrel, using the Tornado Brush as a jag.  Fit is quite tight, which is what I want.  I launder and reuse the patches.  

I had the same concerns, but I took the risk with the Tornado Brush.  I now have a 2-1/2 year history of using it in both my own and my wife's BSSs, with both bores on both guns still looking like mirrors.  There are no scratches evident, even in the chamber and forcing cone area, where I brush very aggressively. 

I might add that I usually brush the chambers and bores after about every two stages, so the Tornado gets hard service.  I usually use it dipped in Hoppes #9 or after a spray of Ballistol.  It clears out powder, plastic, and leading better than anything else I've tried. 

But I do follow it with a dry cloth patch.  I buy the red shop towels at Harbor Freight and cut them into quarters.  The quarters are  perfect size for a 12 GA.  I run them down the barrel, using the Tornado Brush as a jag.  Fit is quite tight, which is what I want.  I launder and reuse the patches.  

I also use the tornado brush with great success. I used to shoot BP with the plastic hulls and with a squirting of Vinegar Windex the black snot rolled out. I now shoot only brass shotshells and still use the Tornado brush even though no more black snot. Do not notice any scratching using the tornado brush.

I shoot a shotgun load that leaves a lot of plastic in my barrel.   The load I use allows me to compete in this sport so I don't intend to change.  My question is,  I need a stiff brush to clean out the plastic and the brushes that I get are to flexible.  I bought a stainless steel tornado brush but I am worried about scratching the bore.  I shoot the same load in my model 12 and 97 with almost no plastic but the browning BSS gets a lot of plastic.   Is SS to harsh or do I need a stiffer bronze brush?  Thanks Bullett 19707

I have been using tornado brushes for almost 40 years. Never had an issue. The guys that turned me onto them all belonged to the All Navy Trap and Skeet team.  They used them daily on their guns to remove plastic fowling.

The reason it doesn't scratch is because of its design.  However if you ever break any of the coils throw it away and get a new on as a broken coil could scratch the bore.  That said I have never heard of one breaking.

I have not used a shotgun bore brush in over 25 years! and I get a lot of plastic from my CB loads not as much in my sporting clays loads! I push a patch saturated with Hoppes #9 on a Bore Tech Shotgun jag ( I use because of its very tight fit on the barrel) down the barrel or barrels  , followed with a second saturated patch, then let it sit for 5 min. then run another saturated patch down the barrel followed with a dry patch then I clean the forcing cone with a Payne Galway chamber brush that I get from ProShot they are not cheap but worth every penny and they last for years ! then I run a wet patch then a couple of dry patch' Then I run a oil patch. Has worked for me for years ( I tried Butch's bore shine and it works too) V.D.

I have used both regular bronze brushes and tornado brushes as jags with a wet patch over the top.

I have also used the wadded up paper towel method (really tight) after spraying the bore down and letting it soak (I like Remington Bright Bore).

I use a wooden dowel and push the paper towel right into the trash can.

I shoot two BSS with blackpowder and plastic wads. I think you are working too hard.

Buy some #4 rubber plugs/corks at a hardware store ( I got mine from Ace). Plug the breech end of the barrel and slosh hot soapy water in there for a minute, pour it out, repeat a couple of times. Then plug the muzzle end and let it sit while you clean your other guns. Pour out the soapy water and push a tight fitted wadded up paper towel through the bore.  You probably will not need a brush at this point but you can repeat the soapy water wash if needed.  Finish with protective lube of choice on a BoreSnake.

What he said!!

Chancy

Archived