SASS Wire Forum

What is RICH?

Chili Ron

Howdy,

I always thought winning the lotto would make me rich.

Ive made a decent living but some folks have a good deal more.

Smarter or luckier or ????

Well rich just took on a whole new meaning.

$200,000 is a nice income right?

You notice I didn't say per year......or per month.

And I didn't say per week either......

How about per day?

Can you imagine $200,000 per day???

Dividend income from the process of making condensed soup.

The girls grandfather did it.

They can a billion cans a year.

So much money.

Best

CR

ps details in the Chi Trib last week.

That’s okay. She can have her money. I am happy and somewhat healthy. I can still ride my bike. I can go shooting. My wife loves me. All is right with the world. ;)

That’s okay. She can have her money. I am happy and somewhat healthy. I can still ride my bike. I can go shooting. My wife loves me. All is right with the world. ;)

I miss my wife greatly, but otherwise I am in a good place in my life. Not rich but able to get what I need and most of what I want.  (Do you have any idea how much a surplus M-706-E2 costs?)

Rich is two things: 1. No mortgage, no other debt. 2. Looking at something nice and knowing that you could write a check for it, but getting more pleasure out of not buying it than buying it.

Doesn't really matter how much money you have if that's where you are.

Sort of like the place you get when you enjoy not going to the party, but still nice to be invited.

"What is RICH"?

interesting topic with various meanings to many folks.

During certain times of each month, I feel rich if I have a few bucks remaining from my

monthly budget.

Last month, I bought me a new ATV (Yamaha Kodiak) and felt rich because I could afford to

finance it.   My credit was good enough for that.   Hopefully, I'll find myself rich enough to

put gas in it and haul it around to some local mountainous trails.

Some folks are rich in wisdom or intelligence.

Some are rich in family and love ones.

Some are rich with a good friend or two.

Some are rich with a good talent, such as singing or playing a musical instrument.

Even in our game of CAS, some are rich with good eye sight and good abilities

to shoot well.

Sometimes, being rich isn't necessarily having lots of money or possessing a material item but rather

rich in the absence of 'things' in life, such as bad health issues or enemies.

Its kinda like 'Peace'.   Peace isn't necessarily the absence of conflict or war.

Peace can be found in ones Faith, Hope and Love.

..........Widder

Rich is being out of debt?

Wow. I was rich and didn't know it.

I paid off the mortgage on my last house in 1999, 3 years early. When I bought this house I wrote a check for it. Haven't owed anybody anything for 20 years.

Then Michael came to visit. Now I'm in debt again. But I figure I'll be out by August.

Then once again I will be rich.

I would not mind winning millions in the lottery...;)

I’d like to test that idiotic theory that “lottery winners are worse off after winning than before.” 

The first thing I would do if I won millions in the lotto would be to buy everyone here in the Saloon a drink. No seriously, I’d have Bottles line ‘em right up for everybody.. ;)

I feel rich because I have more money coming in than going out. Always lived like that even when I only made $600 a month.:D

House is paid off, car is paid (34,000 miles on it) I still work part time at 72, but it's easy work and pays well! I've got enough to buy what I want (to a certain limit of course) Life is good, pretty decent health, no complaints there but could I use a couple million bucks?? Hell yea!!:D

I have a friend who always complains he never has enough money. He makes good money, works long hours for it, has no debt, is healthy, never spends frivolously, etc... he is truely better off than probably 95% of the world's population.

He is never happy.

He makes the sad mistake of not living in reality. He is constantly trying to compare what he doesn't have to what people who are billionaires do have.

He will eventually work himself to death, bitter he does not have more, his entire life wasted on the faulty idea of what wealth means to him.

I have always thought i was rich if I could spend $100 a month without having to cut back on a bill.

I grew up what I would consider not wealthy, but rich in what mattered to me. I love pinto beans and it's a good thing because I was able to get to eat them a lot. Sometimes we would have taters in them. I was the youngest of 12 with the next youngest being 10 years older than me. My parents worked hard. It's funny though. I don't remember wanting for anything that I never received. They always found a way. 

I find myself wanting a lot more these days, whether it's a new cowboy gun, or a nanner split everyday from DQ. I heard it a lot growing up, but times are just different now. Enough just isn't enough nowadays.

I have come to realize the more money you have, the more you spend. It's all relative. I'm just thankful most of the truly important things in life are free and can't be bought. 

To me, a rich man is a man who has loved and is loved, has been blessed with a way to make a living, has a good Church and good friends, a place to shoot with a good Ffl, and who has grandkids.  That's wealth to me.

I have a friend who always complains he never has enough money. He makes good money, works long hours for it, has no debt, is healthy, never spends frivolously, etc... he is truely better off than probably 95% of the world's population.

He is never happy.

He makes the sad mistake of not living in reality. He is constantly trying to compare what he doesn't have to what people who are billionaires do have.

He will eventually work himself to death, bitter he does not have more, his entire life wasted on the faulty idea of what wealth means to him.

I know people like this. It’s like they’re in a possession race or something. They cave to peer pressure or a false perception of life. It’s a shame really.

One friend of mine was so tangled up in debt it was amazing. He had a $700,000 home, a $350,000 RV, a new truck, a Harley and 4 or 5 racing dirt bikes and a Quad. He had all the toys a guy could want but he was miserable. I asked him one day how he does it. He said “I don’t know how I am going to pull the next two years off.”

I said “What do you mean?”

He said “I have two years until I can file bankruptcy again.”

I was flabbergasted. I really didn’t know what to say except “You are a real piece of work, man. Here I was feeling sorry for you and you’re nothing more than a $#!&bird.”

We went our separate ways after that. I found out that he and his wife filed bankruptcy every few years to get out from under debt. They manipulated ownership of things so they could each file somehow. Ridiculous. 

Yup.

I worked with 3 different people who all played the bankruptcy game to the hilt. Don't get me started on that as I don't have enough blood pressure medication to thwart my head exploding.

Yup.

I worked with 3 different people who all played the bankruptcy game to the hilt. Don't get me started on that as I don't have enough blood pressure medication to thwart my head exploding.

Maybe rich means having a good bankruptcy lawyer..... :lol:

(just jokin)

..........Widder

What’s really funny is my former friend and I are the same age. If you stood us next to each other now he looks much older than I do. I saw a couple photos of him recently and he looks like stress did a number on him. He deserves it. 

Senator Sanders recently defined rich as $27,000/year. :mellow:

Rich is subjective. Poor would be easier to define... I have a neighbor 'bout three miles away who once talked about getting a loan from the credit union to finance a Makita VSR drill. I know one family living in a 3 bedroom trailer house with 7 kids between them who use rags to plug broken windows and pieces of plywood and throw rugs to cover holes in the floor.

I attend a county seminar every year as part of renewing my restricted pesticide license. I look around that room, and realize I'm sitting in the midst of the "richest" men in the state, men with hundreds or thousands of acres of farm land, and tractors, combines, and semi's valued in the 6-figure range, but their clothes have patches on the elbows and knees, and one even had hog rings holding the soles onto his boots. These people are worth MILLIONS, but in reality they can't justify buying a new pair of Levi's at Walmart. Rich? Poor? Depends on whether you're looking in or out, I guess.

Rich?  If you are an American, today living in the United States of America, you are rich.  As an American, I feel rich. 

Since I'm an American, I laugh a lot at today's politics.

I saw this homeless guy a few days ago.  He has more stuff than my grandparents had on their farm 100 years ago.  And they raised 13 kids, none of whom ever went to jail.

Expectations evolve.

C5B92275-5AC4-4832-9852-BFB67D1BCB34.thumb.jpeg.c5133649f6a2a947c33cd4ecc82dc2c6.jpeg

Lately "rich" and "poor" have been used as labels to promote societal wealth-envy continuing to stir up radical politics. And by lately I mean this started in January, 2009.

Plenty of ways to define rich. Unfortunately too many people use the word monetarily to define what they don't have, can't have or want unobtainably.

I agree with the above sentiment that just living in this country makes us richer individually than most if not all of the rest of the world. We tend to take these blessings for granted today and too many people have lost track of what opportunity, freedom and individual accountibility mean and can do for the individual.

I would not want to live anywhere else in the world. I will never have a bank account like Bill Gates or Warren Buffet do but that's not what is important to me. There are plenty of things much more important than monetary valuation in this world.

In my time I've learned that money has a cost.  Unless you win it or inherit it you're working for it and other things suffer.  I have a sister that was chasing the almighty dollar.  She made good money but would work 14+ hours a day sometimes 6 days a week so she was never home.  Oh sure she had a nice house and new cars, but she wasn't there when her husband was dying, wasn't there with her kids growing up, it was always work, work, work.  Me on the other hand I joined the military, she got mad at me, said I could make more money and have better things as a civilian.  I explained that those things were not what drove me and the cost was too high.  I never regretted my decision, I was a much better Sailor than a civilian, and I was happy.  Today I'm a DV and retired and my sister hasn't spoken to me since 2008.  I guess the price of money just keeps going up.  I'll never be rich in the money sense but I'm happy with the way my life turned out.  I had a calling and followed it, I turned men and women into leaders and I lost men to war and terrorists, but I still hold in my heart that I was in the place I needed to be.

Rich? Like Widder said it's all in the stick you measure with. 

Tequila Chase, you make excellent points.

To wit,  I have several friends who have missed out on a tremendous amount of their family life over the decades because they always claim they "have" to work. They "have" to pick up that overtime...  Any and every excuse to justify more time spent at work and less time with the family for the wrong reasons. Now these guys are all close to 60 years old and they lament that they did not get to see their kids grow up or are missing out on their grand kids' early years. All because they still use the excuse they "have" to work when indeed not a one of them has ever needed the extra money.

You should see their heads spin when I ask them who's going to spend all their money for them when they're gone. :D

Archived