SASS Wire Forum

The Bounty Hunters

Elmore Leonard was amazing.

Every time I find a new Western book I want to read, it turns out that Leonard wrote it. 

I'm knee deep in The Bounty Hunters on Kindle, and every time I put it down, I need to rinse the dust from my mouth with a shot of mescal.  Man, he could write! 

Raylan Givens, Chili Palmer, Hombre, Valdez is Coming, Last Stand at Saber River, 3:10 to Yuma, plus dozens more, all flowed from that fertile mind with a style unmatched.

I need to slow down; I don't want to run out of his books.

LL

He's the best Western writer, far and away, in my opinion.

I think Bounty Hunters was his first novel. The characters show up again in Gunsights, which was his last, or near last, Western novel.

Valdez is Coming is my own favorite Western book.

"Tell  them Valdez is coming."

Kinda how I feel about the Lee Child and Stephen Hunter books.

I'll certainly check out Elmore Leonard. Thanks for the suggestion! I've been needing to discover another western author.

I had devoured Louis L'amour novels. I should catch up with others.

czhen

FL

Elmore Leonard is in a totally different class than L'amour as a writer. Not to knock L'amour; I've read a lot of his books, and one of his non-Westerns, 'Last of the Breed' is favorite read of mine.

L'amour puts a lot of 'philosophizing' into the thoughts of his characters. That is to say, he injects his authorial views, sometimes practically amounting to essays, in the form of the ruminations of his characters, as they ride down the mountain, or escape through the forests, or meander along the trail, or whatever.

But in the real world we are not mind readers. We try to figure out what's going on by what we see, and what we hear. A really good writer like Leonard makes his points through action and dialog only, not by telling us what he thinks. Leonard is very good at that.

I’m reading The Moonshine War by Elmore Leonard and it’s very good. Set during the prohibition in Kentucky. A little different from some of his other work but a page turner none the less.

He's the best Western writer, far and away, in my opinion.

I think Bounty Hunters was his first novel. The characters show up again in Gunsights, which was his last, or near last, Western novel.

Valdez is Coming is my own favorite Western book.

"Tell  them Valdez is coming."

That's a keeper for sure.  Valdez had "something for rabbits" in his shotgun and It became a touch word for some our group for a long time.

Archived