SASS Wire Forum

Car safety glass??

Alpo

Do they just use that laminated safety glass for the windshields?

Just watching a clip of Walking Tall, where Buford is dismembering a Camaro.

He whacks the windshield three or four times with his big stick, and he breaks the glass, but it's all spiderwebbed. It stays together. I expected that.

Then he takes out both door windows - smash smash - completely broken. I also expected that.

Then he hits the rear window, and it breaks just as easily as the side windows did. That I was not expecting. I thought it would react like the windshield.

Should it have reacted like the windshield, and this was just movie? Or is the rear window just glass also?

Rear windows are generally the safety glass -- not laminated glass -- break it and it crumbles just like sideglass.
A fellow medic's wife would gather the crumbled glass and glue the pieces to a glass jar candle and make it pretty and sparkly.

I never realized that's what it was, until Long Tall Roger pointed it out and said what his wife used for ingredients.

The windows are tempered glass. The windshield is safety glass. That’s why you keep a glass punch in your car. So you can get out in an emergency, like in a canal.

UB if I don't have a punch can i use a .38 Special? :D

Situation like that, I'll never find the spring loaded punch.....I'll be able to find the .45 though even if I can't hear for a week.

The windows are tempered glass. The windshield is safety glass. That’s why you keep a glass punch in your car. So you can get out in an emergency, like in a canal.

Don't drive in the canal and it ceases to be an issue.  High and dry is the way to go.

We don't have any of those canals in Wyoming. Maybe, irrigation canals. Doubt one would have to worry about car sinking in one. I carry a tactical pen in my shirt pocket. Some ass bucket shot the back glass out of my Park Avenue, it shattered, found the bullet. I'm guessing the bullet was from a 9mm, could have been 380, 38 spec, 38 super, 357 mag, 357 Sig, or other jacketed bullets that are .356-.357 in diameter. 

UB if I don't have a punch can i use a .38 Special? :D

Yeah but you won’t like it. Even a .380 will make you  regret it. ;)

Is this because of technology?

If I drove the Bronco in the canal, I could just roll the window down and get out. But if I drove the Silverado in the canal the water would fry the electric motor, and I would be SOL.

And I've noticed that for the last umpteen years cars do not have roll down windows anymore. They all have power.

On a side note, I have replaced the motor in the driver's window on the Silverado three times. The passenger window motor currently needs replaced, but since I seldom have a passenger, the hell with it. The Bronco, on the other hand, while 5 years older, still has the original crank mechanism.

Don't drive in the canal and it ceases to be an issue.  High and dry is the way to go.

Been driving for almost 50 years now, over here on the wet side of the country, and have not even come close to driving off into the water.

How often do people do it?

Archived