SASS Wire Forum

Norinco 1897 Recoil Pad

Ripsaw

Looking to replace the butt plate on my Norinco '97 with a good recoil pad. Will likely trim the stock about 1/2-3/4 inch to keep LOP about the same. Any advice on which pad would fit best?  

A grind to fit pad will fit best.  Because 1.  Norinco didn't make the stocks the same size during their production, and 2. When you shorten the stock, the butt tapers and you need a little bit smaller size.

I'd recommend a Kick-Eez sporting clays grind to fit, about 3/4 inch thick, if you want one that lasts and mounts fast and absorbs recoil pretty well.  The other popular brands are Pachmayer and Limbsaver.  I find the LS pads soften when hit by any solvents and stick to stuff - like pads in a safe or fabric of your shirt.

Good luck, GJ

Ordered a Limbsaver medium grind-to-fit.  Thanks. I was not thinking a butt cover, but Null, I like the idea. Thanks for that. 

BTW, Limbsaver has a downloadable pdf of templates that you can print out and use to select the best pad. 

A grind to fit pad will fit best.  Because 1.  Norinco didn't make the stocks the same size during their production, and 2. When you shorten the stock, the butt tapers and you need a little bit smaller size.

I'd recommend a Kick-Eez sporting clays grind to fit, about 3/4 inch thick, if you want one that lasts and mounts fast and absorbs recoil pretty well.  The other popular brands are Pachmayer and Limbsaver.  I find the LS pads soften when hit by any solvents and stick to stuff - like pads in a safe or fabric of your shirt.

Good luck, GJ

I can't comment on the Limbsaver cause I've never used them.

BUT... I do use the Kick-EEZ and really like them.

SIDE NOTE:  Although I like and use the Kick-EEZ, I have to put an angled cut (bevel) at the top edge

to help keep it from snagging on my shirt as it moves up to my shoulder.   This could be me and the

manner which I shoulder my SG.   But I thought it would be worth mentioning if it helps.

..........Widder

Kick-EEZ, I have to put an angled cut (bevel) at the top edge

to help keep it from snagging on my shirt

This model variation from Kick-eez has that angled top (heel) right from the factory!

https://kickeezproducts.com/recoil-pads/sporting-clay-recoil-pad/

It's the model I use on my cowboy and wild bunch shotguns, if I want to take off the hard plastic or steel  factory plate.

Good luck, GJ

Archived