SASS Wire Forum

LEOs how do you carry your Glock?

McCandless

I don't have a Glock, have never fired one...  I am familiar with the Glock Trigger Safety.

Two questions

I'm reading a book, and this NYC uniformed sergeant draws his issue Glock 9mm from his issued holster and has to rack the slide.  I read so much about always carrying with one in the chamber and was wondering if that goes for officers on duty too.

Second, this is a running gun battle and after a while he pulls the magazine and "As he ran, he popped the clip from the gun, peering at it in the dim light.  Empty.  That left him with only two shots in the chamber... thirteen rounds wasted."

Huh?  Does the Glock have a mechanism that allows two rounds to remain in the gun when the magazine is dropped?

In the preface of the book the authors thank a gentleman for his firearms expertise and help with the story...

I don't currently carry a glock (I'm a 1911 guy), but when I did, there was a round in the chamber and my holster completely covered the trigger guard.

The author of that book ain't a gun guy.   

Glocks only hold one round in the chamber and the rest in the magazine, same as nearly every other semi-auto handgun out there. This is just yet another example of journalism "excellence" when it comes to firearms.

BTW the fact that he called it a "clip" and not a magazine should've been the first tip-off. <_<

I don't currently carry a glock (I'm a 1911 guy), but when I did, there was a round in the chamber and my holster completely covered the trigger guard.

The author of that book ain't a gun guy.   

Glocks only hold one round in the chamber and the rest in the magazine, same as nearly every other semi-auto handgun out there. This is just yet another example of journalism "excellence" when it comes to firearms.

BTW the fact that he called it a "clip" and not a magazine should've been the first tip-off. <_<

A Glock was my CCW for years. Always had one, and only one, in the chamber. 

Author was a fool. 

I really hate it when there are obvious errors in a story, takes you right out of what could've been a good read.

It's only in the last few decades that people have gotten really pedantic about this.   I remember seeing ads for guns in the 1960s "comes with two clips" when they meant magazine and everyone knew what they meant and no one got in a twist about it. 

Glocks are best carried with those first two rounds in the chamber and a spare clip full in the magazine well.  Most professionals will rack the slide to make sure that the bad guy knows they mean business - rookies will usually rack the slide because they forget that there are already two rounds in the chamber...

Not mentioned in that book is that most former military guys (mostly the ones that did a bunch of top secret black-ops) will carry their Glocks with the hammer down on a live round and the safety button disengaged to save time - that way all they have to do is draw and pull the trigger. 

I'm not sure how I feel about Glocks that have been converted to fully semiautomatic - I don't know why anyone would need a semiautomatic assault weapon made of plastic.

Waaaay too dangerous for the average citizen !!!

Glocks are best carried with those first two rounds in the chamber and a spare clip full in the magazine well.  Most professionals will rack the slide to make sure that the bad guy knows they mean business - rookies will usually rack the slide because they forget that there are already two rounds in the chamber...

Not mentioned in that book is that most former military guys (mostly the ones that did a bunch of top secret black-ops) will carry their Glocks with the hammer down on a live round and the safety button disengaged to save time - that way all they have to do is draw and pull the trigger. 

I'm not sure how I feel about Glocks that have been converted to fully semiautomatic - I don't know why anyone would need a semiautomatic assault weapon made of plastic.

Don't forget that a true professional also knows to thumb-cock his Glock and click the safety off on top of racking the slide. I know that for a fact because I saw it on TV once. :ph34r:

NYPD Glocks have heavy trigger pull too..

Once I bought a NY trigger spring and installed it in my G19. At first I was happy because it made the trigger feel more like a DA revolver. Then I took it to the range, found my groups had opened up considerably, and immediately took that sucker out the moment I got home. Knowing the amount of firearms training of the average NYPD cop, and having felt that atrocious trigger I'm not surprised at all by the stories of wild shots hitting innocent civilians. Giving somebody a gun with a heavy trigger pull to make up for a lack of proper training is a bad idea all around.

Competion Glocks get 3.5 lb triggers   Stock is 5 and the NY trigger is 8      GW

DOL!  :lol:

The best comparison I've seen to carrying a semi-automatic handgun with an empty chamber is waiting until you are involved in a car accident before  putting a seat belt on.

The black Glocks are safer than the non-black Glocks. I don’t understand people changing the colors of their Glocks when leaving them black is so much safer. :P

I think I'd be asking for my money back on that book.  Is that called Fictionalized fiction?

Are these the Glocks that make the four click sound when you cock the hammer? I see these on T.V. all the time.

Are these the Glocks that make the four click sound when you cock the hammer? I see these on T.V. all the time.

You don’t even cock it. You just point it at somebody and it goes click clickety click. :D

This right here has the ability with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Thirty, magazine, clip, in half a second,”

EXACTLY

The good thing about the 'four-click' Glocks is that you can shoot 8mm Black Talon hollow point bullets in them - by shooting 8mm bullets it allows you to fit an extra bullet in the factory 10 round magazine...

...fools the shit out of bad guys during a gun fight

Bad Guy counting shots during a gun fight:  7-8-9-10 - the good guy is out of bullets time to make my move

Good Guy Shooting 8mm Bullets in his 4-Click Glock:  7-8-9-10...........  11   HAHA bad guy - 8mm bullets in a factory mag makes room for a spare bullet YOU LOSE

Most professionals will rack the slide to make sure that the bad guy knows they mean business

And the more often they rack the gun before the first shot the more serious they are!!! (Also seen in couple of movies, usually with shotguns)

The black Glocks are safer than the non-black Glocks. I don’t understand people changing the colors of their Glocks when leaving them black is so much safer. :P

I stick with the black Glocks because the bayonet mounts come black from the factory and I want it to make it less obvious.

I can think of too many occasions where your non dominant or off hand can be doing, needs to be doing something other than racking the slide on an empty chamber Glock to make that practice workable at the moment you need a handgun for self defense.

Always carry chambered. Always carry in a holster that allows for total trigger guard coverage. Always keep your finger off the trigger until you're gun is on target and you're ready to shoot. Always reholster slowly and deliberately to avoid doing something stupid and dangerous while putting your gun away.

Black Glocks Matter!

Ive read a fw books lately where the FBI agent carries her Glock in the glove box and when she was going to search a house for the suspect she got her glock out of the glove box and chambered a round.!!!! Don't writers do any research??? I never carried a Glock, but Iv ecarried my combat commander a lot over the last 30 years and the only time it doesn't have a roundin the chamber is when the slide locks back on the range or when Im cleaning it.

But everyone knows black guns are E-V-I-L!!!!

Never cared for Glocks, never carried one.  I was and probably still, a dinosaur .  I carried a 1911, round in the chamber, cocked and locked.  Never had a AD, used the best holster that was made at the time.  Movies and television are fiction and more often than not wrongly depict how all guns are handled.  I can tell you that when it hits the fan you may not have time to cycle a slide.....

When I first started 30 years ago, I was issued a model 15 combat masterpiece. Then we went to the beretta 92f and now I carry an M&P. With the Beretta I had to thumb the saftey before firing, the M&P dosen't have a safety. All law enforcement carries with a round in the chamber. 

I drives me CRAZY every time I see Hollywood showing someone drawing from their holster and then racking a round into the chamber.

this is a running gun battle and after a while he pulls the magazine and "As he ran, he popped the clip from the gun, peering at it in the dim light.  Empty.  That left him with only two shots in the chamber... thirteen rounds wasted."

Huh?  

In the preface of the book the authors thank a gentleman for his firearms expertise and help with the story...

I know this was dorky as I read it... I'm going to have to go back to the Acknowledgements and see who the "firearms expert" was that helped the authors with the details of this book.  

I love the tv shows set in "modern day" where each shot of a revolver results in the tinkle of brass hitting the floor... 

Archived