SASS Wire Forum

Postponed to July 3rd - 2020 Iowa State Championship

Cactus Clark

The SASS Iowa State Championship will be held Memorial Weekend May 22 - 24 2020 at Coyote Gulch.  We are looking forward to hosting a great shoot again this year.  If you've attended before please come back and if you haven't joined us before please come join us.  It certain to be a great weekend of shooting and comradery.  This year we also have a special treat as our state shoot will also be the site for the 2020 Classic Cowboy Showdown; as Major Art Tillery said " you should be there!  Unless.... YOUR SCARED!?"

Click here for the Iowa State Championship registration and 2020 Classic Cowboy Showdown sign up

Bump to The Top.

Folks come on and sign up and give this shoot a try!  My first time going and I plan to have a great time.  Oh and if you wanna be extra awesome sign up for the Classic Cowboy Showdown... I TRIPLE DOG DARE YA!

The range is located on US hwy65. It is about 5 to 7 miles south of Indianola,Iowa. The operating engineers training facility is on the east side of the road. Look for a bright yellow house on the right side of the road when you are going south. Their drive takes you back to the range 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't find a schedule of activities. Assuming the main match is Saturday and Sunday. Guessing side matches on Friday, any warmup stages on Friday? What are the starting times each day? Just trying to plan the trip and the more available information the easier it makes the planning.

Scout

15 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

I can't find a schedule of activities. Assuming the main match is Saturday and Sunday. Guessing side matches on Friday, any warmup stages on Friday? What are the starting times each day? Just trying to plan the trip and the more available information the easier it makes the planning.

Scout

I agree with Scout, if you all happen to have a list.. Times...ect. for the match it would be great!  I would love to share it with several Classic shooters attending.  Some are headed up all the way from Oklahoma and Texas and sure need time for planning.  Thanks for any info.

I'll see what I can find out. I know in the past:  main match on Saturday & Sunday start time at 0930. Friday seems to me started about the same time with Wild bunch & speed side matches. Afternoon warm up stages 3 or 4 of them & after that continue speed stuff. 

Fort Des Moines Rangers are going to have an indoor shoot next Saturday, I'll bug 'em for more info. 

3 hours ago, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

I'll see what I can find out. I know in the past:  main match on Saturday & Sunday start time at 0930. Friday seems to me started about the same time with Wild bunch & speed side matches. Afternoon warm up stages 3 or 4 of them & after that continue speed stuff. 

Fort Des Moines Rangers are going to have an indoor shoot next Saturday, I'll bug 'em for more info. 

Thanks, what ever you can find out would be most helpful.

On 1/31/2020 at 4:47 PM, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Scout

Cowtown Scout, Major Art Tillery and everyone else.......

We are still working out some of the minor details for the official scheduled, but here is what I can share at a high level:

• Friday will be open for registrations, side matches, and warm ups.  The details of the side matches and warm ups are what I need to get nailed down with the club
  • Saturday we will have 6 Main match stages , a Team Match,  lunch will be on the range, and dinner will be offsite
  • Sunday we will have the last 6 Main match stages and the awards ceremony 

I will post all times and details once I get those nailed down with the Club officers.

My apologies for not having all this ready and posted for you all.  I will work to get it here and on our website as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Cactus

22 minutes ago, Cactus Clark said:

Cowtown Scout, Major Art Tillery and everyone else.......

We are still working out some of the minor details for the official scheduled, but here is what I can share at a high level:

• Friday will be open for registrations, side matches, and warm ups.  The details of the side matches and warm ups are what I need to get nailed down with the club
  • Saturday we will have 6 Main match stages , a Team Match,  lunch will be on the range, and dinner will be offsite
  • Sunday we will have the last 6 Main match stages and the awards ceremony 

I will post all times and details once I get those nailed down with the Club officers.

My apologies for not having all this ready and posted for you all.  I will work to get it here and on our website as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Cactus

Thank You for that information! We look forward to further details as they are worked out.

Scout

• 2 months later...

All,

In light of all the health and safety concerns surrounding us all we have decided to postpone the Iowa State Shoot to July 3rd to 5th.  We are planning for a great shoot and will certainly have the range ready for you all to get back to the game we all love.  In the mean time please stay safe.  Hope to see you all soon.

Cactus Clark

• Cactus Clark changed the title to Postponed to July 3rd - 2020 Iowa State Championship

I'm sure your all aware, but just in case.  The Classic Cowboy Showdown is just not going to work for the organizers over the weekend of July 3rd to 5th.  That too bad, I was looking forward to watching all these Classic's go at it.  Hopefully we can join forces next year....Thanks Major Art Tillery for all the work on this and good luck pulling this off with all the virus crap we are working around this year...

Stay safe and hope to see you all on the range sometime soon

Cactus

Didn't the Iowa State Championship used to be with the Turkey Foot Cowboys?  I grew up in Iowa, so when I got home from Iraq in 2004, I went on terminal leave and traveled around the country going to state matches.  I shot the Iowa State Championship.  It was a great bunch of pards.  

1 hour ago, Cactus Clark said:

I'm sure your all aware, but just in case.  The Classic Cowboy Showdown is just not going to work for the organizers over the weekend of July 3rd to 5th.  That too bad, I was looking forward to watching all these Classic's go at it.  Hopefully we can join forces next year....Thanks Major Art Tillery for all the work on this and good luck pulling this off with all the virus crap we are working around this year...

Stay safe and hope to see you all on the range sometime soon

Cactus

I was just going to let folks know about that...  Thank you for updating them.  I am truely saddened that I had to make this choice.... I was really looking forward to bringing the Showdown to Iowa and shooting with you folks.  I am really hoping next year we can make it work!  Take care everyone... These are crazy times in our country right now.

6 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Didn't the Iowa State Championship used to be with the Turkey Foot Cowboys?  I grew up in Iowa, so when I got home from Iraq in 2004, I went on terminal leave and traveled around the country going to state matches.  I shot the Iowa State Championship.  It was a great bunch of pards.  

Yes. Turkeyfoot Cowboys still have a 3 day shoot in early August. 

• 1 month later...

Archived