SASS Wire Forum

Luger safety

I have a 1914 stamped Luger that was my grandfathers and would like to shoot it a little but I am unsure about how the safety operates. The lever on the upper left side has two positions with the upper being stamped Gesichert meaning safe - but is it safe when in the upper position and that is covered or in the lower position when you can read it?

Push the lever up to fire.   If you look at the left side, with the safety in the down position there is a little bar that moves up into the toggle area.

Also some Lugers require you use 124 gr 9mm weight bullets to be reliable and even with that weight it prefers factory ammo that is a little hotter to run well.  Think 9mm NATO pressures versus the slightly less powerful 9mm American pressures

I read, many many years ago, that US 9mm was extremely wimpy compared to European 9mm. That this was the reason Lugers had such a reputation for jamming. They were designed to run with that hot European stuff, and the wimpy US stuff would not work the action.

I believed that. I mean, why would Guns & Ammo (or maybe it was Shooting Times) lie about something like that.

Then, about 15 years ago, I got a Russian capture Luger. Works fine with 115 grain Winchester White Box.

I think I was fibbed to, all those many many years ago.

Thanks for the info guys. I shot the luger once or twice when my dad had it but didn't pay attention to the ammo we were using.  I shot it pretty well but dad was completely frustrated with the lack of accuracy he was getting. 

Never use any foreign milsurp 9mm ammo. I found that out the hard way once.

A lifetime ago I qualified with a Luger that my father brought back from WWII it was and is accurate and dependable with factory hardball. I did it to pull my chiefs chain I never carried it but I did carry a Erma baby Luger in .380 off duty a few times 

I have a 1914 stamped Luger that was my grandfathers and would like to shoot it a little but I am unsure about how the safety operates. The lever on the upper left side has two positions with the upper being stamped Gesichert meaning safe - but is it safe when in the upper position and that is covered or in the lower position when you can read it?

Manual on the Luger

http://www.mauser.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/P-08_Luger_Manual.pdf

Last weekend we used a Broomhandle Mauser and P-08 Luger for a side match.  Blazer cheap stuff worked great.  The Mauser did have two failure to feeds but crap its a 129 years old.  They both put them were the sights were pointed most of us liked the Mauser for looks and the Luger for shooting.  I had the wrong stripper clips for the Mauser so it was hard to load.  Both were accurate.  

Thanks for the info guys. I shot the luger once or twice when my dad had it but didn't pay attention to the ammo we were using.  I shot it pretty well but dad was completely frustrated with the lack of accuracy he was getting. 

Lugers are supposed to be inherently very accurate, but I can't tell with mine because the trigger pull is about 16# and the sights are abysmal.

Always wanted a P-38.  Already have a P-08 and an 1896 Mauser in the safe.

Alpo

Idk if count, but I like the MP-40 you posted. But, another 200 bucks on tax stamp for an additional removable butt stock is outrageous.  

Otherwise, I would have already.

czhen

FL

Archived