SASS Wire Forum

Three Cylinder Steam Locomotives

Sedalia Dave

Never knew they existed until recently.

Three Cylinder Steam Locomotives

They were made in some very interesting configurations.

Southern Pacific 4-10-2 Number 5021

image.thumb.png.47dbe3be3ba62c8a25ae06adb06edc75.png

Union Pacific 4-12-2 Number 9000

Recording of the unique sound that a 3 cylinder locomotive made

image.png.dffd7d1a524e936c6572568f95c82b55.png

Alton & Southern 0-8-0 Number 12

image.png.c4649158102aff4319a61810fb5e273e.png

I have never understood why all of the recordings of old steam locomotives the engineer is ringing that $&@%ing bell the whole time the thing is being recorded. 

Same goes for more modern examples of trolleys and locomotives at train museums. 

Enough griping. 

Thank you Sedalia Dave :)

I have never understood why all of the recordings of old steam locomotives the engineer is ringing that $&@%ing bell the whole time the thing is being recorded. 

Same goes for more modern examples of trolleys and locomotives at train museums. 

Enough griping. 

Thank you Sedalia Dave :)

FRA rules mandate the use of the bell during certain movements. Under the right conditions it's pretty amazing how quietly a locomotive can move.

FRA rules mandate the use of the bell during certain movements. Under the right conditions it's pretty amazing how quietly a locomotive can move.

I know all about FRA rules. I lived the life...;)

... Under the right conditions it's pretty amazing how quietly a locomotive can move.

Pat, you are absolutely correct!

My best friend and brother lawman Bob Beymer (rest his soul) described this very thing!

He was going to Ohio State University and was rooming with a railfan.

They were out on the foggy night with Losley's scanner and waiting for the Freedom Train to come rolling in, and were about to give up for the night:  they climbed back in the car, griping and belly aching and planning which restaurant to raid (the military marches on its stomach and so do college men!) and the scanner stopped and said "Hold the freight, the Freedom Train is coming in."

He described their exit from that sad old rusted out four door sedan somewhat akin to circus clowns bailing out of a center-ring vehicle.

They ran the hundred feet to their position at the grade crossing, looking, peering into the fog, listening ...

A light pushed weakly through the fog, then grew stronger; the night breeze eddied, washed aside the intervening fog, and there she was ... under steam, coasting in, dead silent, almost like a ghost.

These are not my words.

This is as near verbatim as I can recall Brother Beymer saying it.

Archived