SASS Wire Forum

Grill Rescue, I hope I haven't been had!

Clay Mosby

A few months ago I saw an ad for a non-metal grill cleaning brush from a startup company called Grill Rescue. The idea was a wet temp resistant pad that you got wet and basically deglazed the grill with steam as you scrubbed. No more wire brushes that could possibly cause injury from bits breaking off and getting into food the next time you used the grill. Now I had been using a homemade version of this for years, but mine was a heavy duty steel scrubbie dunked in a bowl of water and held in some tongs.

After seeing the ads a few times and checking out their webpage in mid-October I decided to order one, expecting since it was a startup it might be 3-4 weeks before I saw it. Well, 3 weeks went by and I contacted them for an update and was told shipments would be the end of November. Ok, they must've gotten a lot of pre-orders. So I contacted them a couple days ago for an update.

"Well," they wrote back, "you ordered Oct 13th, therefore we estimate sometime in mid-January before we begin shipping those orders."  What the heck? They are telling me they got so many orders they have a 3 month backlog?

Better be a damn good product to have to spend that much and wait this long to get!!

I just get suspicious when everytime a deadline is reached the goalposts get moved further out.

If this was one of those kick starter deals they take a long time to get up to shipping. I usually forget I even ordered em by the time they show up.

Why are you cleaning your grill? Burgers/Steaks/Chicken taste so much better if you never clean it.

No really, why would a person ever clean their grill?

I'm kidding, I clean mine with aluminum foil after heating it up for a few minutes.

If this was one of those kick starter deals they take a long time to get up to shipping. I usually forget I even ordered em by the time they show up.

I wouldn't mind the wait if I knew that up front. They could've told me that.  It's the constantly moving date that has me a bit concerned.

I use a scrunched up piece of aluminum foil and a water spray bottle. Heat up grill spray water on grates and hold aluminum foil with long grill tongs and scrub it off. I save lightly used pieces of foil for this purpose.

Howdy,

The website says pre sale. 

NO deliver date. 

I saw something like this way last spring.....

I didn't get around to buying....yet.....

If you bought one, ask for money back, see what happens.

Best

CR

I wouldn't mind the wait if I knew that up front. They could've told me that.  It's the constantly moving date that has me a bit concerned.

Start-ups almost always take a lot longer than expected.  They may not know just when they will be able to start shipping.  A brew pub near work that had initially boasted an opening date "Early Spring 2019" just opened up about a month ago.

I use one of these. No metal bristles.

44F841C2-805D-45C6-B630-01E53E476F6C.jpeg

I use one of those too.

One possibility is that the founder didn't know if there was a market or not.  So he advertised and once hit the minimum number of items for the order can get them made.  If he didn't hit that, send back the money.

Archived