SASS Wire Forum

Do you know how old your dog is?

Alpo

I will be out walking Worthless, and people that stop to pet her (she requires that everyone she sees stop to pet her) frequently ask her age. And I have to think about it.

She was given to me in June of 14. They told me she was two - but I believe they lied. I had told them that I was looking for a small dog. Big Brown Dog weighed 80 pounds when she died, and I had a heck of a time getting her out of the house. if I had not had a wheelbarrow available I would have had to bury her in the front yard. As I get older I do not get stronger, so I wanted a smaller/lighter dog. They weighed her at the vet, and she weighed 44 pounds. A year later she weighed 83. It seemed unlikely to me that a 2 year old dog would double in size between 2 and 3. 

I therefore think she was a year or less old. Having had her for 5 years now, I figger she is six. But that's just a guess.

But then, I have to count from their date of birth to figure out how old my daughter or my granddaughters are.

Do you KNOW how old you pet/kids/spouse is, or do you have to think about it?

Yep.  The dog we inherited came with papers.  Born in Dec. of '08.

I know when my daughter was born. But if (for some strange reason) someone were to ask me how old she was, I would have to count.

Hmmm, lemme see now, January of ____ (I do know better than to mention the year a woman was born), so that's ____ years ago, so she's ___ now and will be ___ the end of next month.

But I don't KNOW how old she is. I have to count it. Grandchildren are the same way. February of 3, and it's 19 now, so that's 16. Be 17 in 2 months. Then three years after the first one, so that was 6. 19 now so that's 13, but she was December so ain't 13 quite yet. Two more weeks.

Not really.

He's a stray that wandered up as a puppy that was starving and some... person (since this is a family forum) has put a cat collar on him.  I cut the collar off of him with my pocket knife and he ended up trying to crawl into the coffee can I use to scoop dry food out of the bag when I tried to feed him.  Since he was a pup, I can guessimate his age.

The same with his slightly older predecessor who died about a year ago.  HE wandered up as a pup the day of my Mom's funeral with a piece of electrical wire grown into his neck that some... person was using as a tie out.

Katie will be 13 in January.  I don't believe that 1 human year equals 7 years to a dog stuff.  That would make her 91.  I don't see many 91 year old people running and jumping like she does.

IMG_7578.JPG

Depends on the breed a lot. A larger dog will frequently have serious joint problems at that age and won’t be very active.

Depends on the breed a lot. A larger dog will frequently have serious joint problems at that age and won’t be very active.

Dachshunds are known for back problems.  She's had a spell or two where she couldn't do much of anything for a few days.

We have a red heeler and a blue heeler.  Its a little chaotic, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  Dixie Mae will be 4 years old on Dec. 9th.  Paladin will be 4 on Jan 17th 2020.  I found Paladin shortly after my Previous Blue Heeler passed away and have had pics of him since he was 3 days old.  Dixie we adopted at 5 months old, but we have all her paperwork so we know her birthday. 

My German Shepherd is 11 years old, and I know this because he is a retired US Army Military Working Dog (i.e. K9 for the Military Police).  His specialty was drug sniffing.  We have all his paperwork, including a passport issued by the government of Germany, where he was born.  

I know when my daughter was born. But if (for some strange reason) someone were to ask me how old she was, I would have to count.

Hmmm, lemme see now, January of ____ (I do know better than to mention the year a woman was born), so that's ____ years ago, so she's ___ now and will be ___ the end of next month.

But I don't KNOW how old she is. I have to count it. Grandchildren are the same way. February of 3, and it's 19 now, so that's 16. Be 17 in 2 months. Then three years after the first one, so that was 6. 19 now so that's 13, but she was December so ain't 13 quite yet. Two more weeks.

Well,  I've been saying ten and a  half for a few months,  going to have to start saying eleven. 

Abby the Labby is 15. Not so active now, a walk to the mailbox three houses down is about it. She sleeps alot, but when she hears the pantry door or a food wrapper, she snaps out of it right quick. It will be a sad day when she passes, she's such a sweet dog.

I was told when I rescued Buster, my Dorkie  (half Doxie, half Yorkie) that they thought he might be 7 years old. His vet said he was probably only 5 years old. He runs and plays like a young puppy, so I went with the vets age guess. I've had him for about 5 and a half years now so I tell everyone who asks his age that he is 10.5 years old. He still runs and plays like a young puppy. 

We don't know how old the dog is.  The rescue agency we adopted her from didn't have a birth date on her, only a guess from a vet.  We believe she is in the neighborhood of 14 now.  The agency we adopted the cat from has her birth date so we can look that up.  She is a little over 3.

Archived