SASS Wire Forum

Would you name your daughter after your grandmother?

Alpo

My grandmothers - my mother's mother's name was Clarabelle. My father's mother was John. The things people named their children 120 years ago.

My mother was Shirley, my wife's mother was Betty (not Elizabeth - Betty). Fairly normal names. If my daughter had elected to name her children after her grandmothers, they probably would not have been picked on every day in school.

Negative Ghostrider.

Our choices were, Nina, Earlene, Ora, or Inez. 

We went with Megan.

Not that we find anything wrong with any of those names; we just wanted something more modern.

Clara or Belle would be just fine.  Shirley & Betty are normal, just not as popular today.   As for a woman named John:  My grandsons' grandmothers are named Bobbie and Glenn.  The firstborn daughter in each household of our family (mama's side) has Marie as a middle name.  It even extended to one set of inlaws.  Nothing wrong with honoring past generations.

I'm fine with honoring past generations.

Grandma (John) - her mother was named Helen (generation 1). Her big sister (generation 2) was Helen. Her oldest daughter (Daddy's big sister, generation 3) was Helen. Daddy's little sister and daddy's little brother both named their oldest kid Helen (generation 4). My brother's daughter is Helen (generation 5).

My daughter absolutely refused to name either of her girls Helen. I told her she had to. Would be the sixth generation of Helens. She could NOT break the chain.

She basically told me

Raspberry 2.jpg

My Grandmothers were Mabel and Ocie. I am pretty sure they wouldn’t have wanted me to name my daughter after either one of them. 

We named our daughter Nicole...after no one. 
You should have heard the family names my mother-in-law came up with. “Arvada”, “Oliveda” were two that sent shivers up my spine...

My sister was named after my father's mother.  My daughter was named in a contest I held for my company when I was a CO in the Army.  Two of my men won (one  was picked Angela and the other was Rae:  Angela Rae) and I had to buy a second Series E savings bond.

It was worth it.

I did.  My great grandmother's name on my mother's side of the family was Delilah.  She went by the contraction "Lila".  She named my grandmother "Elsie Lila".  And I named my daughter "Lila".  

Similarly, my son is named "Robert" after two uncles, one on my mother's side and one on my dad's.  

I did  - sort of.  Grandmother on Father's side was Brigette Johanna Johansdoter Lilsunde - We chose Katherine (Katrinka) Brigette.  Grandfather on Father's side was Kaarle Kuste Antipoika Rovia - American immigration changed this to Charles Gustav Anderson - We named first son Karl Erick Anderson.  Second son got off with Kirk Frederick Anderson (new name introduced into the family).  Grand kids all have Anglo-Irish  or Biblical names.  I am hoping great grand kids will return to Nordic names lest we lose our ethnic identity - years ago it was popular to blend - I rather like the mosaic approach.  JMHO

STL Suomi

I was named after my grandfather as was my father, it's a tradition that goes back at least 4 generations that I know of. My sister was named after my paternal grandmother, Maria ( My mother insisted it be "Americanized" to Mary) I was supposed to be Antonio, too Italian my mother said and it became Anthony.

My father's name was Severio, named after his grandfather. When my son was born I had to name him after my father. We named him Sam, because my father after coming to America when he was 10, he somehow became Sam. My second son was named after my father in law, Frank.

We named our youngest "Lydia" after a great grandmother.

My grandparents were planning on naming my father as "William Paxton" after family names.
They were reminded his nickname would no doubt be shortened to "Willie Pee" so they abandoned that choice.

My Mother's mother.....Alpha.

My Fathers mother.....Daisy Arminta

My daughter.....Mary (after her mother).

Hazel. Nope

My daughter actually likes that name. After she graduated high school she apparently was helping friends clean their houses, and they said that she clean so well she could be a professional maid. Like Hazel.

And she kinda latched onto that.  Joined as Hazel Honeybee.

Kids will get picked on no matter what their name is. :( :angry: :( :angry:

I only got picked on by my sister. Until I got bigger than her. :D

I had all boys, but if I had had a daughter, naming her after a grandmother would have been a fine choice.  My grandmothers were Charlotte and Virginia.  My great-grandmothers were Elizabeth (the only one I knew), Dena, Harriet "Hattie", and Julia Ann.  My sister was actually named after Julia Ann.  

I've been an amateur genealogist for about a decade.  I've noticed a trend in bygone eras where people passed down the mother's maiden name as middle names.  It's sort of akin to having a "junior" on the male side.  That's how my grandfather and his father got strange first names.  My great-great grandmother was Jessie Burr.  His other grandmother's maiden name was Knight.  So my great-grandfather was named Burr Knight [my real last name].  He named his son, my grandfather, as junior.  

My entire life I had no idea why anyone would name their son "Burr."  We used to joke that he must have been cold all the time.  As it turns out, the family was just honoring the women in our family tree.  

And, yes, my great--great grandmother Burr was, in fact, a cousin of the infamous Aaron Burr.  

A friend's wife had two sisters, Novel and Uvon.  She named her daughter Novel Uvon Smith.  The Diaper Derby editor in the local paper, understandably puzzled, wrote her up as "Girl, Smith, Norville Uzon."  They called the kid Tammy.

• 2 weeks later...

My great grandmother's name was Mary Ella. My grandmother's name was Adelta Virginia. My mother was Norma Lee. My oldest daughter was named Mary Virginialea and my youngest is Patricia Leigh. Lee is an old family name, probably because my GGGranddaddy served under Robert E Lee. :)  I did change the spelling a mite. My son is named Clifford after my granddaddy.

My middle name is my mother's maiden name, Winslow. But I was not going to name my daughter Ethel nor Ida Mae, my grandmothers' names. My father was a Junior, and hated it. Always said everyone deserved their own name. Made sense to me.

Archived