SASS Wire Forum

SxS Shotgun Purchase advice?

Johnny Prince

Heading in the Classic Cowboy direction for my setup and want to have a solid SxS to go along.  I prefer to just get a long term gun and not a starter so cost is not the primary factor.

I am considering a Taylor and Company CZ coach gun;

https://dahlonegaarmory.com/product/taylors-and-company-600102-hammer-coach-double-barrel-side-by-side-12-gauge-20-3-walnut-stk-color-case-hardened-frame-blued-barrel

I had originally wanted a Cimarron but found they are not going to have any for over a year.

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1878-coach-gun-12-ga-20-barrel-standard-blue.html

I seem to be able to find 26 inch models for  under $500.  So considering that too.

any thoughts from the experts?  

Howdy Johnny Prince,

If cost is not the primary factor, look at sxs shotguns for sale by all the popular cowboy gunsmiths.  

You can find a variety of "match ready" brands that are already "tuned up."  

That's what I would do if I was looking for another shotgun and cost was not the primary factor.  Good luck.  

Of course, having only one or two shotguns is never enough!  :lol:

All the best,

Slow Mo Dern

If you are looking at Stoegers, there is the standard and the premium model.

The standard model has plain stock wood and no interchangeable chokes.
The premium model is $100 extra for better wood, interchangeable chokes, and a better butt pad.

Mine is the premium model.
I am discarding the butt pad in favor of a Kick-EEZ.
I will also be cutting down my premium stock a bit for a better fit and negative butt angle.

Stoeger offers 3 types of finish:  Blued, Nickel (plated) and Stainless (plated).
I chose the Blue, even though I much prefer a solid stainless design.
Stoeger support told me their stainless is plated, and a solid stainless design is not possible at that price point.

If the barrel bead ever needs to be re-soldered, this repair will leave much more visible damage on the nickel plate finish.
The blued finish can be cold-blued and not nearly as obvious.

The wood stocks of all the regulars at my shoots are no longer "show room pretty."
 I did buy a set of stainless firing pins and the corresponding wrench to install them.
The standard stock has a 7/8 x 6" hole for the mounting bolt, which can be filled with lead shot or a dead mule.

At the two local clubs I frequent the main hammer double guns are the CZ and the TTN.  The Huglu as far as I know is made by the same Turkish company that also produces the CZ hammer SxS. 

A lot of guys will recommend the TTN 1878 over the CZ because it has tall hammer ears that are set close together and are supposedly easier to cock quickly. 

Before going into Frontiersman I was going the Classic route and used a CZ that had been slicked up by Goatneck.  I liked the CZ a lot and found the quality to be consistently better than the TTNs.  The smaller hammers on the CZ never bothered me.  I am not sure if there are good years or bad runs on those TTNs but some look and feel great others are poorly fitted and rough. 

Either way I would recommend trying both in person if at all possible.  The TTN 78 has an odd drop in the stock that feels weird to many shooters.  I also find that the TTN has a lot of room between the trigger guard and tip of the triggers and sort of pinches my fingers.  YMMV.

My understanding, Cimarron also has a "new" 1878 Deluxe on offer, I'm not familiar with it, no comment.

You may wish to look into the Hammer Double '78 look-a-like from EMF (Pietta made), not familiar with it, no comment.

Or, if you have deep pockets, the top dog is the Pedersoli "Wyatt Earp" which is my personal Favorite.  Not cheap though.  Best made hammer double out there bar none.  Will need a little work on the Main Springs.

If you are looking at Stoegers, there is the standard and the premium model.

The standard model has plain stock wood and no interchangeable chokes.
The premium model is $100 extra for better wood, interchangeable chokes, and a better butt pad.

Mine is the premium model.
I am discarding the butt pad in favor of a Kick-EEZ.
I will also be cutting down my premium stock a bit for a better fit and negative butt angle.

Stoeger offers 3 types of finish:  Blued, Nickel (plated) and Stainless (plated).
I chose the Blue, even though I much prefer a solid stainless design.
Stoeger support told me their stainless is plated, and a solid stainless design is not possible at that price point.

If the barrel bead ever needs to be re-soldered, this repair will leave much more visible damage on the nickel plate finish.
The blued finish can be cold-blued and not nearly as obvious.

The wood stocks of all the regulars at my shoots are no longer "show room pretty."
 I did buy a set of stainless firing pins and the corresponding wrench to install them.
The standard stock has a 7/8 x 6" hole for the mounting bolt, which can be filled with lead shot or a dead mule.

Except none of those guns you mention are legal for Classic Cowboy like the original poster asked about. 

My experience has been with TTNs.  The hammers are close enough that you should be able to cock them with one hand.  I also have a Pedersoli "Doc Holliday", it is a beautiful shotgun but the hammers are spread apart.  I cock these one at a time.

A thought - make sure that the hammered shotgun that you choose is a true external hammered gun.  There are some that have fake external hammers.  They have the look but would not be legal for Classic.

Good luck in your search,

BS

Except none of those guns you mention are legal for Classic Cowboy like the original poster asked about. 

True, that.
Thanks for pointing that out.

However, anybody looking at Stoegers for whatever reason, can take away some of the experience I had to dig out.

I too have been setting up to try my hand at Classic Cowboy. While I was on the hunt for a hammered coach gun, I found a TOZ 66 (Russian Tula built) external hammered coach gun. It's modeled of the 1878, has true external hammers and is built like a tank. It is stout, but it's much lighter and handier than the Cimarron. I got a deal on this gun as it was in the "used" rack (these were manufactured from 1966-73), but if you can find one (Gunbroker?), I would highly recommend adding one to your cache. The cylinders will need to be honed and polished and the hammer springs feel like they came from a T-34 tank, so need to be lightened for CAS. I honed and polished the chambers and had the springs lightened by a local smith. I'm faster with this 'Street Howitzer' than I am with my Stoeger. Oh, and since the furniture is varnished birch, I refinished all the wood in a walnut oiled finish and I'm pretty pleased with the looks too. I'm all in on this piece much less than I would have spent on a Cimarron or or CZ and could not be happier.

TOZ 66.jpg

I went with a New In the box Russian Bakal Hammer SXS I found old stock at a gun store .

Built like a tank .

I dont think I could ware it out !

I shoot CC. I had a Cimarron SxS briefly. Their quality is hit or miss. I worked for hours trying to clean the grease out of the bores only to discover it wasn’t grease. It was a poorly formed bore. 

I ponied up the cash for CZ hammer coach and the bores are perfect. The gun looks perfect. The only thing is how heavy the springs are. That can be fixed. I recommend it to anyone. It’s a buy once cry once investment. 

Get an AyA 10 gauge 3-1/2" double.

I wish that I still had my TTN. If you can find one snap it up. It is solid and handled my bp loads great. Almost no recoil when I accidentally shot off some smokeless rounds. I had no difficulties cocking the hammers with one hand.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Sgt Hochbauer

I saw a hammered double at a Sportsmans Warehouse recently. The price was just under $750 and doesn't appear in their shotgun listings online. I didn't see any country markings, but think it had a Texas marking on it. Any idea who produced or imported? It was blued with a checkered walnut stock. It looked trimmer than the chunky TTN chinese version and seemed lighter than that model. 

I shoot a CZ hammered coach gun in C. Cowboy and Frontiersman and I like it very much. My wife just purchased a Cimarron hammered coach gun from Sportsman’s warehouse for under 700 bucks. Made in Pakistan. The hammers are very close together and easy to cock and the wrist is pretty thin. Seems a good choice for someone with small hands.

Archived