SASS Wire Forum

Just another day Down Under

Sedalia Dave

Just another day in Australia...catching the local dinosaur who’s been eating the cattle and moving him on to somewhere else. :o

https://www.facebook.com/MeanwhileInAustralia/posts/just-another-day-in-australiacatching-the-local-dinosaur-whos-been-eating-the-ca/3498444680228113/

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, outdoor

I don't think an elephant gun would do much more than piss it off.

Who cares about weight? The question should be, "How many pairs of cowboy boots can you get out of him?"

5.....but the cowboys are still wearing them.

My God, that's a monster croc. Was Paul Hogan involved?

I am pretty sure if my cattle were vanishing and I saw that big sonofabastage in my field I do believe I would have to re-evaluate the contents of my gun safe. 

The comments of the bunny croc huggers are so snowflaky. They watch too many a Disney movies.

I cant get onto FB at work but I have seen the photo.

The biggest croc claimed is 8.6m shot by a lady in the NT in 1957 (the black and white photo).  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7492839/The-biggest-crocodile-caught-Australia-shot-Polish-woman-Krystyna-Pawlowski.html Back then they were probably using 303 enfields or the equivelant, plenty of them around and heaps of surplus ammo.

There are a few around now over 5m and that is the mark for being classed as a big croc. I dont know how big the one in the above story is.

They are protected and there are plenty more of them then the 90's when I lived in the Northern Territory and they are getting more and more big guys (the big ones are all males the females dont get much bigger than 3M). The biggest problem is their range is increasing every year as the new ones get kicked out of their turf by the older ones and they have to spread further and further south. When I lived in Townsville in the 80's we never thought about or saw crocs, now they are in the river that runs thru Townsville and they are seen off the local beaches:blink:. In my time we just had to worry about the sharks and stingers:rolleyes:.

19092402-7492839-image-a-21_1569813796301.jpg

untitled2.png

untitled.png

WOW!!!  How many kilos does that little guy weigh?

No Idea, Wife saw it on Facebook. No other information about it. Maybe one of our pards down under can fill us in.

There was a croc called Sweetheart that was captured many years ago but died and was stuffed and put into the local Museum. He was the same size as the one in the story so here are his stats:

Common name:    Saltwater Crocodile or 'Estuarine' Crocodile

Scientific name:    Crocodylus porosus

Total weight:        780 kg

Total length:         5.1 m

Snout-vent length:  2.4 m

Maximum girth:     2.3 m

Sex:                 Male

Stomach contents:  Pig bones and bristles, two Long-necked turtles and parts of a large barramundi

There was a croc called Sweetheart that was captured many years ago but died and was stuffed and put into the local Museum. He was the same size as the one in the story so here are his stats:

Stomach contents:  Pig bones and bristles, two Long-necked turtles and parts of a large barramundi

And further at sometime the parts of an Aboriginal female ...was eventually illegally killed by people unknown..Sweetheart was reputed to have pulled a big chunk out of an outboard motor..she now sits in the Darwin museum..years ago when I visited I was told in no uncertain terms to NOT' take a photograph, something about it deteriorates the skin of the crocodile..someone with more knowledge than I will no what that means !!  [ photosynthesis..or something ]

I thought that was his young daughter with him in the pic... turns out it's his wife. :huh:

(Unless the news got it wrong, of course)

Don't know about Australia, but I've heard that in some parts of the good old US of A, she could be both.:D

Snout-vent 2.4m?

Dear Lord ...
Was I out looking for something like this and carrying the biggest bore boomer I've got ...
I seriously think I'd catfoot away and call in either artillery or an air strike!

Lemme guess.

They caught it on a RatLtrap on a private lake, right?:D

Anybody that was stationed at Benning and watched Sportman's Lodge on the local CBS affiliate will recognize the reference.  That was the stock answer for any big fish caught in the weekly contests.

Snout-vent 2.4m?

This is from a UN book on the management of captive crocodiles.

"The disadvantage with total length is that tail tips are so frequently lost. A more reliable measure is snout-vent length. This is less convenient to record because the crocodile must be held on its back. The measurement is taken from the snout tip to the front (anterior) extremity of the vent slit (cloaca). Belly width, as used in measuring skins, varies with a crocodile's breathing and is not recommended for comparing the size of live crocodiles."

Archived