SASS Wire Forum

Box of old Winchester ammo

Chili Pepper Pete 11917

I would guess it to be 1900-1930 era and worth $50-$100 from the little I have seen. I use stuff like this as props for my photos that I use for articles. I assume you got it for a song, so good find. I should be so lucky.

Edit: Here's a box for $325.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/837597525

Keep in mind condition is everything. The one in the auction is sealed, unopened, so it is substantially higher than one on worn condition. I recommend taking it to a gun show and find a ammo collector dealer (Not just an ammo dealer.) and see what they feel it's worth. I'm going to guess much lower than the $325. Or check out Gunbrokers' completed auctions to see what they are actually selling for. Either way, keep it safe as it is a cool piece of history.

That’s definitely a nice find. $200-$350.00 for sure. Condition is everything and that appears to be in pretty good condition.

Thank you all for the information,  that was a huge help.   Good eye on the one Remington shell,  I never would have caught that and really haven’t look at the shells that much as for fear of ruining the box.

Thank you all again 

Best regards,

Chili

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me for being unfamiliar with the ammo itself,  but in the pic, some of the primers look struck.   Or were they manufactured with that dent or stamp? 

Manufactured with that shape...

Archived