SASS Wire Forum

Ever hear of Frank Sinatra being interested in fast draw?

Alpo

Was watching an episode of To Tell The Truth. Arvo Ojala.

One of the panel asked contestant number one who, of all the western tv stars, was the fastest. He said Sammy Davis Junior. While I am aware that Davis was exceedingly quick, I'm not sure I would think that 1 (or was it 2?) guest spots on The Rifleman would make him a western TV star. :huh: I've read in a few different places that the fastest Western TV star was Hugh O'Brien.

Another panelist asked contestant number 3 if he would agree with that, and he said either Sammy or Frank Sinatra.

I've never heard of Sinatra playing with fast draw. Both Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis (and Jerry was extremely fast), but not Sinatra.

The first panelist voted for number one because, "I know Sammy is very fast". And number one did turn out to be Arvo.

From Wikipedia

“Arvo Ojala

BornFebruary 21, 1920

Seattle, Washington, United States

DiedJuly 1, 2005 (aged 85)

Gresham, Oregon, United States

OccupationTechnical advisor, marksman, stuntman

Arvo Ojala (February 21, 1920 in Seattle, Washington – July 1, 2005 in Gresham, Oregon) was a Hollywood technical advisor on the subject of quick-draw with a revolver.[1] He also worked as an actor; his most famous role was that of the unnamed man shot by Marshal Matt Dillon in the opening sequences of the long-running television series Gunsmoke. As a joke on the producers, James Arness and Arvo actually did the opener once with Dillon falling to the ground.”

Its my limited understanding that way back in the 'western' tv era, A LOT of Hollywood

elites were involved in shooting sports, especially quick draw stuff.

Someone once posted a pic on the SASS Wire of a large group of quick draw shooters at

some event and there were quite a few Hollywood stars in that pic.

..........Widder

One panelist asked contestant number one (Arvo) how long it took to make an episode of Gunsmoke. He said three days.

Then the panelist asked contestant number to the same question. He said he didn't know. He had only been involved in the opening sequence. That he had never been there for an entire episode being shot.

I thought that was a great answer.

Archived