SASS Wire Forum

WTC Shotgun From Different Locations With A Twist

Cypress Sun

Round count doesn't apply/Shooter is using a '97.

Stage is: Shoot 2 shotgun from left table. Move to center table and shoot 2 more shotgun. Move to far right table and shoot your pistols and rifle. Then shoot 2 more shotgun.

Shooter shoots first 2 from left table, moves. Shoots 2 more from center table, moves. On the way to the right table, shooter ejects spent shell/closes the action/pulls the trigger so that the hammer is fully down/loads 2 in the tube/goes to right table and lays the shotgun down in a safe manner. At right table the shooter shoots the rifle/pistols correctly and then picks up the shotgun to finish the stage. No misses, No P's.

What is the call, if any?

I dare to give a try. There's imho a lot to call:

Staging the SG on the table with the two shells in the tube violates SHB 23.2 p.16:

A shotgun is considered SAFE to leave the shooter’s hands in the following condition only:
- Empty.

Closing the action and dry firing on the move conflicts with this:

SHB 23.2 p.16:

A shotgun is considered SAFE for movement (in hand, while moving through a stage) in the following condition only:
- Action open, round in chamber or on carrier.
- Hammer(s) fully down on an empty chamber(s) or expended round(s), action closed.

SHB 23.2 p.23 (SDQ overview):

- Changing location with a long gun with the action closed and the hammer cocked.

I'd say SDQ ...?

Equanimous

SHB page 16

A shotgun is considered SAFE to leave the shooter’s hands in the following condition only: - Empty.

SHB page 17

If the long gun is not discarded empty prior to the next firearm being fired, only the shooter may return to open and/or clear the firearm at the end of the stage under the observation of the CRO/TO. Should an empty casing/hull be ejected or found in the action or chamber, or a live round on the carrier of an open action, a Minor Safety Violation (MSV) will be assessed.

I would call a MSV.

MSV was earned when they shot the first round out of the pistol/rifle for the rounds loaded/left in the SG. Condition what was correctable up till that point.

I'm standing in line at Walt Disney world and will let you quote the references.

Minor Safety Violation (MSV) infractions include:

- Leaving empty or live round(s) in a magazine, action, or carrier of the long gun in which it was loaded

SHB p.22

NO PENALTY for making the shotgun "Safe for movement" by closing the action and dry-firing to drop the hammer on the empty chamber.

Also safe for restaging in that condition, but NOT with rounds in the magazine.

Thanks folks, I was pretty sure that this was the case but I wasn't 100% sure.

Branchwater Jack, I'd rather eat a fireant mound than go to Disney......good luck and try to maintain your patience.

Archived