SASS Wire Forum

Primers question

Tell Sackett SASS 18436

Been using Winchester since the beginning. I've always heard they were the hardest. I'm having an issue with my wifes new 32s. It has to be the primers or the hammer spring is too light. The first thing i want to try is some primers that are easier to bust. What are the best along those lines?

Federal. But I would avoid being tied to one primer. Your guns should be tuned to pop those Winchester's too. We've been caught needing Federals and there were none to be had. 

All just my opinion of course.

I believe that CCI primers are the hardest.

I once had a well-known cowboy gunsmith ask to look at my original Bisley.  He asked if I used CCI primers (slight bend in the firing pin).  I responded, "Used to."

Winchesters, Magtechs and Fiocchi are medium hard.

I always been told that Federal are softest.

Federal and S and B.

I hope that doesn't mean that we can hurt their feelings !  :D:D:D

Hope they work even better that the old ones.

Well, If I offend them they might as well just get over it. 

Blackfoot:P

Federal and Remington, Winchesters will go off in my Colts though so if I can get 'em at a decent price I'll buy 'em!

It has to be the primers or the hammer spring is too light. 

For any primers to ignite crushing the anvils - they have to be hit by the firing pin ... HARD & FAST

Your hammer spring needs more force

Many years ago I used winchester but when they changed from the silver to the gold ones I had ignition issues so I switched to cci. May have been a bad batch but I’ve never had problems with cci. Only bought winchester when cci wasn’t available. I’ve lightened my ruger and marlin springs but never enough to affect primer detonation. I’ve had to buy federals though to use in an antique 1905 mannlicher 7.65 automatic that has a very light hammer spring. 

Another thing to check is that your primers are actually being fully seated. My hornady LnL had the primer seat start wearing in to the soft aluminum body. I had to jb weld on a steel square where it was contacting the body of the press and now my primers seat fully again and my light strike issues went away.

Federal 100 standard small pistol primers. Don't try the 200 magnums - they're harder.

There's lots of specs & opinions that the 100's & 200's fire the same, but my rifle likes 100's & does not like 200's. I know other cowboys with the same experience.

Federal 100 standard small pistol primers. Don't try the 200 magnums - they're harder.

There's lots of specs & opinions that the 100's & 200's fire the same, but my rifle likes 100's & does not like 200's. I know other cowboys with the same experience.

Max, you need to take Widder’s advice on your rifle and pull the trigger harder! ;)

Kajun

Fiocchis are just as soft as Federals in my experience and way cheaper here in OZ.

Had too many problems with Winchester. Using the last of them in 45 acp. Now using only Federal

On the subject of primers - I have heard people complain about CCI and Winchester primers feeding in a Dillon Press - I've heard there are problems with Federals in a Lee press - I've heard that a few years back Dillon also recommended against Federal primers. 

Has anyone had problems with YOUR setup mixing these primer/press combinations ??   It seems like everyone has a "friend" with a problem but it is hard to get an honest "This is what happened to me and this is why" story.   It would seem like an honest to goodness problem would be well documented by the Press-Manufacturer or possibly even an industry response from Primer-Manufacturers that offer legitimate tech insight but the best I can find is blanket comments amount incompatibility or liability. 

Sensitivity seems like a no-brainer.  If you put light springs in a firearm, it might not set off the primer.  Easy enough to understand.  

If your primers are TOO sensitive, then wouldn't that equate to what is possibly a dangerous situation when those primers are stacked on top of each other in the mag-tube of a lever action rifle?

I'm always looking to learn the "why" of problems like these.....

Archived