SASS Wire Forum

Would you reuse it?

Alpo

I am often amazed that officers wearing a vest are hit by a bullet that missed the vest entirely 

I met an officer at Second Chance that answered a family dispute call and took 2 rounds of OO buck point blank to the vest. He said 3 of the pellets missed the vest and hit him. Afterward his entire torso turned black and blue but he survived thanks to the vest. The perp wasn't wearing a vest and the officer's six 125gr Super Vels didn't miss even after taking the double blast.

"Afterward his entire torso turned black and blue but he survived thanks to the vest"

Even though the vest stops the projectiles, there is still blunt force trauma. We had an officer shot while wearing a vest. The bullet was stopped, but he had damage to internal organs and finally went out on a medical.  

Side Note; I did electrical work at a place called Barnett International. The manufacture cross bows there and ship to dealers/retailers in the US and World. The local police department (Tarpon Springs PD) brought one of their newest vest there for testing. Barnett brought out there newest, most powerful crossbow and shot the vest. The vest was set up on a life size torso dummy. The crossbow bolt went through the front of the vest and was sticking 1/2 way out the back side. I couldn't believe it but I had watched the whole demonstration. I don't think I would trust one against a crossbow. 

A ballistic vest is not the same as a vest to resist a knife.  A prison Correction Officer is better off with a vest that will protect them from slashing and puncture than from a bullet so they usually wear those type.  But I don't know of any vest that would stop a crossbow bolt, (I could be wrong, but I've never heard of one).

A ballistic vest is not the same as a vest to resist a knife.  A prison Correction Officer is better off with a vest that will protect them from slashing and puncture than from a bullet so they usually wear those type.  But I don't know of any vest that would stop a crossbow bolt, (I could be wrong, but I've never heard of one).

Only a max level ceramic plate vest would do that. 

Archived