SASS Wire Forum

The Mental Game

Ozark Okie

I'm still in my first year of shooting...sorting out guns, ammo, techniques, etc. (comes much more slowly in my 70s than it would have in my 40s). Realizing more and more the importance of the mental aspects of preparing for and shooting a stage/match. Regarding that, are there techniques that experienced shooters use to prepare for each stage, memory techniques for target sequences (more than once, my mind has blanked at the buzzer) or other things to do/not do. Thanks for any suggestions or insights to the mental game.   

OO

I try to watch a stage being shot for a while..(I try not to be the first shooter).. :huh:

Being a spotter helps with that.. :mellow:

The other  shooters can show you what to do or what not to do shooting the stage..

Once at the loading table.. load yer guns.. :)

DO NOT visit with the shooters before ya or behind ya.. Or the LT officer.. :rolleyes:

I go over and over how "I" want to shoot the stage and

not watch the previous shooters..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' there'll be better tips than this from better shooters..

How competitive do you think you'll be? You planning on being the next State, Regional, National, or World Champ, or just trying not to embarrass yourself at the monthly?

As for going blank at the "BEEP," it happens to a lot of us.

Rance made some good suggestions. Don't try to overload you mind for now. Experience is a great teacher. Don't be afraid to say, " Hey guys, I'm new to this. If you see anything that would help me do better, let me know." 

At 60+ I'll never be a top shooter but here's what works for me. I usually volunteer to spot right off the bat. It helps me cement the target sequence in memory and on stages where there are different gun orders or directions of movement possible it lets me see what works. At the LT it's dry run how I'm going to run the stage in my mind. And with that I still have times where I go blank at the buzzer! 

I listen to the stage directions, ask questions on unclear portions, once I feel I've got the sequence down I clear out to avoid the "I'm gonna shoot it this way or other such distracting conversations."  I too like to spot first to get the order more firmly implanted in memory.  I like to shoot near the end.  I try to use the same routine at the loading table (rifle first, pistols, brush out shotgun chambers, check for shotgun ammo, spare pistol and rifle loads, check screws and base pins on guns.  Shadow shoot the stage.  Try to blank out the previous stage and whatever happened there.  But, when the timer goes it can all go down the rabbit hole.

Quite a few matches/categories are won before you get to the range.

Do you have guns that fit you and that are absolutely mechanically reliable, or are you experiencing jams, fumbling?  Are your holsters and shotshell belt/slide restricting your draw and shell grab?   Do you absolutely trust your ammunition or are you having squibs or failures to fire?  It’s impossible to completely focus on the stage if you are worrying about potential problems with your guns, ammunition, and equipment.  Do whatever you have to do to eliminate these distractions,  and practice your transitions so they become so ingrained they are automatic.   When you eliminate these concerns, focusing on the stage is much easier.

It doesn’t matter if I go first, last or in the middle. When that buzzer goes off it’s .......well you know!:lol:

If you want best advice for mental preparation for this game, here it is: when you go to a match, get yourself to become a 6 year old again, and play Cowboy!

When its your turn don't think about shooting the stage fast. That will cause problems most of the time.  Only shoot as fast as you can acquire your sights on the target.

Rance covered it pretty well.  One thing I would add: once I'm loaded up and waiting my turn,  I will close my eyes and go over the stage as one of the shooters ahead of me shoots it. Don't watch them,  they might screw it up and that won't help you. 

Good luck, 

BS

I try to follow a fast shooter.  When that isn't possible I have to try to get the rhythm of the previous shooter out of my mind. Otherwise, I'm almost sure to keep that same slow rhythm.   

Thanks for all the feedback and the suggestions. I'm reading them carefully...and have started reading the Doc Shapiro book...thanks Yusta. Quick Cal's 50 shot drill has good suggestions for working on target sequences, an area that I need to improve. I pretty much have my guns and ammo to the point where I don't worry about them doing their jobs. And I have developed pretty dependable routines for my gear, loading, etc. I'm not a very fast shooter just in terms of working actions and pulling triggers, so I wont be competing with all the faster, younger shooters (or the faster, older shooters...and there are lots of those). I'm OK competing with myself and working to continually improve. The mental concentration is what I'm really trying to focus on now. Of course, I wont mind if that helps me get a little faster!

Thanks again, I really appreciate all your responses.   

OO

Your guns and ammo need to be absolutely familiar and completely reliable. You need to have them work automatically. Watch earlier shooters to ensure that you know the target sequences. In my 80s, I find that tricky scenarii can trick me up so I don't rush them.

Mostly, I just have a hoot!!!!

Before you go to the cart rehearse the stage.  Have a plan and stick to it.  Visualize shooting the stage.  How relaxed you are.

Depending on how complex the stage is I visualize it at the loading area 4 or 5 times and more if needed, often shadow shooting.  Relax

I sometime check screws on my revolvers or rifle.

I go through a relaxation technique right before I move up to the stage to shoot.

While staging my firearms I usually go through the sequence one more time looking at the top 1/3 of the targets.

As I wait for the buzzer I take a couple deep breathes and relax only looking at the firearm or target (bottom 1/3).

If I have a bad stage I rehearse it again visually correct and go to the next stage.

Problems-At yesterdays match we have a couple tough sequences.  While visualizing my pistol and rifle I forgot to include the shotgun.  Guess what?

During my first stage I cocked my revolver at the wrong window.   We all have bad matches or stages now and then.  The more you practice the less mistakes you will make.  Have fun and stay relaxed.  Hope this helps.

When you're visualizing the stage include the start. See yourself in the start position. In your mind, say the starting line. Hear the TO say "Stand By". Hear the beep. What do you do next? See yourself reach for the first gun or go through the saloon doors or... Incorporate as many details into you pre-stage visualization, then it won't be a surprise when it happens.

For the mental aspects of any shooting game:  Practical Shooting by Brian Enos

be.book_.1.jpg.6eb56c7868535ef95be6680fb2462b5f.jpg

https://brianenos.com/shop/shoppractical-shooting-beyond-fundamentals/

As a new shooter, I'd recommend 'Breaking the Shot' by Joel "Doc" Shapiro

2083843581_51ULvnbl2YL._SX387_BO1204203200_.jpg.3d3eafa9e0d36b4d0549a9af0d1e3c5b.jpg

http://www.laststand.org/index.html 

Meanwhile, you need to practice the non-shooting aspects,  Transitions, Shotgun Shell Manipulation, Shotgun loading and shucking, moving whichever way you are less comfortable with... (right to left?)  First shot drills.  The more comfortable you are with the required actions, the less the buzzer causes brain freeze.

This may sound dumb, but for me it starts with translating the stage.  I shoot gunfighter.  I find that the Posse leader usually explains the stage for the typical shooter who shoots each pistol separately.  If necessary I clarify with the Posse leader  any questions that I may have.  I don't like to shoot first and I don't care to shoot last.  I will watch certain shooters to see how they approach certain aspects of the stage.  Once I'm at the loading table and have everything set to go, I'll close my eyes and go through the stage in my mind couple of times.  When I'm called to the line, I'll set up my equipment and ask any final questions that may have come up.  In my mind, I run through the stage one more time before giving the ready signal.  This may sound time consuming, but in reality, it only takes a couple of seconds.  Last thing I continue to work on is maintaining concentration through the last target.  I can't tell you how many times I've missed the last target because I broke concentration too soon.

Create a stage protocol, and follow it, the same way, every time you shoot.  Each stage has its own challenges, and you don't want to introduce variables, just before you engage the stage. 

Know the stage before you shoot it;  if you're thinking about anything but the sights, you're thinking about the wrong thing.

From the loading table to the unloading table is YOUR time.  Be as fun and helpful as you want for the rest of the match,  but between the lines, gently but firmly insist on no distractions.

Remember, this is a game.  Keep it light, and you'll avoid throwing a wet blanket over yours, and your posse's enjoyment.

Cheers,

FJT

Sounds like you're taking this game seriously.  To that I say FANTASTIC!  It also sounds like you're no stranger to competition, whether it be shooting or otherwise.  If you've ever competed in anything I think it's safe to assume you've heard of visualization.  It's practiced by elite athletes all over the world.  It's also practiced by those of us who only dream of being elite.  It's a sort of self-hypnosis.  As Mr FJT said above, the time from the loading table to the unloading table is YOUR time, use it to your advantage. 

My routine is to do my posse chores at the beginning of the stage.  When I get relieved I go to my gun cart, I take a few deep slow breathes to relax and clear my mind.  Once I'm relaxed I run through each and every movement of the stage two times.  After I've done that I gather up my guns and head to the loading table.  I get everything loaded up and then repeat the above sequence, relax and run through each movement twice.  By then I'm usually close to the front of the line.  All that's left is to stay as relaxed as possible through the entire stage.  I've already programmed my computer, just have to let it run.  It's what's called "being in the zone".  If you do it successfully you'll feel like you're moving in slow motion but your times will be great.   

The above mentioned books by Basham, Enos and Shapiro will all help you with the process. 

If you have to play a mental game as a SASS competitor:  then I call RED FLAG on you.  Nope not gonna apologize.  IF you are mental and have to play a game then you are obviously not orientated correctly and should run for House of Representatives as a non- traditional republican.  You are clearly of a mental state where  your local law enforcement entities must( to protect the general public and give a feeling of general safety and well being) vigorously and without regard to the Constitutional Rights of anyone invade your home and remove your guns and ammo to protect the rights and the times of anyone you might have to shoot in a timed event against.

Well, the last response kinda leaves me speechless....Muleshoe, maybe my use of the term mental game was not a good choice. I'm not trying to play games as a SASS competitor; just looking for suggestions of things that others have done - beyond the actual firing - to improve their shooting.

Thanks for the continuing feedback...from slowing down on tricky scenarios, pre-stage visualization and rehearsal, translation of the stage as gunfighter (gunfighter is hard for me to even score...maybe trying to translate a stage from a gunfighters point of view would be helpful for me...thanks Sarge). And thanks for all the book suggestions....will check them all out. 

Many thanks, OO   

Lots of good advice but I will add a little.  If I totally understand and am comfortable with a stage I go early.  If not I go over and over it in my mind and then when ready go to the load table.  At the point I feel comfortable with the stage I do not listen to others because I want to feel comfortable with my approach.  I do not watch the shooter before me because if they mess up I will start thinking negatively.  Think positively, even when done with the stage think about what went right with it.  Also, if you do mess up, laugh at it and enjoy the game.

Muleshoe, thanks for the follow up. My wife sometimes tells me I have no sense of humor; guess I did miss it in your case. Have to admit when I read your post, I said to myself....now, that would be an interesting guy to have a cup of coffee with...or to share a posse.  With that said, based on your sass number, you have been at this sport for awhile......how did you get better?

Thanks, OO  

OK, here's my philosophy on shooting SASS matches.

Be safe, enjoy the shoot and the pards you shoot with.

If this game is too stressful and your not having fun, it's way to expensive to continue.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Dang,  I thought FJT had won the lottery and moved away to his own island in the S.Pacific.

GREAT to see you on the Wire FJT.

There is a host of really, top notch info posted above.  You might be able to adapt to some of it quickly and

some info might seem to hinder you.   Just take it 1 step at a time.

I like to shoot early, even 1st if possible.   I come to shoot and have fun, not stand around worrying about

what someone else might do, yet I learn a lot from watching others that I might be able to adapt

at another point in time.

I'm never nervous.  Get all this crap about nervousness out of your system.   You came to shoot with your

friends and nervousness isn't included in any stage scenarios that I have ever seen...... ;)

Besides Safety and Have Fun, I basically have 1 guideline that I like to include in my matches..... I try

to minimize small talking at the Loading Table.   This can hinder your stage concentration AND more

importantly, can become a Safety factor.  You could end up leaving the LT with a cocked hammer on

your rifle (presently a Penalty) or even a live round under the hammer on a pistol.

As others have mentioned, don't overthink it.   Its a fun game and should be approached as such.

Best regards.   And Merry Christmas to all my Wire Pards.

..........Widder  (Walkin in a Widder Wonderland)

I'm never nervous.  Get all this crap about nervousness out of your system.   You came to shoot with your

friends and nervousness isn't included in any stage scenarios that I have ever seen...... ;)

Widder, after reading your comment about nervousness I thought about the way my hands shake at the unloading table.  I shake from eagerness to do it again!  So if you are like me and notice your heart pumping and hands shaking after shooting a stage don’t mistake eagerness and excitement for nervousness.  When I get to the unloading table and I find I’m calm, it will be time to retire from shooting.

Widder, after reading your comment about nervousness I thought about the way my hands shake at the unloading table.  I shake from eagerness to do it again!  So if you are like me and notice your heart pumping and hands shaking after shooting a stage don’t mistake eagerness and excitement for nervousness.  When I get to the unloading table and I find I’m calm, it will be time to retire from shooting.

It's the Adrenaline rush - - the spice of life! 

J-Bar, 

you make a good and valid point.

Although I addressed the 'nervous' issue,  I have tried to tell a lot of shooters not to let their 'anxieties'

become a 'nervous' issue.

I think some folks over-think a stage so much that they interject nervousness into their game.

And I was just hoping to help Ozark Okie with his stage preparation info.

Merry Christmas.

..........Widder

Muleshoe, thanks for the follow up. My wife sometimes tells me I have no sense of humor; guess I did miss it in your case. Have to admit when I read your post, I said to myself....now, that would be an interesting guy to have a cup of coffee with...or to share a posse.  With that said, based on your sass number, you have been at this sport for awhile......how did you get better?

Thanks, OO  

I didnt

Archived