SASS Wire Forum

Rye Miles #13621

Had a couple of those over the years.  Liked the profit they brought more than the guns. 

To each his own , this gun shoots great!! 

Bought my first one for $150 in a pawn shop.  Owner let me have it for the balance owed against it.  That was late 80's.  Sold it a few years later for $900.

Made about the same profit on a second one in the late 90s.  

No denying they are great shooting guns, though.  But I can tweak the action on a 686 nice enough to make me not regret selling the Colt.  

Well good for you!!

Isn’t it something, you put a picture of a gun on here that you love and people put it down. I thought the saloon was better than that!:blink:

Don’t let it get you down, Rye. 

Rye, 

That is a very nice revolver. Is that a new one that you just picked up or is that the one you got a while back?

I have never owned a Colt revolver. I have always wanted a Detective Special and an Official Police. The Detective Special just because all of the detective’s in the black and white movies of old carried one and the Official Police because of Mayberry RFD. Barney Fife’s Gun was the Official Police but I know he also carried a model 10 S&W a couple of times. I have one of those. 

I got the S&W revolver bug so I haven’t put a lot of effort into getting Colts. I may have to remedy that someday. ;)

Don’t let it get you down, Rye. 

Rye, 

That is a very nice revolver. Is that a new one that you just picked up or is that the one you got a while back?

I have never owned a Colt revolver. I have always wanted a Detective Special and an Official Police. The Detective Special just because all of the detective’s in the black and white movies of old carried one and the Official Police because of Mayberry RFD. Barney Fife’s Gun was the Official Police but I know he also carried a model 10 S&W a couple of times. I have one of those. 

I got the S&W revolver bug so I haven’t put a lot of effort into getting Colts. I may have to remedy that someday. ;)

This is the one I got a while back, I figured I’d take a better picture of it. I’ve shot it twice already including today so I’m kinda hyped! 
I had a Detective Special and I’m sorry I sold it. Check out the new Cobra and King Cobra. Good luck in your search !

Rye, that looks like the one I had to sell when times were tough.  Thanks for finding it for me!  I’d be happy to buy it back!!  ;)

Rye, that looks like the one I had to sell when times were tough.  Thanks for finding it for me!  I’d be happy to buy it back!!  ;)

:lol: I’ll tell my son to get a hold of you when I leave this world!;)

Rye,

That is a great looking Python.  From my personal experience there is not a sweeter shooting revolver anywhere.

Shoot it and enjoy it.  You will love shooting double action with it.

I have three of them, I will be selling two in the near future because I am getting old and decrepit and I want to find good homes for my favorite guns.

I will keep one for my estate to deal with, it will probably be the last gun I own.

Duffield

One of the prettiest double actions ever made.

This is the one I got a while back, I figured I’d take a better picture of it. I’ve shot it twice already including today so I’m kinda hyped! 
I had a Detective Special and I’m sorry I sold it. Check out the new Cobra and King Cobra. Good luck in your search !

Well, I have a couple more S&W’s to get before my Colts. None will happen for a while. I have bought 4 guns in the last 3 months. I figure if I buy any more any time soon I might be shot with one of them. :lol:

Funny but not so funny story. A few years ago I was looking at Cabela’s Gun Library on line. I found a Colt Detective in excellent condition for  $400. Someone put a low price on it.  I should have called immediately to put it on hold but I called my wife to let her know about my intention to buy it first. When I got through to the Gun Library a guy in the store had just told them he wanted to buy it. I missed out. I’ll never make that mistake again. I would have had my Colt. 

Well, I have a couple more S&W’s to get before my Colts. None will happen for a while. I have bought 4 guns in the last 3 months. I figure if I buy any more any time soon I might be shot with one of them. :lol:

Funny but not so funny story. A few years ago I was looking at Cabela’s Gun Library on line. I found a Colt Detective in excellent condition for  $400. Someone put a low price on it.  I should have called immediately to put it on hold but I called my wife to let her know about my intention to buy it first. When I got through to the Gun Library a guy in the store had just told them he wanted to buy it. I missed out. I’ll never make that mistake again. I would have had my Colt. 

$400 is a good price for a DS in good condition. They’ll be another one out there for ya ! 

Bought mine for about $350 , sold it for $2200

Mine is a 4 inch and still have it...Paid $256 in 76....Now consider it a family heirloom...Youngest has laid claim to it...But she just can not take it out of the USA....Lives in Ibiza....

Texas Lizard

Isn’t it something, you put a picture of a gun on here that you love and people put it down. I thought the saloon was better than that!:blink:

And a Python, no less. To me that's un-American. :FlagAm:

To all those going "mehhh..." over a Python, I bet you still wouldn't mind finding one under the Christmas tree.

That's a beautiful looking gun.  I have one in nickel finish that I picked up years ago when a gun shop in northeast Baltimore was closing up.  I managed to hold on to it when I lost my job back in 2009 and I'm sure glad that I did.

To all those going "mehhh..." over a Python, I bet you still wouldn't mind finding one under the Christmas tree.

There is a reason some folks are "mehh" over owning Pythons besides the cost. I have always loved the looks of a Python,  but I started shooting PPC back in the day with tuned Smiths due to cost. When I finally bought a Python I had shot Smiths long enough I found I actually did not like the feel of the Python action. Although butter smooth there is a very distinct "stacking" to the DA trigger pull that a Smith does not have. If you shoot it single action only you'll never notice it but for me it's a deal breaker to own one and I know a lot of others that had the same thing happen to them. That said it sure doesn't stop me from admiring a nice clean Python like Rye's and if ya want to put one under my tree I won't mind.

Howdy,

When you find that shooter that just works right for YOU, never 

offer to sell it unless you know you can replace it and have some green

for your work.

I sell only when Im done with it.

The only guy I ever met who can break this rule is Chief AJ.

He just sells awesome guns and then builds another one.

Best

CR

I allus thought those were M&Ps...B)

Some were. But I don’t have a Colt Detective and that’s my excuse for getting one someday...I just have to find a smokin’ deal on one. ;)

Some were. But I don’t have a Colt Detective and that’s my excuse for getting one someday...I just have to find a smokin’ deal on one. ;)

I seen one at a pawn shop here for $450.00, nice shape, no box. It is an old one with NO shroud which is less desirable than the ones with the shroud from what I hear! I had one about 10 years ago and sold it, I was trying to come up with some dollars for a couple Colts SAA, I wish I would have kept it!:(

The python is a beautiful gun no doubt about it. But I’ll take a Smith any day. As a range master we always put the python shooters off by themselves because they spit shavings so bad. From the retention position they actually drew blood through the officers shirt 

I still remember the first time I saw a Python in the gun case and the owner wouldn’t let me touch. Probably a good idea since I was about ten and drooling mightily over the gun. Mighta got it to rusting or something bad like that. 

It’s always been one of the most beautiful guns ever built in my not-so-humble opinion. 

Archived