SASS Wire Forum

Poncho for hunting

Sedalia Dave

Looking for a lead on a wet weather poncho for hunting that doesn't smell like a PCV factory.

So far everything I have found has an odor. and if my nose can smell it then I know everything with 4 legs can.

Try Sheplers.com. They have the Outback Trading Co packable poncho.

My old US Military poncho doesn’t smell like that.  And, it’s not noisy.  Of course, i don’t know about the new ones.  Seems like everything today is “water repellant” and not “water proof”.  Anyway, find one of those at a military surplus store if you’re of a mind to try one.  My old one is waterproof and I’ve worn it in very heavy rains.

It’s likely that everything like a new poncho, if new, will have some residual odor.  You could hang it outdoors on a fence or clothesline for several days to let it breath or bleed out all the residual aromatics from manufacturing and fabrication.

Cat Brules

It’s funny SD, I looked everywhere I know for this. There used to be a hunting garment company that sold “scent free” ponchos. I remember them being sold at Bass Pro back in 2005. I was looking for something to take for surprise rain storms when I went fishing.
I recall 2 things.

1. The price was high. 
2. It was heavier than I wanted to wear in the summer. 

I cannot remember the name of the company. Heck, it could have been Red Head, BP’s brand name. 

Sorry I couldn’t help. 

Archived