SASS Wire Forum

Anyone know what the difference is?

Alpo

When probation stopped Seagram's came out with two whiskeys.

Five Crown and Seven Crown.

After World War II they quit making Five Crown. All that is left is Seagram's Seven Crown.

They both are/were "blended American whiskey". What was the difference?

I can find many sites offering to sell me Five Crown memorabilia, or empty bottles, or even the occasional unopened bottle.

But I can't find anything about what the difference between Five and Seven was.

It could have been proof - 80 vs 90. It could have been aging - 5 years vs 7. I don't know.

And I want to know.

When probation stopped Seagram's came out with two whiskeys.

I didn't know they were on probation.  Prohibition might have taken place at that point in history, however.:P:P:P:P

Remember Jack Danels Green Label...?  Know the difference?   :)

Hint:  Look closely at the "No. 7...."   :rolleyes:

jack-daniels-whiskey-green-label_grande.jpg?v=1505143744        Jack Daniels Black w travel bag

According to their website, Jack green is lighter in color, has a mellower flavor, and is not aged as long as Jack black.

That's slightly puzzling, since I have always understood that aging is what mellows the whiskey. So 5 years in the keg should be mellower than 3 years in the keg.

I didn't know they were on probation. 

Of course you didn't know they were on probation. Dean Wormer had them on DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION. No one knew.

Actually I am going to blame that on Otto Korikt.

According to their website, Jack green is lighter in color, has a mellower flavor, and is not aged as long as Jack black.

That's slightly puzzling, since I have always understood that aging is what mellows the whiskey. So 5 years in the keg should be mellower than 3 years in the keg.

It's been many years, but I've had it.  We'd buy it simply 'cuz it was cheaper and was still Jack.

Definitely not as smooth as "Black Label."  Which is the OLD No. 7.    ;)

Marketing speak.

Remember Jack Danels Green Label...?  Know the difference?   :)

Hint:  Look closely at the "No. 7...."   :rolleyes:

jack-daniels-whiskey-green-label_grande.jpg?v=1505143744        Jack Daniels Black w travel bag

Has anyone heard of Jack Daniel's No 27 Gold? Only available in Tennessee, aged in a new white oak barrel then "finished" in a maple barrel. Got to try it when we toured the distillery. Smooth as silk, wish I'd got a picture of the bottle. 

Has anyone heard of Jack Daniel's No 27 Gold? Only available in Tennessee, aged in a new white oak barrel then "finished" in a maple barrel. Got to try it when we toured the distillery. Smooth as silk, wish I'd got a picture of the bottle. 

No... but I'd like to.   :blush:

$104.99  

Jack Daniel's No 27 Gold Double Barreled

My experience with Scotch whisky shows this to be largely true.  Unfortunately, to get anything I can even keep down my throat means it has to be aged at least 15 years, if not 18.  The 15 year stuff is running about $165, and the 18 year (which is much, much better) is almost $300.

Don't know about that aging whiskey.  I kept some almost a week one time, and couldn't tell a difference.

Why on earth would you do something like that?

Archived