SASS Wire Forum

Night shoot at Doc Hollidays

Captain Bill Burt

It all worked out better than I'd hoped. I will use better paint and more lights next time though.

It was a great time and the Georgia Gypsy's chili was excellent!

Night Targets.jpeg

With no background or foreground  visible, they look pretty difficult to shoot, especially to judge range.  I also would think the latent images on the eye retina might last into, and affect, later stages.   I bet there was also quite a cloud of bugs flying around them.  Pretty though! 

Surprisingly, they were very easy to see and judge and I only ended up with one miss over four stages. The rifle sights stood out very well against the colored targets. Pistol targets were pretty close, so no issue there. The "images" from the targets were no problem at all on the retina. I will however, use red or blue lights for the LT/ULT and ambient light in the background (behind us) the lights we had were bright and a bit of a problem. Only a moth or two around the blacklights. Bugs calm down a lot this time of year. We had 13 shooters (2 clean) and no complaints (if ya can believe that)! All had fun and we will do it again.

With no background or foreground  visible, they look pretty difficult to shoot, especially to judge range.  I also would think the latent images on the eye retina might last into, and affect, later stages.   I bet there was also quite a cloud of bugs flying around them.  Pretty though! 

No misses or shotgun makeups on my part, though I did concentrate so much on seeing the targets I picked up a P on the third stage.  I've always had excellent night vision though, so that may have helped.

Surprisingly, they were very easy to see and judge and I only ended up with one miss over four stages. The rifle sights stood out very well against the colored targets. Pistol targets were pretty close, so no issue there. The "images" from the targets were no problem at all on the retina. I will however, use red or blue lights for the LT/ULT and ambient light in the background (behind us) the lights we had were bright and a bit of a problem. Only a moth or two around the blacklights. Bugs calm down a lot this time of year. We had 13 shooters (2 clean) and no complaints (if ya can believe that)! All had fun and we will do it again.

Looks kind of psychodelically FUN! 

That plays now.  Thanks!

If anyone is still having trouble with it, it's a Facebook video and all adblockers need to be off for that to work.

That's AWESOME by the way.  I've been thinking black lights and good quality glow paint would make an awesome night shoot, and it looks like it does!

I will try and make the next night shoot. 

I tried to get the wife to join me for a date night and chilli.........but she wanted to stay home and make love all night long.

maybe I'll have better luck next time!

(sarcasm added by the author for humor)

We did blacklights and fluorescent paint for the first time at the Gunsmoke night shoot this year. We usually just do an exhibition of fire but I think the targets showed up so well we'll do a real (short) match for 2020. 

I only had little sample size paints and a smallish light but it lit up really well. 2020 will be better.

Thank you Rainmaker for a wonderful time!!!  Never done this before but it was a HOOT!!!  Best part was accomplishing this as a donation match for the VA hospital veterans in Dublin, GA.  Georgia Gypsy did her outstanding job as usual but not only with the chili, but the sweet cornbread, sweet tea, and brownies during the awards!!!

I can't wait to try this again!!!  Hopefully other Cowboys and Cowgirls in the area will come to make it even bigger next time.

Stage 5 and 6.jpg

Thanks Marshal, for posting the pic; shows a good ambidextrous night stage.

If you looked real close, you could see the broken pieces of clays back behind the targets (and in the foreground); they looked like glowing embers.

This was so much fun; I hope more join next time.

Archived